The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

puckluck33*

May 17, 2015
Scoring goals means nothing if you don't win look at Ovechkin and Kovalchuk they have scored more goals than Matthews ever will and have won nothing,they are losers just like Matthews.

Leafski

Jun 29, 2011
Scoring goals means nothing if you don't win look at Ovechkin and Kovalchuk they have scored more goals than Matthews ever will and have won nothing,they are losers just like Matthews.

What exactly is the point of this? B8?

sayheykid

Jun 12, 2010

If the Leafs win their next two games does he become a winner, or is he branded for life?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
As much as Auston blames himself there for the loss, you've got to give him credit for taking them to OT in the first place. Carried the team on his back to an overtime loss in a 5-4 game.

Agreed. Good character out of him, you can tell winning matters more. Future captain for you guys for sure.

TOR fans have every right to feel proud about this kid, he's a phenomenal talent.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
It's always good to see guys play good hockey but it seems every couple of seasons we see a kid walk into the league and have a good game or two then HF explodes and starts making ridiculous comparisons.

Lets let the kid get a few games under his belt before we're going to claim he's a generational talent...

If it matters - I think he will be a superstar but still.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Auston Matthews is the #1 topic on Reddit right now. That's pretty amazing...most of reddit is American.

CelticPride

Jan 12, 2015
Seems like not many people are talking about Nylanders game, look at his skill on the first goal, nice moves to get around his man, centers the puck to matthews who nearly scored, Hyman picked up lose puck brought around net and got a nice pass to Matthews and buried it, great effort by that line, 2nd one was a great individual effort, that's what happens if you wanna play a number 1 pick like Matthews softly. That 3rd line was on fire, wold be nice if they keep it up. The veteran guys for Toronto though...it is one game but when have a 19 year old scoring 4, you gotta give a better effort.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Auston Matthews is the #1 topic on Reddit right now. That's pretty amazing...most of reddit is American.

Yeah and it almost has around 9000 up votes. That's crazy, I've never seen that many up votes on a hockey topic let alone any other sports topic. NHL should market the **** out of Matthews.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It's always good to see guys play good hockey but it seems every couple of seasons we see a kid walk into the league and have a good game or two then HF explodes and starts making ridiculous comparisons.

Lets let the kid get a few games under his belt before we're going to claim he's a generational talent...

If it matters - I think he will be a superstar but still.

We see fans get carried away all the time but at least this time it's warranted with a historic event. It's not one of those things a kid does every couple of seasons. Lets just enjoy it and even get carried away; it's in all part of just enjoying this moment, which will temper down in a week or so. It's also causing hockey to be in the limelight in the states; it's good for the game.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Seems like not many people are talking about Nylanders game, look at his skill on the first goal, nice moves to get around his man, centers the puck to matthews who nearly scored, Hyman picked up lose puck brought around net and got a nice pass to Matthews and buried it, great effort by that line, 2nd one was a great individual effort, that's what happens if you wanna play a number 1 pick like Matthews softly. That 3rd line was on fire, wold be nice if they keep it up. The veteran guys for Toronto though...it is one game but when have a 19 year old scoring 4, you gotta give a better effort.

Nylander was great, I thought Marner was better than Matthews after the 1st, even though he scored 2 goals. TBH, I think Hyman is probably the most understated rookie of that game. You hear people mention Marner and Nylander, but Hyman was a work horse who complemented that line well.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
Yeah and it almost has around 9000 up votes. That's crazy, I've never seen that many up votes on a hockey topic let alone any other sports topic. NHL should market the **** out of Matthews.

Drinking bird owned by Leaf fan.
LQxThih.gif

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I thought that Matthews playing in Canadian market, albeit a massive market, would limit his impact within the American sports media and fan landscape. I am pleasantly shocked at the reaction.

I've been watching hockey for 40 years, and I can't recall a major U.S. network ever adding an NHL broadcast at the last minute, let alone to cover an American born hockey player playing in a Canadian market.

He warrants the attention after his extraordinary debut, I just hope that expectations aren't unrealistic for him at this point.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I thought that Matthews playing in Canadian market, albeit a massive market, would limit his impact within the American sports media and fan landscape. I am pleasantly shocked at the reaction.

I've been watching hockey for 40 years, and I can't recall a major U.S. network ever adding an NHL broadcast at the last minute, let alone to cover an American born hockey player playing in a Canadian market.

He warrants the attention after his extraordinary debut, I just hope that expectations aren't unrealistic for him at this point.

That's what happens when you break records in your 1st NHL game

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
It's nice to see the best American player playing in a Canadian city for a change. Good for you Leafs, you lucky SOB's.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
All eyes will be on game 2...pressure's going to be unreal!

I think he has another big game in him, maybe not 4 goals but that bruins D is awful and, that's before the injuries.

Bergeron might also be out

If he doesn't have to deal with Bergeron that's going to make thing much easier on him

I think we can take this one.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Trade Ovechkin for Colton Orr ? Both are losers and haven't won anything, seems fair.

Why so salty ?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Are you sure? What are the winning lottery numbers for tonight?

Stuckinthe2ndround*

Glad to see some excitement coming from Toronto fans. Obviously, there will be haters, but I think the team is heading in the right direction now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad