The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have no doubt you will work your magic and with your guidance Lee will become the best verision of himself. Look how far Simmer has come with your help. Sorry, still disagree with you on Simmer being mocked as much as he dishes out. It drives me crazy how much he makes fun of other hosts or anyone you are talking about for their clothes not having a lable, looks, etc. Guess he doesn't understand not everyone can afford his lifestyle and glamours life.
What is his glamours[sic] lifestyle like

Reactions: Radiogirl

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
What is his glamours[sic] lifestyle like
He's always brags about all those trips and weekend getaways he's going on, attending all the "In" events in Ottaa, his luxury condo with the gym, how gets his clothes from Morgante's and makes fun of the other host if they don't have the right label, has disposal income to spend on the finer things like flowers, expensive wine, fine dining, etc. Ian seems like a guy you could have a beer with and not worry. Simmer not so much, he would bother with a mere listener.

Reactions: InAbsensia

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
He's always brags about all those trips and weekend getaways he's going on, attending all the "In" events in Ottaa, his luxury condo with the gym, how gets his clothes from Morgante's and makes fun of the other host if they don't have the right label, has disposal income to spend on the finer things like flowers, expensive wine, fine dining, etc. Ian seems like a guy you could have a beer with and not worry. Simmer not so much, he would bother with a mere listener.
And you believe all of it?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No — I don’t refer to it as the “World Cup of soccer” on a regular basis. However, if memory serves me, we were specifically talking about the World Cup of Hockey and then suddenly were talking about the FIFA World Cup.

So sure, maybe it was a one-off where I may have said World Cup in soccer - since we were talking about the World Cup of Hockey.

But the suggestion that I now *always* refer to it as the “World Cup of Soccer” is inaccurate.

Ian

Simmer does use "World Cup of Soccer" all the time, when referencing the "World Cup"........... and yesterday morning you went along with it ........ but perhaps Simmer dragged you along......... thanks for the reply.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Lee drives me nuts. It does seem like he's knowledgeable, but they way he talks to other people is super shitty, including people that write in.

Just seems like the annoying dad at practice who picks arguments with all of the other parents.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If Leever or Bunda are on the station...well, I'm not listening. I've tried. I just can't do it.

I'd rather listen to David Schwimmer whine.
Leever is terrible. Would argue that the station actually lost listeners after letting Warne go. Which is strange in its own right becasue Warne was pretty bad, but a full time Versage is worse.

Disagree with your take on Bunda though. I would much rather hear Creech or Bunda over any not named Mendes at the station.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I have to say the music selection has been terrible since the switch. Leever likes terrible music. It's like the music they had to play at video dances so as not to leave out the loner crew. lol

What happened to that boom bap?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Leever is terrible. Would argue that the station actually lost listeners after letting Warne go. Which is strange in its own right becasue Warne was pretty bad, but a full time Versage is worse.

Disagree with your take on Bunda though. I would much rather hear Creech or Bunda over any not named Mendes at the station.
Leever is fine. Some of his arguments are not strong but that doesn't negate the fact he is probably the most versatile at the station.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Versage is a gem. He and A.J. are amongst the most knowledgeable for sure. The big question of the day is why Bunda or Creech didn't drop everything to help Lee with his key issue this morning. You'd think there would be a rapid- response team there.

In all seriousness, Lee+Ian is radio heaven, more please.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland

I've noticed this too about Simmer. If he's super hyper wealthy I don't know why Ian wrote a column about how down on his luck he was. Anyways, I usually turn off volume when Simmer goes on with Pierre McGuire, wish J.R. would have stepped in more.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Leever is da best.

I thoroughly enjoy listening to Versage. His shtick works for me, and he is probably the most genuinely passionate sports fan on the station.

He's like that guy your group of friends really like, but he's still the butt of every joke because he sets himself up for it and gets grouchy about it.

Reactions: armani

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

He's an adult with a high profile gig that probably pays relatively well, at least for us middle class shmucks. I dont think he has any youngchildren. Who knows if he even owns property. No major responsibility, pure disposable income. I'd live it up too if I were in that situation. I'd do it in a different way, but to each their own.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Stopped listening to the station altogether. Versage is definitely a no go for me. Mendes is the only person with a spine or any personality on the entire roster. Simpson kinda grew on me but he still has nothing relevant to say.

Tons of content to keep me up on sports between the Ringer and Slate's hang up and listen or various fantasy football shows. Much better to listen to a new podcast on the commute than to AM radio with none stop ads about money lenders and truck sales. Doubt the station is long for this world. Any AM stations that aren't getting public funds or Murdoch/Koch type of shady funding is likely gone in the next 4-5 years.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I thoroughly enjoy listening to Versage. His shtick works for me, and he is probably the most genuinely passionate sports fan on the station.

He's like that guy your group of friends really like, but he's still the butt of every joke because he sets himself up for it and gets grouchy about it.

He's an adult with a high profile gig that probably pays relatively well, at least for us middle class shmucks. I dont think he has any youngchildren. Who knows if he even owns property. No major responsibility, pure disposable income. I'd live it up too if I were in that situation. I'd do it in a different way, but to each their own.
He shoots, he scooooooores!

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
I've noticed this too about Simmer. If he's super hyper wealthy I don't know why Ian wrote a column about how down on his luck he was. Anyways, I usually turn off volume when Simmer goes on with Pierre McGuire, wish J.R. would have stepped in more.
Who knows Simmer is a classic BSer so we don't know what his story really is, everything he told Ian could of been embellished a bit as an excuse for his behavior. Guess we won't know and if our choice to listen to him or not. Simmer isn't going anywhere because plenty seem to love his ego and bs.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Agreed , if you can do it more power to you. Just don't talk about it so much

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Stopped listening to the station altogether. Versage is definitely a no go for me. Mendes is the only person with a spine or any personality on the entire roster. Simpson kinda grew on me but he still has nothing relevant to say.

Tons of content to keep me up on sports between the Ringer and Slate's hang up and listen or various fantasy football shows. Much better to listen to a new podcast on the commute than to AM radio with none stop ads about money lenders and truck sales. Doubt the station is long for this world. Any AM stations that aren't getting public funds or Murdoch/Koch type of shady funding is likely gone in the next 4-5 years.
It’s summer time radio. No senators, not much interest. But I agree things will have to improve to hold on to my attention.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
One suggestion to vastly improve the radio station come Sept.:

Marc Methot joins Ian Mendez on the Drive Home

Assuming he's retiring as most expect, Marc is a natural on the radio and would offer the recent insight on both the Senators and the NHL.

JR & Simmer in the morning
Lloyd and White midday
Mendez and Methot on the Drive Home

AJ on RedBlacks/Fury and studio fill in
Versage as fill in

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
One suggestion to vastly improve the radio station come Sept.:

Marc Methot joins Ian Mendez on the Drive Home

Assuming he's retiring as most expect, Marc is a natural on the radio and would offer the recent insight on both the Senators and the NHL.

JR & Simmer in the morning
Lloyd and White midday
Mendez and Methot on the Drive Home

AJ on RedBlacks/Fury and studio fill in
Versage as fill in
The thing that the station is missing out on is they have no online presence. Every radio show in the states has a accessible video feed people can watch. There is no TSN1200 youtube channel. That's a revenue stream they should explore. I love the Joe Rogan Experience 1: cause it is very informative and 2: because they display many of the things they are talking about. Old style radio is dying and everything is moving to the internet.

41,000 views, 220,000 subscribers

Leever has earned the spot he was given and as good as Methot is on the mic we don't need another former hockey player. We need sports professionals who cover "sports".

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
The thing that the station is missing out on is they have no online presence. Every radio show in the states has a accessible video feed people can watch. There is no TSN1200 youtube channel. That's a revenue stream they should explore. I love the Joe Rogan Experience 1: cause it is very informative and 2: because they display many of the things they are talking about. Old style radio is dying and everything is moving to the internet.

41,000 views, 220,000 subscribers

Leever has earned the spot he was given and as good as Methot is on the mic we don't need another former hockey player. We need sports professionals who cover "sports".

They use to have a webcast when they first became TSN for a year or so. I agree Methot would be a great weekly spot guy but not full time.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
Sign me up for Methot on the radio. Every time I’ve heard him he seems like a natural. Might have his sights set higher though as he’d probably be great on TV too.

Also what’s with 1200 not playing the full Canada WWC game today? Never mind the live look ins, just play the game. It’s kind of a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad