The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Most of you guys seem to have yourselves worked up into such a tizzy that i am not sure it matters what happens this week, it's going to be universally panned

Well for it to be universally panned.. you.. the contrarian would also have to pan it.

Yes yes, semantics, figures of speech etc.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
How so ???You cant run a team on a bare bones budget and expect to actually win consistently ...You core will want to be paid ,and we simply dont do this

It won’t be like that in the FYOUS era

I think once the Lebreton is done and Dorion finishes his master plan, everyone will have forgotten about the crappy years. It will all be roses.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Well there’s also precedent for what he said as well lol.

Seriously.

I mean, this is BASIC SCIENTIFIC METHOD as far as reasoning is concerned. This is stuff you learn in elementary school.

You create a hypothesis based on precedent, evidence, observation and expected results. Then, you test the hypothesis.

Right now, we have:
1) Defined the variables. In this case,
DEPENDENT VARIABLES: the player's trade value / return we receive in a trade
INDEPENDENT VARIABLES: Pierre Dorion, opposing General Managers
CONTROLLED VARIABLE: Eugene Melnyk's ownership of the org, team budget
Essentially, how does the independent variable affect the dependent variable within the confines of the control variable?

2) studied the results of prior experiments using these same variable sets:
- It could be argued that we have more than enough precedent under the current variables, though it is prudent to note differences: the dependent variables are altered, since the players being traded have changed. As a result, the results generated by these dependent variables can never be exactly the same, though certainly can follow similar results along a similar pattern. Similar observations could be made about the independent variable relating to opposing GMs, though again, similar patterns may emerge. The main independent variable, Dorion, remains unchanged, as does the main dependent variable category of "player trade return" (ie: we are not testing for a different result, like "draft performance" or "contract negotiation")

3) after understanding the variables and accounting for previous experiments in the same field of study, we can form a hypothesis that best predicts the outcome of the current study.

4) test the hypothesis. We're about to do that. Let's see how it turns out.

... getting salty about people PROPERLY USING THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD to attempt to predict that the trade is more likely than not to turn out poorly for us is such a poor argument that it's borderline ignorant.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How so ???You cant run a team on a bare bones budget and expect to actually win consistently ...You core will want to be paid ,and we simply dont do this
Well how bare bones? I think if we got lucky as dorion was a good GM we would be “fine”. Not great. But fine.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Yep add in EM will never sign a real head coach or an actual management professional,because they actually make money...And it just add,s to my original point

I think that will change as the ownership arrangement will most likely change. I doubt EM will ever walk away, but maybe he will be finally forced into a silent position via financial aid... then Dorion or others can work their magic

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Well how bare bones? I think if we got lucky as dorion was a good GM we would be “fine”. Not great. But fine.
Us having to trade away 2nd rounders for other teams to pay bonus money,say alot different my friend...No GM worth his salt would be able to deal with that level of absurdity ...To build a great team means you have to have money to support this in the first place

Reactions: Upgrayedd and RaMai

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
That's the dream, yeah.

We have a few weeks left before we find out if there's anything to the "Lebreton Longshot" as far as NCC re-negotiations are concerned. If nothing happens in those meetings, it could be a while... :(

I am pretty sure it will happen. I am also pretty sure EM will step back in one way or another.

Dorion’s Future is based on the return he gets for these three or four players - he will be gone too if he blows it.

I doubt he will though, as if on trade is crap he may be reward on another

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I am pretty sure it will happen. I am also pretty sure EM will step back in one way or another.

Dorion’s Future is based on the return he gets for these three or four players - he will be gone too if he blows it.

I doubt he will though, as if on trade is crap he may be reward on another
I think an anouncement on the team being sold happens right after the dust clears and EM finishes off the gutting of our team.....A rebuild for new ownership does make more sense than trying to throw tens of millions around ..After spending a large amount buying the team in the first place

Reactions: RaMai

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Real ownership means that the team can use the building, that will be built for it .To actually sustain itself,and a real billionaire can profit from the development...With EM you just know if he gains a free arena ,he will just profit more money ,while putting the bare essentials back into the team

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Real ownership means that the team can use the building, that will be built for it .To actually sustain itself,and a real billionaire can profit from the development...With EM you just know if he gains a free arena ,he will just profit more money ,while putting the bare essentials back into the team

EM aside... and back to Dorion; what if PD actually gets the pick back for EK this year? That is a sweet gain for the Sens. A lot of blowing wind from the pacific ocean right now.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is no parallel universe market.

PD got market value for EK, a one year-until-UFA star player, there were no better offers that he turned down. A few dumb rumours here and there are just that. As it stands, SJ gave up a lot for one year of a guy who will likely walk in the summer. It was a cup or bust move for sure, and good on DW for going for it, but everyone knows that EK didn’t want to work on an extension so it was a one year rental.

Stone and Duchene are the to most sought after TDL players. PD will take the best offer for them according to what the market offers in a bidding war for typical star deadline acquisitions. He wont take some mystery lesser deal leaving better ones on the table as some in here believe.

This is the best time to trade them as you get a full on bidding war going , with littl time to plan; they will get good returns, but it wont be as good as some here hope, and thus we’ll have to listen to more silly stories about all the other GMs getting together to rob PD without his knowledge. Fans know what they’d like the return to be, and have vague rumours here and there, but we don’t know what the market is actually offering and we should remember that. The only solid evidence we ever get is what players are actually traded for.

The only issue at play is the way PD evaluates talent in a return compared to us as individuals. Some GMs are much better talent evaluators than others, and thankfully we’re good at it.

If we’re starting a rebuild from scratch, lets friggin do it!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I'm expecting a late first and a teams 2nd or 3rd best prospect for each of stone and Duchene. Or some equivilent there of. If there is more ... Fantastic.

If there is less ... Ill just be a little sad.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
There is no parallel universe market.

PD got market value for EK, a one year-until-UFA star player, there were no better offers that he turned down. A few dumb rumours here and there are just that. As it stands, SJ gave up a lot for one year of a guy who will likely walk in the summer. It was a cup or bust move for sure, and good on DW for going for it, but everyone knows that EK didn’t want to work on an extension so it was a one year rental.

Stone and Duchene are the to most sought after TDL players. PD will take the best offer for them according to what the market offers in a bidding war for typical star deadline acquisitions. He wont take some mystery lesser deal leaving better ones on the table as some in here believe.

This is the best time to trade them as you get a full on bidding war going , with littl time to plan; they will get good returns, but it wont be as good as some here hope, and thus we’ll have to listen to more silly stories about all the other GMs getting together to rob PD without his knowledge. Fans know what they’d like the return to be, and have vague rumours here and there, but we don’t know what the market is actually offering and we should remember that. The only solid evidence we ever get is what players are actually traded for.

The only issue at play is the way PD evaluates talent in a return compared to us as individuals. Some GMs are much better talent evaluators than others, and thankfully we’re good at it.

If we’re starting a rebuild from scratch, lets friggin do it!

The karlsson trade looks better to me than it did when it was made.

Tierny is a solid 3rd like center that can sub up on the second if needed. Nothing spectacular about him, but he gets the job done.

Demelo seems to be a decent player. Again nothing spectacular but hes looked good.

Balcers seems impressive. I'm a little excited about him. Norris and the first are still unknowns really, but the kind of potential you get back when dealing a superstar. And who knows, might be another first or second round pick.

In hindsight it's not a terrible haul. Would have been nice to get a legit stud prospect or something included ... But cest la vie.

Reactions: pzeeman

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That's the dream, yeah.

We have a few weeks left before we find out if there's anything to the "Lebreton Longshot" as far as NCC re-negotiations are concerned. If nothing happens in those meetings, it could be a while... :(

Well if I were looking to buy a hockey team, I'd be excited about buying the senators where they are right now. So maybe that is all part of the plan.

A basement team with some awesome young roster players and a load of upcoming picks and solid prospects. Stud defenseman, stud winger, maybe a stud goalie. Lots to build around.

Plus a new arena that should revitalize interest in an established market that's fed up with current ownership.

I mean maybe it's a fantasy, but it Eugene was trying to maximize return in a sale this seems to be the way to do it.

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
I think an anouncement on the team being sold happens right after the dust clears and EM finishes off the gutting of our team.....A rebuild for new ownership does make more sense than trying to throw tens of millions around ..After spending a large amount buying the team in the first place
It would be great if this is the reasoning behind all this madness, I would be okay with a complete restart in this scenario.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad