The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
we signed Hossa to a 3 year deal and traded him the next day. it was an ass hole move on muckler's end. it had nothing to do with retention.
And cost us Chara in the end...Us screwing over his childhood friend probably want a good idea when he was slated to be a ufa the next season

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
we signed Hossa to a 3 year deal and traded him the next day. it was an ass hole move on muckler's end. it had nothing to do with retention.

At the end of the day, the player we wanted to sign (and there was a lot of talk about how we couldn't afford to meet his demands leading up to the contract being signed), the player who wanted to stay and signed to stay, was dealt for a cheaper option.

How is that not a retention problem? He wanted to stay and we couldn't retain his services.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Man, it's kind of funny. You are consistently wrong in most of your posts.

When he was traded, the hype here was he had progressed to being equivalent to a mid 1st rounder. I think that notion is dead. When he was traded his numbers where benefitting from the Petterson effect. At this stage he is a project, not unlike a lot of prospects.
Don't remember anyone saying mid 1st, but he was def better than his 2nd round pick. It was pretty unanimous.

@BondraTime already proved you wrong though on the whole Petterson angle you are trying to play.

I wouldn't consider his rookie season similar to Chlapik. Chlapik led Belleville in scoring and was not insulated by vets. Dahlen has a bunch of older guys in front of him on that Utica team and the one thing he leads the team in is +/- unfortunately on the minus side.

Not sure what you are talking about. There were plenty of vets last year. More so than this year. I would say pretty comparable to what Dahlen has this year. JOB, McCormick, Werek, Rheinhart, Sexton, etc.

Time will tell what kind of player he becomes. He isn't lighting the A on fire and as a smaller winger, if he can't play top 6 minutes there may never be a career for him in the NHL.

Yeah, time will tell. But I'd say he's doing pretty well for a rookie in the AHL. 29 pts in 50 is damn solid for a rookie. White had 29 in 52, Chlapik 32 in 52, pretty comparable.

Reactions: Deku

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
This is utterly hilarious. We went from "OMG! Dahlen is going to be the next Filip Forsberg!!!11" to "...maybe we shouldn't of extended Burrows".

At the time of the trade, Bob McKenzie said there was sentiment among NHL scouts that Dahlen would struggle on NHL ice compared to Europe. The only people who thought this was a bad trade were self proclaimed eliteprospect.com stat watchers. Which were the same people that said Tkachuk would be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL. There's way more to scouting a player than just watching his stat line. Especially when he's in a 2nd tier European league!

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
This is utterly hilarious. We went from "OMG! Dahlen is going to be the next Filip Forsberg!!!11" to "...maybe we shouldn't of extended Burrows".

At the time of the trade, Bob McKenzie said there was sentiment among NHL scouts that Dahlen would struggle on NHL ice compared to Europe. The only people who thought this was a bad trade were self proclaimed eliteprospect.com stat watchers. Which were the same people that said Tkachuk would be a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL. There's way more to scouting a player than just watching his stat line. Especially when he's in a 2nd tier European league!

Or people who had watched Alex Burrows during his last year and half in Vancouver.

I don't think anyone is saying Dahlen is some elite prospect, but Burrows was bad when we traded for him, was just okay during the playoff run and then was so terrible the following season we had to buy out the last year of his deal. It's not revisionist history to say we shouldn't have traded for him.

FlyingJ

Feb 25, 2014
And cost us Chara in the end...Us screwing over his childhood friend probably want a good idea when he was slated to be a ufa the next season
That's never been confirmed. I mean, it probably didn't help, but the fact is that Muckler never tendered a proper offer to Chara before July 1. IIRC he waited for Chara's camp to present a salary demand, essentially playing chicken with the elite dman the coaching staff wanted to keep over Redden.

Then there's the big rumour that Chara wanted something more than a high salary...

Not to mention that there was no indication Chara would have taken a lower salary if Hossa were still there. So between Hossa's $6 million a year after Chara's $7-7.5 million, where would that have left the Sens in 2006 with the cap, as I recall, around $45 million?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Or people who had watched Alex Burrows during his last year and half in Vancouver.

I don't think anyone is saying Dahlen is some elite prospect, but Burrows was bad when we traded for him, was just okay during the playoff run and then was so terrible the following season we had to buy out the last year of his deal. It's not revisionist history to say we shouldn't have traded for him.
Dahlen is an equivalent prospect to Balcers or Chlapik. Imagine trading one of them for Tom Pyatt or Colin Greening right now.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That's never been confirmed. I mean, it probably didn't help, but the fact is that Muckler never tendered a proper offer to Chara before July 1. IIRC he waited for Chara's camp to present a salary demand, essentially playing chicken with the elite dman the coaching staff wanted to keep over Redden.

Then there's the big rumour that Chara wanted something more than a high salary...

Not to mention that there was no indication Chara would have taken a lower salary if Hossa were still there. So between Hossa's $6 million a year after Chara's $7-7.5 million, where would that have left the Sens in 2006 with the cap, as I recall, around $45 million?
Yeah that was the one and only time when we didnt have cap room lol

Reactions: Upgrayedd

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dahlen is an equivalent prospect to Balcers or Chlapik. Imagine trading one of them for Tom Pyatt or Colin Greening right now.

Except Pyatt and Greening right now are nothing compared what Burrows was for us during that playoff run. Also, Dahlen is nothing compared Balcers or Chlapik. Those two actually have decent experience at the NHL level, Dahlen does not. Dahlen was one of the first cuts at the Nucks training camp.

Terrible terrible analogy.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'd like to high five Dorion for realizing Phaneuf was done and making a solid trade to get him the F out.

Should never have traded for him in the first place. I’m not gonna high five Dave Nonis for trading Clarksons contract when he was the guy who signed him in the first place.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
Except Pyatt and Greening right now are nothing compared what Burrows was for us during that playoff run. Also, Dahlen is nothing compared Balcers or Chlapik. Those two actually have decent experience at the NHL level, Dahlen does not. Dahlen was one of the first cuts at the Nucks training camp.

Dahlen, Balcers, and Chlapik are pretty similar caliber prospects.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Oh boy back to the dahlen hype train posters hahaha

Saw this same shit with Prince

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Should never have traded for him in the first place. I’m not gonna high five Dave Nonis for trading Clarksons contract when he was the guy who signed him in the first place.

He played a huge part in Ottawa's drive to the Conference Final, as well as being stellar the first full year we had him. It was an excellent acquisition and then an even better trade when he was done.

Reactions: Mark Stones Spleen

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

he was complete trash in that playoff run no matter how many secondary assists he picked up. anyone who thinks burrows was good doesn't understand hockey period.

dude was so bad the he was bought out and went into retirement soon after.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
He played a huge part in Ottawa's drive to the Conference Final, as well as being stellar the first full year we had him.

5 assists in 15 playoff games, and bought out after being 'stellar' the first full year we had him.

I don't recall a fan revolt crying about buying out a player coming off a stellar season, but hey, somebody else in the league must've jumped in with a contract offer that I just don't remember where he is showing his value today....

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Muckler played chicken with Chara and lost out.....Murray played chicken with Alfie and lost out....Dorion has played chicken with Stone/Duchene/Dzingel and if history suggests anything, he had no shot in signing these guys ever since he deployed this bush league tactic

Reactions: FlyingJ

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Oh boy back to the dahlen hype train posters hahaha

Saw this same **** with Prince

this has nothing to do with the hype train or wether he pans out or not. it had everything to do with dahlens value at the time. his value was that of an early second or a 1st at the time of the trade. and we traded him for a 4th liner.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
He played a huge part in Ottawa's drive to the Conference Final, as well as being stellar the first full year we had him. It was an excellent acquisition and then an even better trade when he was done.

He did not play a huge part. Karlsson, Anderson, Ryan, Methot, and Pageau played a huge part. Burrows played a bit part.

Reactions: DrEasy

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
You know, thinking outside the box, maybe we would be better off if StooEuge took over as GM for Pete Dorito, because as cheap as he is, StooEuge would never give away something for practically nothing.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
this has nothing to do with the hype train or wether he pans out or not. it had everything to do with dahlens value at the time. his value was that of an early second or a 1st at the time of the trade. and we traded him for a 4th liner.
He is a dime a dozen prospect that was hyped into being a top line prospect after the trade cause he did well in a 2nd tier Sweden league

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010

The result of your “excellent acquisition” is us paying Gaborik and Phaneuf not to play for us.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
5 assists in 15 playoff games, and bought out after being 'stellar' the first full year we had him.

I don't recall a fan revolt crying about buying out a player coming off a stellar season, but hey, somebody else in the league must've jumped in with a contract offer that I just don't remember where he is showing his value today....

Pretty sure he's referring to Phaneuf, not Burrows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad