The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
NHA turned into the NHL so it's not the same.

I haven't followed this thread, but we we talking about Joe Malone and Harry Hyland? Yes, they were like 27 years old and played in previous version of NHL. Matthews is the first actual rookie to score 4 goals in his NHL debut.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It's unfortunate that Crosby or McDavid never got to play Ottawa in their careers. Imagine their point totals if they didn't miss every single game with bad defences!

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't followed this thread, but we we talking about Joe Malone and Harry Hyland? Yes, they were like 27 years old and played in previous version of NHL. Matthews is the first actual rookie to score 4 goals in his NHL debut.

Long story short yes we are. Hes comparing it to playing in other pro leagues but the NHA turned into the NHL. I believe all players left the NHA to form the NHL because they disliked the Toronto owner and wanted him out (a previous Toronto franchise). I'm too lazy to look it up :laugh:

Same reason Habs have 24 Cups and celebrated 100 years in 2009. They don't have 24 NHL titles, some were in the NHA and the NHL's 100th year is this year and not when the Habs celebrated theirs.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I have a bold prediction. He chokes the rest of the season and ends with a mere 9 goals. Every player gets lucky sometimes.

This is my feeling as well, only to a lesser degree.

I'd say it's more likely he finishes with around 25 goals as opposed to him having some legendary 50 in 50 season.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
What a game. He might not duplicate that in his entire career. Then again, he just might.

TT > 54k page views

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
I didn't read the thread, but let me guess, are here any posters who downplay his goals because of Ottawa's bad defence? :laugh: I bet my 500 vCash that the answer is yes.

I can't wait for the Leafs home game. I also think that the Leafs are going to surprise this season.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You could call it luck if a few of his goals were of the garbage variety or random deflections or easy rebounds. Instead all of them were shot directly into the net and one was Jagr circa 1992 vs Chicago style. Let's be real here.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Oilers have had a half decade of 1st overalls and are still the Oilers.

Leafs.... still the Leafs. :laugh:

Oilers never had McDavid before 2015. Leafs didn't have Matthews before 2016.

Crosby's Penguins sucked after they drafted him as well.

Was this game a microcosm of the leafs soon to come season? Mathews does all the work but it's not enough to get the wins

Matthews wasn't the only one doing all the work. Nylander and Marner just as impressive. Leafs will be atleast 12-15 points better than they were last season. Even for a 30th place team, they almost had 70 points...top 15 possession team.

Esko

Sep 23, 2015
Toews

blackhawks-mural.jpg

That looks like bearmanpig (aka Tyler Kennedy) more so than Toews..

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
Oilers have had a half decade of 1st overalls and are still the Oilers.

Leafs.... still the Leafs. :laugh:

Oilers never had Babcock and Leafs management to groom them either. I guarantee a couple of those 1st round picks wouldn't have been in the NHL right out of the gate (namely Yakupov and RNH). I am also a big believer in Babcock obviously.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
This is my feeling as well, only to a lesser degree.

I'd say it's more likely he finishes with around 25 goals as opposed to him having some legendary 50 in 50 season.

Hmm no one is expecting him to get 50, people are just joking around. Stop taking things to serious.. If he gets 25 goals and around 60 points in his rookie year i will be a very happy leafs fan!

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Awesome night for Matthews. He and McDavid are the future of the NHL for sure.

That said, SOME Leaf fans need to temper expectations. He's a rookie, and will have some tough learning games and cold streaks still.

I predict 60 points if healthy all year, which is still amazing.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
You could call it luck if a few of his goals were of the garbage variety or random deflections or easy rebounds. Instead all of them were shot directly into the net and one was Jagr circa 1992 vs Chicago style. Let's be real here.

No one's saying random deflections, but 2 of them were shot into an absolutely gaping net and 3 featured really good plays by other leaf teammates who aren't being recognized.

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Oilers never had McDavid before 2015. Leafs didn't have Matthews before 2016.

Crosby's Penguins sucked after they drafted him as well.

Matthews wasn't the only one doing all the work. Nylander and Marner just as impressive. Leafs will be atleast 12-15 points better than they were last season. Even for a 30th place team, they almost had 70 points...top 15 possession team.

Totally agree... the possession though I wouldn't read into. Probably more of a product of Babcock forcing it into the system than the leafs deserving more points. They rightfully deserved to come dead last in the league last year, they had the worst roster.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
No one's saying random deflections, but 2 of them were shot into an absolutely gaping net and 3 featured really good plays by other leaf teammates who aren't being recognized.

I hear you but the moral of the story was he put on a dominant performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad