The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Getting Condon was good. Signing Paajarvi was good, trading for McKenna is looking solid.

Credit where credit is due. Swift is way over the top with his cheerleading but Dorion has some nice moves to his name.

I mean I don't even know if you can qualify picking a guy on waivers and trading a 5th for a backup goalie good moves... Especially that Condon is terrible and Dorion gave him a fat contract.

Paajarvi.. Like Stalberg I'm not even sure he lands a contract next season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I mean I don't even know if you can qualify picking a guy on waivers and trading a 5th for a backup goalie good moves... Especially that Condon is terrible and Dorion gave him a fat contract.

He could have not made those moves. He did and they worked out. Why is it so hard for some of you to admit it?

The Condon contract has been a disaster but, from all accounts, it is due to health issues. I'm not sure it is fair to pin that on Dorion.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Getting Condon was good. Signing Paajarvi was good, trading for McKenna is looking solid.

Credit where credit is due. Swift is way over the top with his cheerleading but Dorion has some nice moves to his name.

man is that ever a low bar for nice moves.

not to say they dont help the team because it did. but such a low bar.

his good moves were brassard to pitts (we still lost a 25 year old two way 1st line c so really wtf?) and Gaborik going on LTIR. again a very low bar.

one of the worst gms in the nhl.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
My standard for good moves is just different than yours.

Has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with honesty.

I never said they were wonderful or great moves. He made some low risk moves that have worked out rather well, end of story. If they aren't nice moves, what are they?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Paajarvi.. Like Stalberg I'm not even sure he lands a contract next season.
We wanted to sign stalberg. So did a bunch of other teams. He didn’t.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We wanted to sign stalberg. So did a bunch of other teams. He didn’t.

We wanted to sign Stalberg, and we were his first choice, but we didn't want to pay his salary ask, so we let him go to UFA.

Stalberg refused to budge from his asking price, and when he realized that NOBODY was going to give it to him and he lowered his price, most teams had already found someone for the roster spot he'd have taken up.

Stalberg got caught up in that grey area where he was still more than good enough to stay in the league, but not important enough that a younger guy couldn't do the job at like 90% effectiveness for like half the price, and waited too long to adjust his expectations.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with honesty.

I never said they were wonderful or great moves. He made some low risk moves that have worked out rather well, end of story. If they aren't nice moves, what are they?

It has nothing to do with honesty... For me signing a 4rth liner is not a nice move. These are the types of moves you don't critique when they turn out bad. You'll never see me critique the Paajarvi signing and you'll never see me be happy about it, he's a waiver wire pickup. The guy plays a replaceable role for league minimum, this is as much a nice deal as signing Carey to a contract or Paul.. That's not a good move jesus it's just something even the worst GMs of all time have been doing.

Just because a move is not bad doesn't means it's good.

The 2nd Brassard trade was genius and the 2nd Phaneuf deal was as well, the Paajarvi signing? Raise your standards man..

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We wanted to sign Stalberg, and we were his first choice, but we didn't want to pay his salary ask, so we let him go to UFA.

Stalberg refused to budge from his asking price, and when he realized that NOBODY was going to give it to him and he lowered his price, most teams had already found someone for the roster spot he'd have taken up.

Stalberg got caught up in that grey area where he was still more than good enough to stay in the league, but not important enough that a younger guy couldn't do the job at like 90% effectiveness for like half the price, and waited too long to adjust his expectations.
I don’t remember this being the story. He wanted to play near family. I doubt he’s getting anything near his asking price in Switzerland or whatever we.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don’t remember this being the story. He wanted to play near family. I doubt he’s getting anything near his asking price in Switzerland or whatever we.

I believe it was a case where since he didn't like the offers he was getting at the NHL level, he figured he'd make almost as much in the Swiss league and have a WAY easier season, both in length as well as travel-wise, and get to play Olympics as well.

Kind of a "If I'm only going to make 750k-$1mil, I'll do that overseas where I can be a star and extend my career" kind of thing.

I don't blame him, either. It's a good life if you can swing it. Beats being beat up playing a physical NHL game as a grinding winger and flying across the continent on the daily for the same price.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It has nothing to do with honesty... For me signing a 4rth liner is not a nice move. These are the types of moves you don't critique when they turn out bad.

Nate smiles and says hello

Reactions: coladin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Nilsson looking pretty good.

Wideman for a pick then he ended up on waivers.

Lazar for a 2nd(Formenton), who also ended up on waivers

Got a pretty good haul for Brassard, who is a salary dump this season

Many of his trades look bad at first to the uninitiated, and the stat watchers, but turn out to be good because of his ability to project young players. Dahlen/Burrows is a perfect example of that.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Many of his trades look bad at first to the uninitiated, and the stat watchers, but turn out to be good because of his ability to project young players. Dahlen/Burrows is a perfect example of that.
Brassard for zibanejad and a second wasn't good.

Getting a backup as late as he did? Should've went for one earlier

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

I see the points people are trying to make. But it all sounds like we’re on the titanic and happy that we passed Iceland.

He took a team that was a goal away from the finals, and turned it into a complete rebuild, while trying to load it up.

Not saying he hasn’t had any small victories, or that he couldn’t have future success, but we don’t celebrate coaches that win 10 games...just sayin.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

Burrows is out of hockey and we are still paying him.

Reactions: bert

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I see the points people are trying to make. But it all sounds like we’re on the titanic and happy that we passed Iceland.

He took a team that was a goal away from the finals, and turned it into a complete rebuild, while trying to load it up.

Not saying he hasn’t had any small victories, or that he couldn’t have future success, but we don’t celebrate coaches that win 10 games...just sayin.

We definitely are a sinking ship. My defending Dorion's very spotty track record isn't meant to mean I think things aren't that bad. I just feel the need to try to counter balance the, at times, crushing negativity.

The Senators are in for a good decade or more of treading water. It started with us not being able to retain Hossa and the trend has kept up: Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson, Turris, Karlsson and now Stone/Duchene.

This is going from 2005 to now. This franchise has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Even Edmonton has more. It's going to take a long, long time to stop sucking and even longer time to get back into the hunt for a Cup.

Most of us know this. I have come to terms with it. I still love hockey and I still love the Sens so I don't want this place to turn into an endless circle jerk of sadness.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He could have not made those moves. He did and they worked out. Why is it so hard for some of you to admit it?

The Condon contract has been a disaster but, from all accounts, it is due to health issues. I'm not sure it is fair to pin that on Dorion.
I see you’re point. They’re fair movies. Like. The bar is low but like yeah, we picked up a solid fourth liner.

But we acquired these guys it’s “great move!” But then when he lets them go or loses a guy in a bad trade and people moan, others respond with “who cares it’s just player x”. Which is my reaction to these good moves lol. GMs aren’t ranked on their ability to pick up low impact fourth liners and career back up goalies

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
And Dahlin is in the ahl putting up comparable numbers to Chlapik who many view as a good prospect here

Reactions: Deku

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
And Dahlin is in the ahl putting up comparable numbers to Chlapik who many view as a good prospect here

....and no matter what Burrows and Dahlen have or haven't done, we could've easily gotten a better player for him at the time of the trade. Dahlen was a hot prospect rising up the charts and had a lot of value. W sold low on him. That is never a smart move.

Reactions: inthewings

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We definitely are a sinking ship. My defending Dorion's very spotty track record isn't meant to mean I think things aren't that bad. I just feel the need to try to counter balance the, at times, crushing negativity.

The Senators are in for a good decade or more of treading water. It started with us not being able to retain Hossa and the trend has kept up: Heatley, Spezza, Alfredsson, Turris, Karlsson and now Stone/Duchene.

This is going from 2005 to now. This franchise has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. Even Edmonton has more. It's going to take a long, long time to stop sucking and even longer time to get back into the hunt for a Cup.

Most of us know this. I have come to terms with it. I still love hockey and I still love the Sens so I don't want this place to turn into an endless circle jerk of sadness.

So speaking of crushing negativity

I don't think the franchise was unable to retain Hossa. A little too much revisionism in that statement for me. He was signed and then traded. A dick move i agree with, but i didn't think it was a retention issue. Heatley came in and had, by far, this franchise's best 3 season run in terms of goal scoring and we made a cup final.

I also do not think that the Alfie and Spezza situations were retention related. The Alfie situation was a mess for sure but i don't think it was a retention issue. Spezza was older with chronic back issues and wanted out.

Turris was not a retention issue either. I look at that as a hockey decision. That player on that contract. No thank you. I get he was a great community guy but not signing him to a 6 by 6 deal was an astute move imo. Isn't Nashville in on the Duchene sweepstakes? Doesn't that say to you that they don't see Turris as a 2c on a cup contender ? And if there interedt in Duchene doesn't say that for you, look at his numbera in the 80 games at Nadhville since his hot start.

Stone, Duchene and Dzingle are 100% retention issues. Unfortunately, the shit show over the past two years has us at the point where guys won't sign. And it's not even entirely our shit show either...,that team down the 401 is using its financial might in a way that is causing problems for the league, not just us. The most credible stuff on Stone has the hold up based on bonus money. Toronto created that problem, not Melnyk. Wind it back two years and sure guys were getting some bonus money but what's happened in the past 18 months with signing bonuses is too much and will need to be addressed.

Inability to retain in the last 2 years. Sure i agree with that.

Since 2005. No. That's not true at all.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
....and no matter what Burrows and Dahlen have or haven't done, we could've easily gotten a better player for him at the time of the trade. Dahlen was a hot prospect rising up the charts and had a lot of value. W sold low on him. That is never a smart move.
Rising up who's charts? The fan base's chart?

Reactions: swiftwin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad