Status
Not open for further replies.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Continue here!!

karlsson-dorion-121317-getty-ftrjpg_1c5rw0ebp2xf41kgn0g58eoemn.jpg

Last post:

'I think the only person who's likely to resign before the season is Randy Lee.'

Well, at least that would likely shore up relations with the Mayor's office...

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Hi-five to Mr Dorion for returning to his bunker for the remainder of the summer. Hopefully someone locked you in there and took your phone. You will be let out once the Euge sells the team and Alfie fires you.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Slammed for saying too much, slammed for saying too little.
Slamed for not having a PR person controlling the bleeding, slammed for hiring a PR guy who stops the bleeding.

Reactions: ansoncarter

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Didn't trade this guy soon enough, didn't get best deal
Should have waited to trade that guy, to get a better deal

PD cannot do anything right, in some peoples POV

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Slammed for saying too much, slammed for saying too little.
Slamed for not having a PR person controlling the bleeding, slammed for hiring a PR guy who stops the bleeding.
I believe that it would go a long way if PD actually explained to the fan base what the plan is. NYR took out a page ad to explain their overall strategy going forward. Senators have not only done nothing of note, they have yet to explain their vision for the upcoming season.
They don't have to divulge state secrets, but c'mon, at least explain the plan for this season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I believe that it would go a long way if PD actually explained to the fan base what the plan is. NYR took out a page ad to explain their overall strategy going forward. Senators have not only done nothing of note, they have yet to explain their vision for the upcoming season.
They don't have to divulge state secrets, but c'mon, at least explain the plan for this season.

Sure, but we don't need a letter to know that we are rebuilding, but to what extent?

I don't think relaying a plan to us is the issue so much as us not being able to be patient while important things unfold. This offseason is a big one with a bunch of moving pieces. Some of these pieces need to be fixed before I would want the GM coming out and talking about the future.

Some times as fans we need to take a step back and look in the mirror a bit. Yes we want all of the information now, yes we want management to take their timed do things the right way, yes we want information now, yes we want management to run a tight ship. Some of these things need fans to relax a bit. It's mid summer, it's time for everyone, including us, to get out into the sun and stop obsessing over hockey for a few weeks (not a jab at you).

There is a plan, probably a few lines of direction, depending on what happens with EK, and maybe even new ownership. Things will become clearer in due time. :)

Reactions: pzeeman

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
Pierre Doh'rion and Scrooge have done nothing to deserve the benefit of the doubt from anyone. Although I get the point posters are making in claiming exaggerated blaming against dumb and dumber, sorry, they've done nothing collectively or individually to earn the benefit of anyone's doubt. I find it bizzare that there are people who still defend them, which is why I'm convinced it must have to do with employment or personal-relationship related reasons.

Fans have justification to be upset, doubtful and skeptical at anything born of the smarts or opinion of the Sens' powers, since almost everything they have done has been so wrong or detrimental in every step they've taken since before the calendar flipped to 2018. The sheer volume of it is totally absurd.

Personally, I won't be supporting a Melnyk-run operation any longer monetarily-speaking (for reasons I've already posted on HFBOARDS), but once the organization develops a new habit of building a track-record of proper, professional, moderately-intelligent decisions, I would sooner criticize those who doubt everything it does. It's justified.

Reactions: Chezzz

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Pierre Dorion has done a few real solid moves for the Sens:

- Trading Brassard for Gus, JBD + A 3rd was great value
- The drafting that has been done since Pierre has been with the organization has been stellar
- He's made some OK depth signings that has returned us value
- The Condon trade for a 5th(?) was a solid trade considering his performance in year 1
- Pajarvi pick up looks decent
- Seemingly not being inclined to over-pay Ceci

I won't list the cons since this is supposed to be a positive thread but yes there have been quite a few cons as well. I think it's important that we remember that Dorion works under far more pressure then most people in his positions. For one, he has major budgetary issues that he needs to consider before any and every move he makes which quite frankly, most GM's do not have to deal with (at least to the extent of Pierre).

We should also remember that Dorion works for an organization that is currently staffed far less then the top NHL teams which likely increases his work-load and forces him to be unable to focus on more GM specific roles.

Finally, Pierre has to deal with an extremely hands-on owner. Eugene appears to want to be involved in every move that the Sens are apart of which undoubtedly makes things more stressful and difficult for GMPD.

Dorion has made mistakes, no question about it, but I do respect Dorions willingness to keep pushing through all of the aforementioned difficulties in an attempt to improve the team that he's been apart of for so long.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The reality with a situation this delicate is that there's a window that will maximize return, which makes it important to be patient but not wait too long. And the issue is that we, as fans, have no inkling of where that window might fall. Maybe it's already passed. But given recent decision-making, a bit of "sky is falling" is probably justified, albeit not necessarily to this extent.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The Dorion signings haven't been too hot.

Depth "character" players with barely any skill getting multiple years plus NTC/NMCs for no reason.
Burrows extention
Smith extention
Condon extention
Anderson extention
Harpur/Mccormick getting a 1 way before they even prove anything

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Pierre Dorion has done a few real solid moves for the Sens:

- Trading Brassard for Gus, JBD + A 3rd was great value
- The drafting that has been done since Pierre has been with the organization has been stellar
- He's made some OK depth signings that has returned us value
- The Condon trade for a 5th(?) was a solid trade considering his performance in year 1
- Pajarvi pick up looks decent
- Seemingly not being inclined to over-pay Ceci

I won't list the cons since this is supposed to be a positive thread but yes there have been quite a few cons as well. I think it's important that we remember that Dorion works under far more pressure then most people in his positions. For one, he has major budgetary issues that he needs to consider before any and every move he makes which quite frankly, most GM's do not have to deal with (at least to the extent of Pierre).

We should also remember that Dorion works for an organization that is currently staffed far less then the top NHL teams which likely increases his work-load and forces him to be unable to focus on more GM specific roles.

Finally, Pierre has to deal with an extremely hands-on owner. Eugene appears to want to be involved in every move that the Sens are apart of which undoubtedly makes things more stressful and difficult for GMPD.

Dorion has made mistakes, no question about it, but I do respect Dorions willingness to keep pushing through all of the aforementioned difficulties in an attempt to improve the team that he's been apart of for so long.
Yep pretty spot on ,add in the draft day trade down netting a 2nd for 4 slots...And he does show some skill,but he looks at times to be a guy that was thrust into a no win situation..With little to no help

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The Dorion signings haven't been too hot.

Depth "character" players with barely any skill getting multiple years plus NTC/NMCs for no reason.
Burrows extention
Smith extention
Condon extention
Anderson extention
Harpur/Mccormick getting a 1 way before they even prove anything
Meh,any and every team has these types of things that go on...Our issue is that with an owner like EM that wants to win on a near impossible budget for everything it gets magnified by 100

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Sure, but we don't need a letter to know that we are rebuilding, but to what extent?

I don't think relaying a plan to us is the issue so much as us not being able to be patient while important things unfold. This offseason is a big one with a bunch of moving pieces. Some of these pieces need to be fixed before I would want the GM coming out and talking about the future.

Some times as fans we need to take a step back and look in the mirror a bit. Yes we want all of the information now, yes we want management to take their timed do things the right way, yes we want information now, yes we want management to run a tight ship. Some of these things need fans to relax a bit. It's mid summer, it's time for everyone, including us, to get out into the sun and stop obsessing over hockey for a few weeks (not a jab at you).

There is a plan, probably a few lines of direction, depending on what happens with EK, and maybe even new ownership. Things will become clearer in due time. :)

I get what you're saying, but they have a business to run and need to sell tickets. They have to do something or say something to try to get people excited to spend their money on the product. As of now, they're charging more for tickets, and what are they saying to persuade us? Nothing. No one is buying tickets.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Meh,any and every team has these types of things that go on...Our issue is that with an owner like EM that wants to win on a near impossible budget for everything it gets magnified by 100

Except those teams have a higher budget than us and can go to the limit if they need to maintain their top players. Those contracts matter a lot more for a budget team where every dollar counts, and can't keep their top players because of so much wasted money on useless depth players. They all add up.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Except those teams have a higher budget than us and can go to the limit if they need to maintain their top players. Those contracts matter a lot more for a budget team where every dollar counts, and can't keep their top players because of so much wasted money on useless depth players. They all add up.
None of those contracts should hold the concequences they do on almost every other team,our issue has always been trying to keep competitive balance...With players wanting more and more money,while having a budget that never allows for it ....

Point is that who f***en cares, if your backup makes 2.5 ,or you take a risk on a cheap contract on a couple of kids...They are all low to moderate risk deals,but every team needs to take a risk or two to get a good deal...But for us if one contract goes bad we are stuck with it,because we have an owner that doesnt give any room for error

Reactions: Upgrayedd

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
To their surprise, it may actually help them sell tickets.
Yup, at this point in time, it looks like we're icing [sans Hoffman's goals] the exact same lineup that finished 30th in the league. But oh wait, they might unload the best player.... or not. Shut up and buy tickets or you're a terrible fan.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Outside of the absolutely straight up criminal Burrows trade and early extensions on a few players, I personally don't take issues with many other moves, I also operate under the view that the owner provides next to impossible working conditions with less than zero room for error, PD has a very hard job imo and it is seemingly thankless at the moment.

I also am fairly certain there is no plan at all and everything is simply knee jerk reactions to the problem of the day, very little longterm thinking is done...similar to the government

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yup, at this point in time, it looks like we're icing [sans Hoffman's goals] the exact same lineup that finished 30th in the league. But oh wait, they might unload the best player.... or not. Shut up and buy tickets or you're a terrible fan.
Pretty much,they will heap all sorts of unrealistic expectations on our kids..And when they fail to live up to the hype we will trade them and start the process all over again

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
None of those contracts should hold the concequences they do on almost every other team,our issue has always been trying to keep competitive balance...With players wanting more and more money,while having a budget that never allows for it ....

Point is that who ****en cares, if your backup makes 2.5 ,or you take a risk on a cheap contract on a couple of kids...They are all low to moderate risk deals,but every team needs to take a risk or two to get a good deal...But for us if one contract goes bad we are stuck with it,because we have an owner that doesnt give any room for error
And Dorion knows that therefore he shouldn't be signing depth players to such expensive deals. He's hamstrung himself with the budget. The budget didn't come out of nowhere.

Reactions: Swedish Mafia

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Outside of the absolutely straight up criminal Burrows trade and early extensions on a few players, I personally don't take issues with many other moves, I also operate under the view that the owner provides next to impossible working conditions with less than zero room for error, PD has a very hard job imo and it is seemingly thankless at the moment.
Pretty much spot on,we cant risk anything....And the owner wants to be in the PO,s..

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I get what you're saying, but they have a business to run and need to sell tickets. They have to do something or say something to try to get people excited to spend their money on the product. As of now, they're charging more for tickets, and what are they saying to persuade us? Nothing. No one is buying tickets.

I agree that they need to do something. I'm personally hoping that he is busy getting our three major players sorted out so that when he next comes to the podium it's a Bam! moment to announce signings and then discuss the future. I personally don't think that the silence is becausePD is up at the lake, but I do think that he's been advised that given the situation that the organization is in, that he should make the next time he speaks come with some tangible positivity for the organization.

That's what I would do/councel anyways. Much will be forgiven immediately if he comes bearing fruit for the fans to consume!

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
And Dorion knows that therefore he shouldn't be signing depth players to such expensive deals. He's hamstrung himself with the budget. The budget didn't come out of nowhere.
Yep these same expensive depth players earned their contracts,so if we just toss them away for picks how is this any different that we are doing with the top end of the scale??Guess we go back to the Lazar Neil and Kelley line.....Hey it sucked ass but its cheap??

Come on dude ,the budget has made this team exactly what it has been for almost a decade now...Nobody should care what the backup or the 4th line rw makes...Which is the exact issue

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

They're not saying shut up, they're not saying anything at all because there is no they, there is PD and he's working on signing players. Announcing those signings is the only way to get people pumped for the upcoming season, not outlining a plan, not words about this or that, some tangible stuff to give fans.

Even a solid trade for EK is something, but I personally don't want to hear a word from the organization until something is actually finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad