The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

delled

Oct 3, 2009
Forsberg was one of my fave players of all time so I had the pleasure of watching the Nordiques for a long time. Prior to him arriving, Sakic was such a beautiful player to witness. You knew you were watching a ****** team wiith Quebec back then, but Sakic always gave a ****, trying hard like a *******. What I'm saying is kudos to players that play hard when they know they are playing for a **** team.

I've seen Tavares do it for freakn 5 years. Full commitment and pride to their team. I see Toronto doing really bad this year, but Auston will always expect more of himself. You know Toronto is gonna be **** this year and Matthews is gonna be pissed. That's how you raise champions. How does one peform under seige? When I see him pissed over his teams performance over a pres-season game, I know he is a thoroughbred.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Matthews always looks like a complete player. He's a beauty.
I think the Leafs will be better, but still need time.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think Mathews will score more goals than some of his age group peers (Gaudreu, McDavid, Eichel, Larkin, etc.). Positionally he seems really smart and good positioning will lead to goals.

Not more points mind you, but more goals.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
He's a human being, so at some point, the Toronto pressure cooker will likely destroy him, as it did with Sendin, Phaneuf, Kessel etc. It's a no-win situation for a player. I mean, there were already actual articles and reports dedicated to him breaking glass in a practice, and he ALREADY seemed annoyed by that....the season hasn't even started yet.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Can see him turning out to be a nice JP-Dumont clone for the Leafs.

You guys really got yourself a good one.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He's great, will be a top 10 player, maybe top 5. That team has a long way to go though, it's small, its defense corps is not good and goaltending we don't if Andersen is a legit #1.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's a human being, so at some point, the Toronto pressure cooker will likely destroy him, as it did with Sendin, Phaneuf, Kessel etc. It's a no-win situation for a player. I mean, there were already actual articles and reports dedicated to him breaking glass in a practice, and he ALREADY seemed annoyed by that....the season hasn't even started yet.

Sundin loved playing in Toronto. He loved it so much he refused to waive his NTC for a chance at a cup. Kessel and Phaneuf both signed long-term extensions.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Except all three stayed longterm when they had chances to leave. Swing and a miss.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Except all three stayed longterm when they had chances to leave. Swing and a miss.

Where did they end up and why is the real question.

It's a fact that the Toronto media/fandom is sensational and over-the-top. Every single play or comment is deconstructed publicly, ad nauseum. Not player-friendly at all.

Hictor Vedman*

Unregistered Hedman
Sep 30, 2014
Ottawa
Sometimes I wonder how many of the people around here actually grew up and were able to watch Joe Sakic play.

Maybe then the comparisons would die off.

Nah, probably not. People love making insane comparisons.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't want to believe it until I saw that Matthews has never been held scoreless in a regular season game.

Blew my mind!

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
could youtube please stop reminding me about Mathews pre season goal videos? :laugh:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Sometimes I wonder how many of the people around here actually grew up and were able to watch Joe Sakic play.

Maybe then the comparisons would die off.

Nah, probably not. People love making insane comparisons.

It's a little overboard to call it an "Insane" comparison.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad