The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I know Methot is gonna do everything in his power to get healthy enough to play, but if that doesn't come to fruition he needs to be priority #1 for the station. The guy absolutely killed it with (presumably) zero media training and no prior experience. He'd be top-five on the station if he stepped in tomorrow. He's better than all the other former players/execs. I'd actually love to see him slide into White's spot, but that seems a long ways away given his attempt to come back from this injury.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Dave Poulin just mentioned on TSN1050 that Pierre Dorion listens to Leafs Lunch between 12-2 because Ottawa's local station doesn't have a 'hockey show' between that time. He apparently listens all the time and a big a fan, and he texts/calls Dave to discuss some of the stories he talks about on the show.

I thought that was a little interesting...

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Despite the fact it is "Leaf centric" 1050 format isn't bad when you compare it to 1200.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Megan Rapinoe’s goal celebration at the WC is iconic. She uses the media as well as an athlete can. To have an audience in France chant an equal pay mantra from a USA athlete speaks to her excellence on the field and her ability to transcend her sport.

I didn’t like her when she started the WC and by the end I was a big fan. That’s rare - she managed to be the best in her sport and still be the underdog of the people looking for a more just world by speaking her mind and showing courage - and all that hard work and all that self belief she has has been embraced by the world.

Kudos to her, the WWC was amazing and I’m watching now. Big fan and I always was, but it was Canada or nothing - now I’m full buy in

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Back on topic, re: Simmer

Discussion on Jesse Puujarvi (spelled wrong I am sure) and his current status with the Edmonton Oilers, and Simmer hits us with a doozy this morning.

"Ya, not really sure what's going on there, don't really understand it, I know his agent really well, and he is a very nice guy, so I am confused about this", then the discussion immediately ended.

That was it. Simmer LOVES to name drop who he knows in terms of agents/executives, but his insight into negotiations and how players are handled always seems so incomplete.

Try harder Simmer, this isn't the analysis on the situation that you were brought in for.

Last edited:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Boro may not be greatest dman in the league but he really does sound like a really good guy.

Its about time that Bunda and Chreech finally got a show together without Versage, even though it was done because everyone else is on vacation. These two guys are the two best hosts the station has, keep them on the air and turf the Versage's and Todd White's of the world. These guys would probably be cheaper too.

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Back on topic, re: Simmer

Discussion on Jesse Puujarvi (spelled wrong I am sure) and his current status with the Edmonton Oilers, and Simmer hits us with a doozy this morning.

"Ya, not really sure what's going on there, don't really understand it, I know his agent really well, and he is a very nice guy, so I am confused about this", then the discussion immediately ended.

That was it. Simmer LOVES to name drop who he knows in terms of agents/executives, but his insight into negotiations and how players are handled always seems so incomplete.

Try harder Simmer, this isn't the analysis on the situation that you were brought in for.

Simmer's tweets are just becoming Magic Johnson-esque as well. Providing zero actual insight on the topic, and just more-or-less stating the obvious.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's sad that the best backup they have to call up for a radio personality replacement is Brennan.

He's ****ing terrible
Hearing Brennan try to argue this morning that he thought Zack Smith was going to become a scorer in this league after the extension was laughable.

Its a shame that TSN1200 keeps trotting out the old guard (Brennan, Ken Warren, and CJ) while much better, younger, more professional and prepared options (Bunda, Creech, Callum), seem to still be trying to earn the respect of JR who doesn't trust them enough to be on the radio without their babysitter Versage. Hmmm, I wonder why this station has trouble attracting new listeners?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
In the box has been really good today. The guy from battle of the Atlantic has been cool to listen too. Good knowledge of sports on general.
Callum Fraser (battle of Atlantic guy)
Steve Bunda
Graham Creech

All extremely young, knowledgeable sports minds who are very good at what they do, but JR decides to go with Don Brennan instead.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Steve Bunda
Graham Creech

All extremely young, knowledgeable sports minds who are very good at what they do, but JR decides to go with Don Brennan instead.

Callum Fraser is excellent at talking hockey and I love his takes

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Steve Bunda
Graham Creech

There is a certain type of flow that they are going for in the morning and as good as those guys might be they don't fit for morning radio. Donny doesn't take himself too seriously and is having fun with it. I like him in the summer but not fulltime. He has covered sports for long enough that he has earned his time to talk. People respect peers who pay their dues in most situations. Some get in through the back door and are never taken seriously.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Thought I'd bump this to say how brutal The Drive has been with Versage hosting since Ian has been on holidays. Nothing like tuning in after a long day at the office to hear Lee whining about Mambo #5 being played for the Leftover 5's intro every single day, and the adversarial stance he takes on just about every single topic discussed.

It's insane to me how the station lets this continue. There are almost no actual insightful discussions with Lee, as his pessimistic outlook on everything in life just completely craters any kind of interesting discussions. I don't know how old he is, but he is the walking definition of "old man yells at cloud".

I really said to myself I'd give him a chance when he started co-hosting The Drive, especially after Ian told him on air how a lot of us listeners perceive him, and tried to give him feedback, but he just simply refuses to take constructive criticism and change his tune.

One day on the Leftover 5, they were discussing Lebron's Taco Tuesday video, and Lee's take was that he didn't like it because Lebron was just being the "embarrassing Dad", and was forcing everyone to go along against their will. Like what? Everyone is laughing their ass off at Lebron, and even Bronny (a teenager) is laughing and playing along when Lebron throws it to him for a "Taco Tuesssdayyyy". How can he possibly derive that take from such a harmless, wholesome video? It's actually nice to see LeBron behaving like a normal human just having taco's with his family on a Tuesday night.

I just can't stand Lee. He's beyond awful. He belongs on niche shows like CFL stuff, Corner Kicks or whatever other off-hour shows they can throw him on.

/rant

Reactions: ksens

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
On the positive side, it's been good to hear more of Michaela Schreiter. She doesn't have an agenda or a big chip on her shoulder - she just goes forward and talks sports in a very easy going manner. She's a breath of fresh air around that place...

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Thought I'd bump this to say how brutal The Drive has been with Versage hosting since Ian has been on holidays. Nothing like tuning in after a long day at the office to hear Lee whining about Mambo #5 being played for the Leftover 5's intro every single day, and the adversarial stance he takes on just about every single topic discussed.

It's insane to me how the station lets this continue. There are almost no actual insightful discussions with Lee, as his pessimistic outlook on everything in life just completely craters any kind of interesting discussions. I don't know how old he is, but he is the walking definition of "old man yells at cloud".

I really said to myself I'd give him a chance when he started co-hosting The Drive, especially after Ian told him on air how a lot of us listeners perceive him, and tried to give him feedback, but he just simply refuses to take constructive criticism and change his tune.

One day on the Leftover 5, they were discussing Lebron's Taco Tuesday video, and Lee's take was that he didn't like it because Lebron was just being the "embarrassing Dad", and was forcing everyone to go along against their will. Like what? Everyone is laughing their ass off at Lebron, and even Bronny (a teenager) is laughing and playing along when Lebron throws it to him for a "Taco Tuesssdayyyy". How can he possibly derive that take from such a harmless, wholesome video? It's actually nice to see LeBron behaving like a normal human just having taco's with his family on a Tuesday night.

I just can't stand Lee. He's beyond awful. He belongs on niche shows like CFL stuff, Corner Kicks or whatever other off-hour shows they can throw him on.

/rant
Are you old enough to have been around for Over the Edge back in the day? Lee and Glenn Kulka? WOWSERS.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Looks like Steve Lloyd has taken over the role as the only guy allowed to throw lay up questions to Pierre Dorion.

Nice work Lloydy! Way to help carry the water!

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Looks like Steve Lloyd has taken over the role as the only guy allowed to throw lay up questions to Pierre Dorion.

I'd be shocked if Dorian does an interview with Mendes again.

Guy doesnt have the balls for it

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I refuse to listen to a Dorion interview, but just for fun I scrolled down the TSN1200 twitter feed to find it... here's the headline on the tweet:

Dorion: Lassi Thomson looks like he'll be a star in the NHL ()

Really Pierre? Four weeks after drafting him you're confident in projecting him as a "star"?

While this doesn't rank up there with his "proudest day as an NHL GM" buffoonery after the Stone trade, it's still pretty bad. Any reasonable hockey exec would say something like "From everything we've seen from Lassi, we're very happy with our pick and feel lucky to have him in the organization."

Reactions: Deku

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I thought the same thing and I heard that interview live...the guy can't help himself!

It's like he is a fanboy and he just gets so excited about all the Senators draft picks with visions of each and every one of them turning in to stars.

Undersell and over deliver GMPD...go back to the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad