The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Awesome night for Matthews. He and McDavid are the future of the NHL for sure.

That said, SOME Leaf fans need to temper expectations. He's a rookie, and will have some tough learning games and cold streaks still.

I predict 60 points if healthy all year, which is still amazing.

Couldn't agree more. Watched the Oilers when the Leafs game ended and McDavid is such an incredible player. Him and Matthews really stand out above the other players on the ice, and it's really a shame we won't see them play together once they hit their primes

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Just to clarify...

He scored 4 goals against OTTAWA.

We're not very good. Let's all wait till he's scored 4 against a better team :laugh:

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Couldn't agree more. Watched the Oilers when the Leafs game ended and McDavid is such an incredible player. Him and Matthews really stand out above the other players on the ice, and it's really a shame we won't see them play together once they hit their primes

The draft lottery machine glitched from it's traditional Edmonton guarantee setting :(

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Just to clarify...

We're not very good. Let's all wait till he's scored 4 against a better team :laugh:

When's the last time a player has scored 4 goals on Ottawa in a single game, let alone a rookie playing his first NHL game?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Just to clarify...

It's unfortunate that Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid never got to play Ottawa in their career, imagine how many goals they would have scored. I just can't seem to understand how every game those guys play, every team has amazing defence. It's almost like they play in a different league.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Scoring 4 goals against the senators is no big task

I wonder how many more players will score 4 against the senators this year, my money would be on 0 . Crosby has never scored 4 goals in a game period, think about that. Why are people having such a hard time accepting the kid had a good game. No ones out here saying he's the best of all time, greatest goal scorer ever, or that this is sustainable. Just give him respect where respect is due. I will be watching very carefully to see how many other players score 4 when playing the sens since it's "no big task"

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Well lets see all the other high profile rookies and 2nd years score 4 goals against the next ****** team they face. Wonder how often it's going to happen this year.

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
When's the last time a player has scored 4 goals on Ottawa in a single game, let alone a rookie playing his first NHL game?

I went to a game in 2010 where vanek scored 4 against Ottawa. Also Franzen I think scored 5 against us in 2011 I wanna say....all on home ice too :shakehead

Full credit to Matthews, he was dominant. Anyone trying to take away the 4 goals because it was 'Ottawa' is a moron and just salty that he's not on their team. This is coming from a sens fan.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I went to a game in 2010 where vanek scored 4 against Ottawa. Also Franzen I think scored 5 against us in 2011 I wanna say....all on home ice too :shakehead

Full credit to Matthews, he was dominant. Anyone trying to take away the 4 goals because it was 'Ottawa' is a moron and just salty that he's not on their team. This is coming from a sens fan.

That's right! Franzen always seemed to go beast mode against Ottawa for some reason.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Why are so many trying to downplay that incredible performance?
The kid is good, pretending otherwise won't change that.

Not that I want to take steam away from his amazing feat, but remember the 8 point night from Gagner and the 5 assists in one game from RNH in his rookie season? These feats happen and, yes they are amazing, but you have to remember that was 1 game. If he can score on a consistent basis then there wouldn't be people playing down this feat.

I for one am amazed and happy for him, but I don't expect him to do it all the time. In fact, I'd be VERY surprised and amazed if he did this more than once a year. I feel the same way with McDavid. It's just cautious optimism in case the player lets you down.

Steven1562

May 13, 2013
Only goal i could call bad defense was the 3rd goal. Leaving him alone in front after he just had 2 goals was not good.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If he can play against people who defend like Karlsson does every night, yes. Easily. Unfortunately he'll be going against much better D-corps than what Ottawa has to offer.

Probably around 40.

Lol, the same Karlsson who took Matthews to school in OT and finished with 3 points +3. Oh I wish we have more of these games where Matthews scores only 1 goal against EK and Karlsson drives the game winner with Matthews on.

Matthews had an excellent night but this is why everyone hates Leaf fans, you guys also taking this time to bash the best defender in the league when he too had an excellent night.

There's a reason why your team lost, and that reason is Erik Karlsson. Easily.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ironically i think Marner and Nylander looked better. Crazy to think.

Leafs are going to be a very hard to contain team this year.

Three well balanced scoring lines. Quite the change from the blatant tank move of having Grabner on a scoring line last season

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I hate the leafs as much as the next guy...but lets not downplay that the kid scored 4 goals on an NHL team, in his first NHL game.

He's probably never going to score 4 goals in a game again as it happens so rarely...but you cant put an asterisks beside it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad