The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Sign me up for Methot on the radio. Every time I’ve heard him he seems like a natural. Might have his sights set higher though as he’d probably be great on TV too.

Also what’s with 1200 not playing the full Canada WWC game today? Never mind the live look ins, just play the game. It’s kind of a big deal.
I prefer not to hear wwc.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Sign me up for Methot on the radio. Every time I’ve heard him he seems like a natural. Might have his sights set higher though as he’d probably be great on TV too.

Also what’s with 1200 not playing the full Canada WWC game today? Never mind the live look ins, just play the game. It’s kind of a big deal.
TSN690 affiliate played the game. I assume most of the other affiliates did as well. JR asleep at the wheel again. Regardless of your thoughts on soccer this event only happens one every 4 years and Canada is one of the top teams. Im sure they will air the later games in the tournament though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inkling

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Did anyone hear what Neil said about Boucher? I haven’t listened but I read that it was pretty scathing

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Did anyone hear what Neil said about Boucher? I haven’t listened but I read that it was pretty scathing
Wasn’t too scathing. He basically said Boucher wasn’t good at bringing the team together and guys didn’t want to go through a wall for him. He was more of an Xs and Os guy. He was glad a change was made.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Neiler and put some weight behind what he says, but it's also worth noting that Boucher was the guy who (correctly in my view) essentially told him that his career was over.

I think Neil still had a year in him, maybe as a part time player - but seeing how quickly that team folded for lack of leadership (Kelly, Neil) they could of used him on and off the the ice

Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Listening to "That's What She Said" tonight, and heard one of the hosts talking about how the Raptors win, would impact kids in Canada, and said something like .... "Parents, with Children, can easily afford to enroll their children in to Basketball programs" ......

Parents, with Children ..... :skeptic:o_O:ha::huh:

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Did you guys know it was summer today and we can fan ourselves too?

On the plus side, the draft stuff has been fantastic. Lee was on fire, Carleton Place Terrier putting the brakes on him.
J.R. and Simmer are pretty good together too.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don’t usually come here to complain about hosts and generally like the majority of the 1200 crew but Lee Versage ruins the radio for me.
That’s actually important feedback from a longtime listener who has gone from looking forward to Ian Mendes segments to avoiding them. I turn off the radio when Lee is on. I know others do the same.

Edit: I have to add, to be fair to Lee, I think he does a good job in interviews.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don’t usually come here to complain about hosts and generally like the majority of the 1200 crew but Lee Versage ruins the radio for me.
That’s actually important feedback from a longtime listener who has gone from looking forward to Ian Mendes segments to avoiding them. I turn off the radio when Lee is on. I know others do the same.
The station went from having one listenable show (Mendes/Simmer) to having none. Versage has ruined the afternoon.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I haven't listened to 1200 for a full drive home since Versage landed there. I cannot stand him.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Did you guys know it was summer today and we can fan ourselves too?
Meanwhile, on TSN690, it was all draft all morning. From discussions about Bergevin's face to face meetings with potential picks, to potential deals the Habs could have made. Talk about each individual player drafted to discussions on how other teams' fared. On TSN 1200 we get Simmer name dropping, "my good friend Bob, known him for a long time, Washington days..." and discussing the draft day benders the scouts go on, while providing their listeners with basically no insight whatsoever on Ottawa's picks, or possible draft strategy.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

I like listening to Lee, and that's important feedback from a long time listener too

Reactions: Stylizer1

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I like listening to Lee, and that's important feedback from a long time listener too
Yup thats relevant as well obviously. But I’m going to guess you’re in the minority judging by conversations I’ve hand with lots and lots of listeners

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Possibly. Beats me.

Different strokes for different folks
Yeah no problem with that. And neither of us is right or wrong about it. As long as the station doesn’t suffer. I’d be curious to see a poll but that wouldn’t be very nice for the hosts involved. I’m sure they have an idea of what people like/dislike

I like simmer for example but I know many don’t like listening to him.

Reactions: Simplicity

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Meanwhile, on TSN690, it was all draft all morning. From discussions about Bergevin's face to face meetings with potential picks, to potential deals the Habs could have made. Talk about each individual player drafted to discussions on how other teams' fared. On TSN 1200 we get Simmer name dropping, "my good friend Bob, known him for a long time, Washington days..." and discussing the draft day benders the scouts go on, while providing their listeners with basically no insight whatsoever on Ottawa's picks, or possible draft strategy.

Simmer is more substance than style type, doesn’t seem to be a homework guy.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Total 180 for me. I used to stay away from the morning show. It’s now the only show I consistently tune in to and enjoy. Structured, informative and entertaining. Pierre McGuire coming up.

Hopefully the other shows can catch up

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Total 180 for me. I used to stay away from the morning show. It’s now the only show I consistently tune in to and enjoy. Structured, informative and entertaining. Pierre McGuire coming up.

Hopefully the other shows can catch up

I'm with you on this one. I gave TGOR grief for years, but the shakeup has helped a ton. Simmer, to my surprise, has been great away from Ian.

The Drive is "fine", but I actually find myself listening to TGOR more than the other shows since the switch.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'm with you on this one. I gave TGOR grief for years, but the shakeup has helped a ton. Simmer, to my surprise, has been great away from Ian.

The Drive is "fine", but I actually find myself listening to TGOR more than the other shows since the switch.
I find all the shows suffer with no NHL.
Hopefully now that the Raptors are champions they will actually have someone at the station pay attention to the NBA.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah .... @ianmendes old friend, Simmer referenced the World Cup this morning, when talking about the proposed Ball Stadium in Montreal, as "The World Cup Of Soccer".

Next It'll be the Stanley Cup of Hockey, The Grey Cup of Canadian Football, The Davis Cup of Tennis .....

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah .... @ianmendes old friend, Simmer referenced the World Cup this morning, when talking about the proposed Ball Stadium in Montreal, as "The World Cup Of Soccer".

Next It'll be the Stanley Cup of Hockey, The Grey Cup of Canadian Football, The Davis Cup of Tennis .....
Given that we live in a world where the World Cup of Hockey is also a thing, I think it makes some sense to call it the World Cup of Soccer – at least on first reference – to clearly differentiate between the two.

Reactions: Stylizer1

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

You do realize that there are multiple sports in the world that use "World Cup"? Like skiing has a "World Cup", hockey , cricket, rugby...the list goes on and on and on. So, referring to it as the Women's World Cup of Soccer is really no big deal, the station has much larger problems to deal with than reprimanding Simmer for specifying what "World Cup" sport he is talking about.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Given that we live in a world where the World Cup of Hockey is also a thing, I think it makes some sense to call it the World Cup of Soccer – at least on first reference – to clearly differentiate between the two.

Yes the official name is the FIFA World Cup, but everyone knows what the "World Cup" is, as it's been around since 1930.

The World Cup of Hockey, which is it's official name, had to differentiate itself from the "World Cup" was the Successor of the Canada Cup (not the Canada Cup of Hockey).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad