OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

And here it is :eek:

Ok, 2020, you've had your fun. Now calm the f*** down.

SleepyNarrowDiamondbackrattlesnake-size_restricted.gif

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Took my 19 y.o. daughter and 17 y.o. son golfing this evening.

She’s played a real course 3x...him maybe 10x.

Obviously, neither scored particularly well but she birdied a par three and he hit a 275 yard drive.....funny story about it though.

When he teed off and I saw how far it went, I said to him....

Hey maybe I should use your driver.

He looked at his club and said...funny, this is my 3 wood.

If he had the patience, will or interest he could be good.

Reactions: LSCII and CDJ

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

Obviously, neither scored particularly well but she birdied a par three and he hit a 275 yard drive.....funny story about it though.

My dad was the big golfer in the family. He tried to get me interested in it and I played a few times, but I was more interested in driving the golf cart. :laugh:

Reactions: BMC and sarge88

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
the positive rate in MA right now is the lowest its ever been. its around 1.5% .
nobody stays home during a stay at home order. they just crowd up other places.

In NJ we are under 1.0 and have been for about 6 days. We had been at .87 for a week or so before that but have been having upticks due to group gatherings. We mostly stayed at home except for food and medicine. Staying at home nationally will drive the number down, and then there needs to be a managed opening. Not the crap we have been seeing with the results today of a strong foothold of the virus Nationally.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I think i max out around 250, but that’s a 3 Iron off a tee, with a charitable bounce off the cart path.

i have a wicked push and even worse slice with a driver or any sort of “wood.” If I’m walking i don’t even take the driver or 3w with me. They stay in the trunk

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think i max out around 250, but that’s a 3 Iron off a tee, with a charitable bounce off the cart path.

i have a wicked push and even worse slice with a driver or any sort of “wood.” If I’m walking i don’t even take the driver or 3w with me. They stay in the trunk

I know I’m going to slice any wood, at least 30 yards....so I aim 30 yards left when I can.

lol

Reactions: TD Charlie

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

That's great Sarge! I took my girls to the driving range last week and they loved it. My 8 year old and 11 year old both play softball, so them hitting a ball while stationary wasn't a big stretch. The secret evil plan I have it to hopefully have one of them get the bug and that way I can go with them and get back playing more regularly.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I know I’m going to slice any wood, at least 30 yards....so I aim 30 yards left when I can.

lol

amen. If I’m swinging a driver i will typically aim about 45 degrees left, and I’m not exaggerating. The best is when i finally hit a tee shot square and it goes 8 thousand yards across two other fairways

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That's great Sarge! I took my girls to the driving range last week and they loved it. My 8 year old and 11 year old both play softball, so them hitting a ball while stationary wasn't a big stretch. The secret evil plan I have it to hopefully have one of them get the bug and that way I can go with them and get back playing more regularly.

Keep them playing!

We did the same thing when they were young...hitting the range or the par 3 once in a while but when my daughter hit 13 or so she didn’t want to play out of fear of messing up her softball swing.

Jokes on her...she couldn’t hit in softball.
Lol.

Seriously though, we’re considering joining a club next year since my wife plays too.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Keep them playing!

We did the same thing when they were young...hitting the range or the par 3 once in a while but when my daughter hit 13 or so she didn’t want to play out of fear of messing up her softball swing.

Jokes on her...she couldn’t hit in softball.
Lol.

Seriously though, we’re considering joining a club next year since my wife plays too.

Before I had my 3 girls, I used to play 36 holes a weekend. Since then I can count on one hand how many times I've played. My oldest loved it and was really getting into it. She plays softball and is a very good batter, but I don't think she cares for the fielding aspect of the sport (I cursed her with being a lefty, so you get to play first or outfield and she only wants to catch) , so golf could be a good transition. She preferred hitting only the big dog and said she doesn't care for hitting her irons. I had to laugh because I feel the same way.

Reactions: Spooner st and BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Before I had my 3 girls, I used to play 36 holes a weekend. Since then I can count on one hand how many times I've played. My oldest loved it and was really getting into it. She plays softball and is a very good batter, but I don't think she cares for the fielding aspect of the sport (I cursed her with being a lefty, so you get to play first or outfield and she only wants to catch) , so golf could be a good transition. She preferred hitting only the big dog and said she doesn't care for hitting her irons. I had to laugh because I feel the same way.

That’s great. Any time together is worthwhile.

I will say that after doing the Summer tournament circuit as well as high school softball for a solid 4 years I was amazed at how many left handed catchers I saw.

There just isn’t the stigma that there is in baseball, so if she really likes it, keep at it. Even at the higher levels coaches don’t look at it as a negative.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That’s great. Any time together is worthwhile.

I will say that after doing the Summer tournament circuit as well as high school softball for a solid 4 years I was amazed at how many left handed catchers I saw.

There just isn’t the stigma that there is in baseball, so if she really likes it, keep at it. Even at the higher levels coaches don’t look at it as a negative.

That's great to hear because even in our town league some of the coaches aren't receptive to it. It's so dumb too because she has a good arm and is one of the few kids who can make the throw to second. At this point though, I'm not sure how much longer she's going to play. Last season was messed up because of Triple E and now this year's spring and fall seasons were wiped out by Covid. I'd like her to continue but I'm not going to pressure her. A lot of the girls she started playing with have already moved on as well, including her best friend, so her interest is diminishing I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad