Stanley Cup Playoffs: Round 1 | New York Islanders vs Carolina Hurricanes Series Discussion

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Im not. I also feel like they need an injection. This team needs a Marchessault so badly. This team needs a DeBrusk so badly. They are in dire need of physical top line players.

I don't think it's the right move but I've had a sneaking suspicion 33 yo Marchessault is coming to LI this off season with VGK unlikely to re-sign.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
More so they need a legit franchise forward. In an ideal world Barzal and Horvat are your 3/4 best forwards or at least 2/3 best forwards.
That legit franchise forward helps, but we’ve seen enough from some of the top players that they aren’t gamers. Even Mario ain’t turning a bunch of these underperformers into playoff warriors.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
you could add Mcdavid to this team and we still aren’t beating Carolina.
McDavid is overrated, he even could not beat the LAK, so he wouldn't beat the Canes.
Apart from Isles I'm having fun to watch early exits for Leafs and Oilers, unfortunately I will have to wait until 2nd round to watch Rags beaten down

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Just didn’t get the bounces, huh? Don’t worry we can squeak in and try again next season.
The Islanders have no finishers. They didn’t have finishers when Lou took over, and they still don’t 5 years later. That’s why this team is low-mid in goals for every year, why the power play is low-mid every year, and why they can’t bury an empty netter to save their lives. Too many guys with cement hands.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don't think it's the right move but I've had a sneaking suspicion 33 yo Marchessault is coming to LI this off season with VGK unlikely to re-sign.
we need him in the worst of ways. Thats the problem. islanders are gonna need to either swing more trades, or actually make a move in free agency. cannot stand pat

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The Islanders have no finishers. They didn’t have finishers when Lou took over, and they still don’t 5 years later. That’s why this team is low-mid in goals for every year, why the power play is low-mid every year, and why they can’t bury an empty netter to save their lives. Too many guys with cement hands.
But we drafted Wahlstrom

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The Islanders have no finishers. They didn’t have finishers when Lou took over, and they still don’t 5 years later.
The Islanders have more 30 goal scorers than the Hurricanes do. They just don't get enough balance from the bottom 6 and from the defense, most egregiously.

Reactions: Throttle

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Hopefully just to make life miserable for Carolina they win tomorrow. Rangers I feel sweep so they’ll be done Sunday night. Isles can absolutely wreck the Canes advantage as far as off days by forcing them to play that 5th game Tuesday night. If you’re Roy I think you can start there by saying right now don’t even think about the series. Just make these guys have to play another game and put pressure on them. That said I think Brind’Amour is gonna hammer home exactly what I said. Don’t force yourselves into losing 3 days off that you always wanna have early in the playoffs

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Unleashed! Oh well, that’s not working out too well. But fans wanted this so bad…

Hey Roenser, don’t forget no goals in his last 12 games. We have a winner here, he’s carrying that team right to the end (of the first round).

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
They just don't get enough balance from the bottom 6 and from the defense, most egregiously.
I don't think the lack of offense/puck-movement from the D can be over-stressed. It was a problem to begin with that there was one offensive/PMD in the top 4, and now that Dobson's game seems to have left him it's even more serious. The best skill guy on D has been a waiver pickup. Somehow swapping out say Pelech for a skill D (not saying in a single deal) is perhaps the top priority.

Otherwise, the team needs a major injection of skill overall. Lou's "better than the sum of the parts" approach to team-building probably won't change, so the owners may need a new GM to get better parts.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I suspect Roy may roll the same lineup in game 4 with the exception of starting Varly and figure that will make the difference. But, I wouldn't mind him rolling the dice down 3-0 and going with the best skill/speed lineup he has available. Sit Martin and Fasching and maybe somebody else. Dress Holmstrom and Ishkakov and maybe Gauthier. Sit Bortuzzo for (gulp) Aho. Not much to lose at this point.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I don't think the lack of offense/puck-movement from the D can be over-stressed. It was a problem to begin with that there was one offensive/PMD in the top 4, and now that Dobson's game seems to have left him it's even more serious. The best skill guy on D has been a waiver pickup. Somehow swapping out say Pelech for a skill D (not saying in a single deal) is perhaps the top priority.

Otherwise, the team needs a major injection of skill overall. Lou's "better than the sum of the parts" approach to team-building probably won't change, so the owners may need a new GM to get better parts.
This- A strength of this team when Trotz arrived was mobility and some puck carriers on D. Losing Toews and then Leddy really hurt. In one sense Isles really got screwed by the upcoming expansion and while I hate the outcome think Lou's hands were tied with Toews.

Water under the bridge it's over.

Look at the D corps of some of these teams. Look at Carolina...when healthy they have 6 guys who can really skate and have offensive presence.

Last edited:

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
I suspect Roy may roll the same lineup in game 4 with the exception of starting Varly and figure that will make the difference. But, I wouldn't mind him rolling the dice down 3-0 and going with the best skill/speed lineup he has available. Sit Martin and Fasching and maybe somebody else. Dress Holmstrom and Ishkakov and maybe Gauthier. Sit Bortuzzo for (gulp) Aho. Not much to lose at this point.
While i wold welcome a line up change...suspect this is the last go for a good few of our guys. I may be in the minority but i am betting we see 5-6 veterans not on the team next season.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
While i would welcome a line up change...suspect this is the last go for a good few of our guys. I may be in the minority but i am betting we see 5-6 veterans not on the team next season.
Just put back in the goalie that never should have come out.

Let the rest of the team show up or not. There’s nothing about this team that indicates winning 4 in a row is possible.

Winning one game? Who cares.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Looking at the first three games objectively, the Islanders have been competitive in this series. All of the games have been very close. Is Carolina the better team? Of course. Do they deserve to be up 3-0? Sure. But is there a massive deficiency that is currently being exposed? No, not really. They are playing a cup contender that is absolutely STACKED top to bottom. Look at their lineup! Impressive. The Islanders are not that.

A bit more puck luck and we can actually be up 2-1 or even 3-0 (!) in this series. If the hockey gads were fair, it would be 2-1 CAR heading into game 4. So it goes.

Carolina still has to win one more so I hope they make them earn it. Forcing them to go back to their rink would be nice. Get a little momentum and who knows... bring it back here for a game 6?

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
therwise, the team needs a major injection of skill overall. Lou's "better than the sum of the parts" approach to team-building probably won't change, so the owners may need a new GM to get better parts.
Maybe. The biggest things the problems the Isles face going forward, in my opinion:

1) Lack of offense from the defense - So much of todays NHL builds offense from low to high and point shots and transition. Dobson is the only above average offensive defenseman. This would help the PP as well.
2) Regression of Lee and Pageau, coupled with their contracts
3) Potential regression of Palmieri and Nelson
4) PK replacements and improvement

A difficult decision will need to be made about Nelson, because he has value to the team, but also would to others. Lee and Pageau are stickier wickets because they're obviously regressing.

No, not really. They are playing a cup contender that is absolutely STACKED top to bottom. Look at their lineup! Impressive. The Islanders are not that.
Honestly, the Hurricanes obviously have a good team, but on paper they're not really stacked or anything. They don't have a Matthews or Panarin or Pastrnak or anything like that. I don't think their talent is in a different galaxy from the Islanders really. I do think they're assembled more judiciously, though, with a clearer overall vision as to what they want their team to be like. Everything moves in the same direction with them, whereas you can't really say that about the Islanders.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Islanders have more 30 goal scorers than the Hurricanes do. They just don't get enough balance from the bottom 6 and from the defense, most egregiously.

Everyone loves to talk about the offense but the main issue here is the defense under Trotz was elite. It is just average now. I mean you had Toews, Leddy, Boychuk, Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield... STACKED. Rielly and Bortuzzo just ain't strong enough in important playoff minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad