OT - NO POLITICS The New Normal - Hockey meets the dog days of Summer II

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Does anyone watch Yellowstone?

I've got to be honest here --- I can count on one hand the television shows where I've actually felt dread over the fact that the season finale is looming.

It is so good.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Does anyone watch Yellowstone?

I've got to be honest here --- I can count on one hand the television shows where I've actually felt dread over the fact that the season finale is looming.

It is so good.

It's the best. It's as dark as anything out there. Great cast. It had me hooked from the first episode. I recently turned my brother and his wife onto it, but I warned them it was dark. They asked "Like Ozark dark?" I said "Just as dark."

Reactions: sarge88

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Thanks y'all. :)

Well, Daisy has several issues, most of which are relatively minor, but we have to go back in a month and probably start her on heart meds once her UTI clears up.

I sense that she will be demanding many treats when I get home tonight.
If they want her to take Vetmedin and furosemide (Lasix) for her heart let me know. Vetmedin is expensive and though it is mostly for dogs they had Frodo on it. I have at least a months worth of both these meds and world love to give them to someone who could use them.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
If they want her to take Vetmedin and furosemide (Lasix) for her heart let me know. Vermedin is expensive and though it is mostly for dogs they had Frodo on it. I have at least a months worth of both these meds and world love to give them to someone who could use them.
Aww, thanks! I will keep that in mind. :)

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Mass. teen who played hockey out of state contracts COVID-19 - The Boston Globe

Boys affiliated with at least two Massachusetts youth hockey programs — the Boston Hockey Club and Boston Junior Blues — also competed in the Connecticut tournament, which was dubbed the “War of the Well.” The event was originally scheduled for an arena in Cromwell, Conn., but instead was played at rinks in Hamden and Northford.

Public health authorities have not said whether any other participants in the tournament have been infected. Managers of the Boston Hockey Club and Boston Junior Blues did not respond to requests for comment.

CDC suggests recovered COVID-19 patients have protection for 3 months

Nurses at reopening schools brace for 'uphill fight' to keep students safe from COVID-19

Florida high school sports approved to return this fall[/QUOTE

My son had practice in one of the other rinks when one of those games were being played in Northford. I dropped him off and went to get something to eat, and when I came back it looked like a normal Saturday in January. Parking lot was packed, all NY and MA plates. We watched like 10 minutes of the game and then hightailed it out of there.

I hope this doesn’t sink hockey in CT, we’ve been doing a pretty good job on Covid.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'm aware that the field I work in skews my perspective, but it's so disheartening to deal with so many families that have been significantly impacted by the restrictions put in place due to Covid.

The relapses into drug and/or alcohol dependency, suicides, joblessness, homelessness, abuse are all spiking at an alarming rate.

I've had to tell 1 kid that his mother passed away (suicide, it seems) and 3 or 4 others that they aren't going to be able to reunite with their parents as expected because the parents have relapsed, lost their jobs and/or are now homeless.

As real and destructive as this virus is --- far more people are being significantly impacted by the ancillary issues related to it.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
.......As real and destructive as this virus is --- far more people are being significantly impacted by the ancillary issues related to it.

The last sentence of your post is one that I think often gets overlooked in the whole COVID debate. Especially as it pertains to COVIDs disproportional economic impact on those who are already struggling to make ends meet.

Take education for example. My family is fortunate enough to be in a very good school district. Its easier for my kids to do online learning for school. My son has a laptop (provided by the school), he has good internet service, he has 2 parents at home and only 1 of us works full time. He has someone at home with him while he goes to school on line. He doesn't rely on the public school system to provide him with 1 or 2 regular meals per day that his parents couldn't normally afford. He also doesn't have to worry about his parents losing their job and getting the utilities turned off or being evicted. In short, we are blessed enough that we can make the adjustment to online school with minimal disruption or economic impact.

Lots of other families can't.

Last edited:

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The last sentence of your post is one that I think often gets overlooked in the whole COVID debate. Especially as it pertains to COVIDs disproportional economic impact on those who are already struggling to make ends meet.

Take education for example. My family is fortunate enough to be in a very good school district. Its easier for my kids to do online learning for school. My son has a laptop (provided by the school), he has good internet service, he has 2 parents at home and only 1 of us works full time. He has someone at home with him while he goes to school on line. He doesn't rely on the public school system to provide him with 1 or 2 regular meals per day that his parents couldn't normally afford. He also doesn't have to worry about his parents losing their job and getting the utilities turned off or being evicted. In short, we are blessed enough that we can make the adjustment to online school with minimal disruption or economic impact.

Lots of other families can't.

So true.

Here are a couple of "first world" issues that are related to my family at this time.

First, my oldest is in college but had to return home to live because they aren't opening all of the dorm space and we live 20 minutes away -- so she couldn't get housing this year. No big deal -- she can live with it for a few months.

My son, a HS junior is on an IEP due to slow processing, especially in math. The big issue for him is this;

He was supposed to take 10th grade MCAS in Math last spring (MCAS is a standardized test that one must pass to receive a diploma in Massachusetts). The reason they take this test in the spring of 10th grade is because for the vast majority of students 10th grade (Algebra 2/Geometry) is the primary content of this test. The thinking is that they take Algebra 1 in 9th grade, Algebra 2/Geometry in 10th and the content for the test should be fresh in their minds in the spring. Now my son hasn't been in the same room with a math teacher since St. Patrick's Day. If they want him to take this test in October or November as has been rumored, 7 or 8 months will have passed since he had in-person instruction in the subject that is most challenging for him and he'll be expected to take a test that he needs to pass in order to graduate.

My brother and sister in law are upper middle class and both work for my sister in law's family business. Business has slowed, but they're ok financially and she has pretty much stayed at home throughout this period with their 5 year old, 8 year old and 11 year old. They are fortunate enough to have laptops/iPads for each child, but obviously my sister in law is playing a big role in their online learning. I can't imagine what a low income family with 3-4 kids spaced a couple of years apart with a limited number of devices would do --- especially for those families where the parents need to work.

Lastly, my cousin - a single mother of and 11 year old lives in a district where they are starting out fully remote. She can't leave her daughter home by herself 5 days each week and certainly can't work her full time job. The father does pay what he's supposed to in child support/alimony, but in order to do that (and allow her to pay rent, put food on the table, and pay his own living expenses) he works 60 hours a week.

I realize that we're relatively fortunate -- I just really hope people who are quick to judge those of us who have concerns beyond Covid think long and hard about what's happening to the vast majority of people in this environment.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
So true.

Here are a couple of "first world" issues that are related to my family at this time.

First, my oldest is in college but had to return home to live because they aren't opening all of the dorm space and we live 20 minutes away -- so she couldn't get housing this year. No big deal -- she can live with it for a few months.

My son, a HS junior is on an IEP due to slow processing, especially in math. The big issue for him is this;

He was supposed to take 10th grade MCAS in Math last spring (MCAS is a standardized test that one must pass to receive a diploma in Massachusetts). The reason they take this test in the spring of 10th grade is because for the vast majority of students 10th grade (Algebra 2/Geometry) is the primary content of this test. The thinking is that they take Algebra 1 in 9th grade, Algebra 2/Geometry in 10th and the content for the test should be fresh in their minds in the spring. Now my son hasn't been in the same room with a math teacher since St. Patrick's Day. If they want him to take this test in October or November as has been rumored, 7 or 8 months will have passed since he had in-person instruction in the subject that is most challenging for him and he'll be expected to take a test that he needs to pass in order to graduate.

My brother and sister in law are upper middle class and both work for my sister in law's family business. Business has slowed, but they're ok financially and she has pretty much stayed at home throughout this period with their 5 year old, 8 year old and 11 year old. They are fortunate enough to have laptops/iPads for each child, but obviously my sister in law is playing a big role in their online learning. I can't imagine what a low income family with 3-4 kids spaced a couple of years apart with a limited number of devices would do --- especially for those families where the parents need to work.

Lastly, my cousin - a single mother of and 11 year old lives in a district where they are starting out fully remote. She can't leave her daughter home by herself 5 days each week and certainly can't work her full time job. The father does pay what he's supposed to in child support/alimony, but in order to do that (and allow her to pay rent, put food on the table, and pay his own living expenses) he works 60 hours a week.

I realize that we're relatively fortunate -- I just really hope people who are quick to judge those of us who have concerns beyond Covid think long and hard about what's happening to the vast majority of people in this environment.
We have very similar issues, so you aren't alone.

My daughter is in college as well, online this semester and living at home. Personally, I'm thrilled to not be getting hit with the $$$ I'd normally be shelling out in room and board this year. She doesn't seem to mind it either.

My son is a high school senior and is also on an IEP. Most of last year's spring semester was a complete write off and this year will be what it will be. We will do the best we can and are better situated then a lot of families so I'm by no means complaining.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm aware that the field I work in skews my perspective, but it's so disheartening to deal with so many families that have been significantly impacted by the restrictions put in place due to Covid.

The relapses into drug and/or alcohol dependency, suicides, joblessness, homelessness, abuse are all spiking at an alarming rate.

I've had to tell 1 kid that his mother passed away (suicide, it seems) and 3 or 4 others that they aren't going to be able to reunite with their parents as expected because the parents have relapsed, lost their jobs and/or are now homeless.

As real and destructive as this virus is --- far more people are being significantly impacted by the ancillary issues related to it.

I feel for you man. Has to be tough doing that line of work as it is, let alone with the added stress of a global pandemic on top of it. You're a good man, Sarge.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So true.

The effects are brutal Al.

We lost a 39 year old cousin to Covid. No wake. No funeral. Back in March when nothing was allowed.

As the Mod team here is aware my mother is terminal. Days to weeks. At some point I’ll just disappear for a bit.

We my sisters and I are doing everything we can to support her passing at home. Daily nurses. Hospital bed installed at home. Oxygen.
The stress is overwhelming. But if she needs to go elsewhere we wont be able to be with her. She’ll die all alone.

It all sucks.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
So true.

Ill give this remote schooling a good month or two before people start to see what a joke it will be. Parents working, no internet access, slow internet. Luckily my daughter is very smart for her age, and its not going to hurt her.,but kids that have issues are gonna suffer bigtime.

They are better off just giving the kids a weeks worth of work and let them email it in at the end of the week. That way everyone can be on their own schedule.

Reactions: sarge88

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

We lost a 39 year old cousin to Covid. No wake. No funeral. Back in March when nothing was allowed.

As the Mod team here is aware my mother is terminal. Days to weeks. At some point I’ll just disappear for a bit.

We my sisters and I are doing everything we can to support her passing at home. Daily nurses. Hospital bed installed at home. Oxygen.
The stress is overwhelming. But if she needs to go elsewhere we wont be able to be with her. She’ll die all alone.

It all sucks.
Wally I am sending a hug. It is terrible what you are having to go through.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I feel for you man. Has to be tough doing that line of work as it is, let alone with the added stress of a global pandemic on top of it. You're a good man, Sarge.

Thank you!

I'm not complaining because so many friends, relatives and people I don't know have lost jobs and businesses.

But I will say that working at a job that typically measures about a 6-7 on the stress meter, that has moved to a consistent 8+ on a weekly basis, is taking a toll.

From about March until Memorial day we had a daily meeting a 9:00 a.m. Some days we just sat there in disbelief over some of the mandates from the state that were just impractical or outright nonsense.

Now, there is apparently a mandate coming that all facilities like mine must have mandatory testing of all staff every 2 weeks.

Here is the problem with that:

85% of our staff are under 30 and most of them are the direct care staff who work with the kids on a daily basis.

12 people in the agency (375 employees) have tested positive since March. None have been sick enough that they would have needed to miss more than a few days (they stayed out for 2 weeks, due to the quarantine rules).

The problem is that every time a staff member tested positive, their unit of between 8 and 16 children also had to be quarantined for 2 weeks. This meant that they couldn't go off their unit to the gym, playground etc.

Now, if everyone is tested, regardless of whether or not they have symptoms, how many of 375 do you think will test positive?

We're going to need to quarantine/lockdown nearly 150 kids based on asymptomatic people testing positive for 2 weeks.

Then when the next round of test results come back, certainly a few more people will test positive and the cycle continues.

These are the most troubled kids in the state. Think about how hard it was for our own kids to be out of school, unable to go to the movies, mall, beach, etc. from March until June and now think about that happening again to our kids here for the fall.

Not to mention the fact that families won't be able to come visit their kids again -- like they couldn't from March until mid-July.

It's just so difficult.

Reactions: LSCII

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

It all sucks.

So sorry Wally.

Not a great time for the vast majority of people in the world.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

It all sucks.

This is terrible to hear. Hang in there, man.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
btw, all:

Chipotle is joining the Lewiston/Auburn restaurant scene....replacing Krispy Kreme at a minor expense of 15K renovation, it will be the fifth location in the state

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
@sarge88 as I f-ed up the quote function

You too, hang in there. You are so right that the mental side of this is not getting talked about and it is brutal for some. As some here know, my wife is a psychologist and has seen her client load increase over this time to the point that she has had to stop taking new ones and is booked three weeks out. A large percentage of the new ones are people that are suffering something connected to this pandemic and the lockdown and all the associated shit. It's also been very difficult for many existing clients who already had issues they were struggling with and this has made it worse. While you never really feel that way, it is hard to not think in some sense that it would almost be better to get the damn virus, take your chances and get on with things.

Reactions: LSCII and sarge88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad