The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
I thinking, hoping in the Fall once the vacations are all over and they are back to a normal schedule the shows will all make some changes to each show. The 60 second contest needs to be retired Summer should be interesting covering all the holes during vacation, wonder if Ian will be doing more mornings when JR is gone.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I cant even listen to the drive on the way home anymore. Luv Ian. Can't stand Lever Sage

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Gino Reda has a bit of a Meg Ryan thing going on...but damn that man has some smooth skin.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I cant even listen to the drive on the way home anymore. Luv Ian. Can't stand Lever Sage

Same, used to listen to the drive on the way home from work religiously but I just cant take Versage anymore.

The guy is such a blowhard. I get he's trying to be a heel or whatever (or at least I hope his personality is crafted...), but his asinine hot takes and the way he presents himself just makes him come across as such a gigantic "french word for shower". Dude gets so mad when people call out his stupid opinions as being stupid opinions. I just cant anymore.

Reactions: BatherSeason

R2010

May 23, 2011
Yeah I liked Ian and Shawn eventually. Lever is pretty tough to listen to.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Listened to "That's What She Said" last Friday .............. they should change the name of the show to "That Being Said" because they use that line at least once a minute.

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Ian,
Are you going to bring back Simmerdown during your time with Simmer on Mornings?
Do you prefer afternoon or monrings? Question, explain something I get Lee can be a bit of a nuanace but why is he the butt of everyone jokes on TSN. Simmer is just a much as a nuanace and he is more rude to his fellow co workers and basically everyone else to prove how great he is?

No matter who you are on with you are always the most professional and prepared host on TSN12oo.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ian,
Are you going to bring back Simmerdown during your time with Simmer on Mornings?
Do you prefer afternoon or monrings? Question, explain something I get Lee can be a bit of a nuanace but why is he the butt of everyone jokes on TSN. Simmer is just a much as a nuanace and he is more rude to his fellow co workers and basically everyone else to prove how great he is?

No matter who you are on with you are always the most professional and prepared host on TSN12oo.
Stop being a "nuanace" lol

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Listened to these two this morning, and it's nothing new for Simmer, but now @ianmendes is also calling the World Cup "the World Cup of Soccer".

It's the World Cup, or the FIFA World Cup.

It's not the World Cup of Soccer.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Listened to these two this morning, and it's nothing new for Simmer, but now @ianmendes is also calling the World Cup "the World Cup of Soccer".

It's the World Cup, or the FIFA World Cup.

It's not the World Cup of Soccer.

No — I don’t refer to it as the “World Cup of soccer” on a regular basis. However, if memory serves me, we were specifically talking about the World Cup of Hockey and then suddenly were talking about the FIFA World Cup.

So sure, maybe it was a one-off where I may have said World Cup in soccer - since we were talking about the World Cup of Hockey.

But the suggestion that I now *always* refer to it as the “World Cup of Soccer” is inaccurate.

Ian

Reactions: Variable26 and Deku

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Ian,

Thanks for listening as always. I should probably bring back SimmerDown....maybe if we get a few more shifts together this summer that’s something I will do.

In the summer time, I don’t mind the morning shifts. Love the idea of being done by day at 10:30am or so. And at 5am it’s bright outside, so getting up isn’t that hard. But in the winter I think it’s a real grind and for that, I think I would prefer the afternoon time slot.

As for Lee being the target of many jokes, I think he brings it upon himself with what we sometimes feel is manufactured “hot takery”. He’s crazy knowledgeable about a wide range of sports and I always tell him that should be what separates him from his colleagues.

He can speak with a great degree of passion and knowledge on some “periphery” sports such as CFL, curling, junior hockey, etc. But I tell him — both privately and publicly — that people like the knowledge he brings, they don’t appreciate the manner in which he delivers it. Once he finds that perfect balance of being opinionated without being condescending to the listener, he’ll be arguably the best host at our station. And it shouldn’t even be close. I tell him that our two contrasting personalities will make for good talk radio, but it can’t be argumentative. People work their tails off during the day, the last thing they want to do when they get into their vehicle at 4:30p
is to hear an angry rant about something that really isn’t that important. There is a fine line between a good, spirited debate and an annoying argument. People want the former, not the latter. We’ll get there at some point.

As for not making fun of Simmer, I think he would argue to the contrary that we’re always mocking him for his butchering of the English language and stories that needlessly involve members of the Washington Capitals.

Ian

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Thanks for listening as always. I should probably bring back SimmerDown....maybe if we get a few more shifts together this summer that’s something I will do.

In the summer time, I don’t mind the morning shifts. Love the idea of being done by day at 10:30am or so. And at 5am it’s bright outside, so getting up isn’t that hard. But in the winter I think it’s a real grind and for that, I think I would prefer the afternoon time slot.

As for Lee being the target of many jokes, I think he brings it upon himself with what we sometimes feel is manufactured “hot takery”. He’s crazy knowledgeable about a wide range of sports and I always tell him that should be what separates him from his colleagues.

He can speak with a great degree of passion and knowledge on some “periphery” sports such as CFL, curling, junior hockey, etc. But I tell him — both privately and publicly — that people like the knowledge he brings, they don’t appreciate the manner in which he delivers it. Once he finds that perfect balance of being opinionated without being condescending to the listener, he’ll be arguably the best host at our station. And it shouldn’t even be close. I tell him that our two contrasting personalities will make for good talk radio, but it can’t be argumentative. People work their tails off during the day, the last thing they want to do when they get into their vehicle at 4:30p
is to hear an angry rant about something that really isn’t that important. There is a fine line between a good, spirited debate and an annoying argument. People want the former, not the latter. We’ll get there at some point.

As for not making fun of Simmer, I think he would argue to the contrary that we’re always mocking him for his butchering of the English language and stories that needlessly involve members of the Washington Capitals.

Ian

I always harken back to the format of the Dan Patrick show, and I think Lee could take a great deal from that.

Dan carries the discussion, much like you do, and when one of his co-hosts has a point, he gives them the floor, they state their point/question, it's discussed civilly, intricately, and approached from all angles, then they move on.

If it were Lee, he would interject, pose a question or hot take in his argumentative tone, then condescendingly shame you for disagreeing with it, and proceed to die on the hill defending it, even if it means grasping at straws trying to support it.

Despite Lee's wide array of sports knowledge, I find his takes are not very thought provoking. Often, I feel myself either thinking "Well, yea obviously" or "No, that's ridiculous" when Lee gives a take. It's hard to characterize and quantify it, but Lee is just very exhausting to listen to.

I hear Callum Fraser chime in some days and it's like the biggest breath of fresh air imaginable. He presents interesting points to issues, in a very objective, discussion oriented manner, which is exactly what I want to hear when I listen to radio. If it gets me thinking, I'm in.

Just my 2 cents. Keep up the good work as always Ian!

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017

Ian

Ian,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I have no doubt you will work your magic and with your guidance Lee will become the best verision of himself. Look how far Simmer has come with your help. Sorry, still disagree with you on Simmer being mocked as much as he dishes out. It drives me crazy how much he makes fun of other hosts or anyone you are talking about for their clothes not having a lable, looks, etc. Guess he doesn't understand not everyone can afford his lifestyle and glamours life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->