The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I hope that Matthews is a great success and the Leafs remain the Leafs.

110 points for Matthews, 76 for the Leafs at his peak.

Sorry guys.;)

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Not that I want to take steam away from his amazing feat, but remember the 8 point night from Gagner and the 5 assists in one game from RNH in his rookie season? These feats happen and, yes they are amazing, but you have to remember that was 1 game. If he can score on a consistent basis then there wouldn't be people playing down this feat.

I for one am amazed and happy for him, but I don't expect him to do it all the time. In fact, I'd be VERY surprised and amazed if he did this more than once a year. I feel the same way with McDavid. It's just cautious optimism in case the player lets you down.

Well obviously. He might never score 4 goals again. But he does look amazing on the ice. It is one game... And I never saw him much before, but now I won't be surprised if he scores 70+ points this year and is top 10 in scoring.

Like when Zi saw Eichel the first time... Guy is really freaking good!

Also Nylander and Marner were crazy dangerous all night.

And I am a Sens fan so....

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I hope that Matthews is a great success and the Leafs remain the Leafs.

110 points for Matthews, 76 for the Leafs at his peak.

Sorry guys.;)

Won't happen. All teams who draft superstars end up drafting them because they are bad. They improve when those players gain experience. Happened with Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa...happening currently to Florida, Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto.

Leafs have smart management, star players in the making. Shore up the D by trading some offence and they will shoot up the standings. Good thing they are still a work in progress and the lotto rules have changed.

Leafs could finish 20th and still wind up picking top 3!

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Won't happen. All teams who draft superstars end up drafting them because they are bad. They improve when those players gain experience. Happened with Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA, Tampa...happening currently to Florida, Edmonton, Buffalo and Toronto.

Leafs have smart management, star players in the making. Shore up the D by trading some offence and they will shoot up the standings. Good thing they are still a work in progress and the lotto rules have changed.

Leafs could finish 20th and still wind up picking top 3!
I can still hope!

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
All props to Matthews. Already looks better than McDavid. Size, hands, puck control, shot. He's going to be a stud.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Couldn't agree more. Watched the Oilers when the Leafs game ended and McDavid is such an incredible player. Him and Matthews really stand out above the other players on the ice, and it's really a shame we won't see them play together once they hit their primes

No telling what could happen. One of them could easily bolt to the others team.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
All props to Matthews. Already looks better than McDavid. Size, hands, puck control, shot. He's going to be a stud.

Ironic post from a guy who says people can't be saying mcdavids as good as they do based on a 45 game sample size, yet after 1 game says Matthews looks better than mcdavid.

Anywho, it was an amazing debut, and good for him.

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
I think it's fun that the league has a lot of young great players like McDavid, Matthews and Eichel to watch right now.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews will be on prime time in both countries on Saturday. NBCSN picks up Toronto vs. Bruins after his 4 goal game.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
Not that I want to take steam away from his amazing feat, but remember the 8 point night from Gagner and the 5 assists in one game from RNH in his rookie season? These feats happen and, yes they are amazing, but you have to remember that was 1 game. If he can score on a consistent basis then there wouldn't be people playing down this feat.

I for one am amazed and happy for him, but I don't expect him to do it all the time. In fact, I'd be VERY surprised and amazed if he did this more than once a year. I feel the same way with McDavid. It's just cautious optimism in case the player lets you down.

Yes I do. I also remember stellar performances from guys that went on to be stars and superstars.

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
I like his two way play alot! Hes great in corners can beat you multiple ways instead of just on the rush.

Hes is going to be an interesting prospect to watch! I have a feeling teams won't be playing as sloppy as Ottawa did against Matthews.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Edmonton 3:16 - For Gretzky so loved the world that he gave his one and only McJesus, that whoever believes in him shall not lose but have Stanley Cups.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Bore from a Californian and Mexican woman ... trained in eternal flames of Scottsdale ... the person who goes by the name Austin Matthews is a false god. Don't believe a word from the heretics who hail from Toronto.

TJinAZ

Aug 27, 2004
Lol

Edmonton 3:16 - For Gretzky so loved the world that he gave his one and only McJesus, that whoever believes in him shall not lose but have Stanley Cups.

The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. Bore from a Californian and Mexican woman ... trained in eternal flames of Scottsdale ... the person who goes by the name Austin Matthews is a false god. Don't believe a word from the heretics who hail from Toronto.

Testify!

I am just waiting for all the Hockey media in Toronto that have forever proclaimed "Hockey doesn't belong in the Desert!" to fess up and apologize to the kid.

LOOKING AT YOU DAVE SHOALTS!!!!

You are right about the best trick though.. making Toronto's savior come from the most hated of non traditional of markets in Arizona is the most delicious irony ever.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Everybody (especially you Leaf fans), I know he went first overall, scored four goals in his first NHL game, but can people really stop overrating him please!?

The threads you guys create makes me glad McDavid didn't go to the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad