The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You do realize that there are multiple sports in the world that use "World Cup"? Like skiing has a "World Cup", hockey , cricket, rugby...the list goes on and on and on. So, referring to it as the Women's World Cup of Soccer is really no big deal, the station has much larger problems to deal with than reprimanding Simmer for specifying what "World Cup" sport he is talking about.

So you're that one guy, that does not know which sport competes for the "World Cup", that Simmer must specify for?

BTW, it's the FIFA Womens World Cup .......NOT the Women's World Cup of Soccer.

FIFA Women's World Cup France 2019™ - FIFA.com

The vast Majority of Football fans in the World knows that Football is called "Soccer" in a few countries at most, as it is a game, that is played with your feet (not hands) kinda makes sense.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes the official name is the FIFA World Cup, but everyone knows what the "World Cup" is, as it's been around since 1930.

The World Cup of Hockey, which is it's official name, had to differentiate itself from the "World Cup" was the Successor of the Canada Cup (not the Canada Cup of Hockey).
We live in a country that cares more for hockey than soccer. Your statement that "everyone knows what the World Cup is" is just not true. When I hear World Cup, I intrinsically associate it to hockey because it's the sport I'm more familiar with. I'm very confident in saying I'm not alone there. Saying "World Cup of Soccer" hurts exactly no one and is a damn weird hill to die on.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So you're that one guy, that does not know which sport competes for the "World Cup", that Simmer must specify for?

The vast Majority of Football fans in the World knows that Football is called "Soccer" in a few countries at most, as it is a game, that is played with your feet (not hands) kinda makes sense.
Apparently I am not the only guy as someone else also replied to you and someone else liked my post. That makes at least 3 ppl.

Simmer has so many other glaring flaws in his delivery that just this one alone barely registers..

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Nobody really cares.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
"The Natural" He should bring some interesting perspectives to the show.

An audition perhaps?
I can see Methot eventually ending up on one of the big networks like Galley.
I'm all for former pros getting on the mic but they should actually take a radio coarse as not to just wing it for the long term. Having an opinion is one thing, but there is more to radio than just that. Not that Methot is a former pro yet but you get the just.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm all for former pros getting on the mic but they should actually take a radio coarse as not to just wing it for the long term. Having an opinion is one thing, but there is more to radio than just that. Not that Methot is a former pro yet but you get the just.
not sure about that, there are many great podcasts and such from guys with no formal training. If it comes naturally he will do well. I'm not sure he'd be good as a Gary Galley type guy between the benches, though.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Radio is not easy. Having a foundation is better than hoping for the nest. Ian being a journalist understands what he has to do to prepare and plan out his time. He is very meticulous on that regard. Just saying there more to radio than just talking.

Reactions: MiscBrah

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Radio is not easy. Having a foundation is better than hoping for the nest. Ian being a journalist understands what he has to do to prepare and plan out his time. He is very meticulous on that regard. Just saying there more to radio than just talking.
Simmer and Todd White prep work seems to consist of reading their twitter feeds just before starting their shows and continually refreshing while the show is happening.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

I agree, not taking a broadcasting coarse, leads to some really rough radio.:sarcasm:

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Do you know that he hasn't taken a class? I know the NBA has options for active players to take courses in the summer. I wonder if the NHL does the same.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I doubt it.

I think it was Jason York and Steve Loyd a few years back talking about how they do have media programs for former athletes who want to transition into radio or TV. I doubt any of these guys want to go to Algonquin for two years, there are other options for them to learn the basics.

Like you said, hosting a talk radio show isn't nearly as easy as some people seem to think it is on here.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Do you know that he hasn't taken a class? I know the NBA has options for active players to take courses in the summer. I wonder if the NHL does the same.

I think it was Jason York and Steve Loyd a few years back talking about how they do have media programs for former athletes who want to transition into radio or TV. I doubt any of these guys want to go to Algonquin for two years, there are other options for them to learn the basics.

Like you said, hosting a talk radio show isn't nearly as easy as some people seem to think it is on here.

I was just coming on here to say the same thing. I also remember Jason York saying he took a radio course through the NHLPA even while he was playing or in his last yr, I believe.

Reactions: Simplicity

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Colour me completely unsurprised. Methot's been a media rockstar since he started with the Sens. Glad to hear the skillset's still there. Hope he's able to parlay that into a successful post-NHL career in radio if he wants it.
I find the former players/executives that are able to leave their egos aside tend to be the most successful./
I feel like the players that are the most successful in the media tend to be the ones that are able to check their egos and not think they are better because of a role they once had in the game.

For example, you don't need to continually remind the listener of who you are and what you have done, we all know. Like does TSN1200 have to continually remind us that Shawn Simpson is a "former NHL executive"?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I find the former players/executives that are able to leave their egos aside tend to be the most successful./
I feel like the players that are the most successful in the media tend to be the ones that are able to check their egos and not think they are better because of a role they once had in the game.

Along those lines, I find that the best ones tend to be the ones who weren't in the "sexy" positions. The grinders and the stay-at-home defencemen. That's not to say there are no good commentators who were more prolific, but anecdotally the best former NHLers in media are the ones who had the same lunchpail mentality in their career as they have on the media grind. First out-of-market example that immediately comes to mind is Chris Therien, who was a stay-at-home defenceman with the Flyers and is now an analyst with NBC Philadelphia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->