The Legendary Auston Matthews Thread!

Savardian Spinorama

Mar 29, 2011
Chicago
What a fantastic player. A complete game changer and appears to have the right attitude to go with it. Going to have to add more Leaf games to my watchlist.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
As a Sens fan, of course he had that type of game against Ottawa. He turned me into a fan, though. And conducted himself very well. Very impressive debut all around.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Great memorable night. One of those nights where everything was just going in. But Ottawa was basically a bunch of pylons all night. Some of the worst defense I'd seen in a long time. No one showed up and coasted all night. How they even manged to score 5 and win goes to show you on the other end how bad Toronto is right now. It's a work in progress though and they will get better. Baby steps.

We'll see how he does against tough teams and teams who actually work hard and compete. He'll never have an easier night like that again.

Well, if you have Karlsson on the other side, you're most likely going to get scored on.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Well, if you have Karlsson on the other side, you're most likely going to get scored on.

I'm pretty sure he was only on the ice for one goal against and on the ice for 4 goals for so nice try but I don't really think Erik Karlsson is to blame for Matthews 4 goal night. If you're saying that Erik Karlsson is likely to score on you, that would be more correct because he had a 3 point night including setting up the OT winner.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

Scores 4 goals, loses the game, welcome to Toronto! Demoralizing.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
You could tell he didn't celebrate too hard after the 2nd or 4th cause he was really just thinking, "well, it's just Ottawa".

I remember watching the TSN broadcast the night before and them talking about how well structured Guy Boucher teams are, about how they emphasize clearing the zone..... Then I remembered that he's never coached an NHL team that's been outside the bottom 10(worst 10) in goals against. More of a fun point, not a knock on Matthews. He put the team on his back on a night where the expected performers looked downright lethargic.

The kids and Rielly(who I am going to refer to as not a kid at his advanced age of 22) looked like they had some jump. Marner was left pointless(I think) but played excellent, the rest left their mark on the scoresheet.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
You could tell he didn't celebrate too hard after the 2nd or 4th cause he was really just thinking, "well, it's just Ottawa".

I remember watching the TSN broadcast the night before and them talking about how well structured Guy Boucher teams are, about how they emphasize clearing the zone..... Then I remembered that he's never coached an NHL team that's been outside the bottom 10(worst 10) in goals against. More of a fun point, not a knock on Matthews. He put the team on his back on a night where the expected performers looked downright lethargic.

The kids and Rielly(who I am going to refer to as not a kid at his advanced age of 22) looked like they had some jump. Marner was left pointless(I think) but played excellent, the rest left their mark on the scoresheet.

You do know Ottawa won the game right? If Matthews was truly thinking "it's just Ottawa" then he has a lot to learn. I'm pretty sure he just didn't want to gloat, which I think shows a lot of maturity and composure for his age. I think that Matthews has a great head and a great mindset for hockey.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The crazy thing is he didn't celebrate his 4th goal. A 19 year old rookie sets an NHL record in his first game and doesn't celebrate it... what a player we have here.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
You do know Ottawa won the game right? If Matthews was truly thinking "it's just Ottawa" then he has a lot to learn. I'm pretty sure he just didn't want to gloat, which I think shows a lot of maturity and composure for his age. I think that Matthews has a great head and a great mindset for hockey.

My point was that Ottawa gives up a lot of goals, and also that they hired a coach that has historically given up a lot of goals in this league. The "just Ottawa" part was sarcasm that I used to bring up the horrible pandering TSN was doing just before the season. Not the place for that discussion I suppose.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
The crazy thing is he didn't celebrate his 4th goal. A 19 year old rookie sets an NHL record in his first game and doesn't celebrate it... what a player we have here.

After how the NHL community erupted after Hertl and Yakupov's notable celebrations, this kid has to be their dream come true.. I'm all for personality in the league, and I don't think Matthews lacks it, he's just very humble(from my viewings at least).

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

First of all, I wouldn't be proud of winning that game :laugh: to me it showed that Ottawa's defence still needs a LOT of work (and so does the Leafs)

That being said, I think you're bang on about why he didn't celebrate. The reason he didn't gloat is the exact same reason why he took responsibility for the OT goal against - he's a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders. He really screams leadership role and captain potential to me

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
First of all, I wouldn't be proud of winning that game :laugh: to me it showed that Ottawa's defence still needs a LOT of work (and so does the Leafs)

That being said, I think you're bang on about why he didn't celebrate. The reason he didn't gloat is the exact same reason why he took responsibility for the OT goal against - he's a mature kid with a good head on his shoulders. He really screams leadership role and captain potential to me

Meh, a lot of those goals were just a simple matter of picking up your man, I'm not too worried yet.

But back on topic I agree Matthews definitely has future captain potential and he earned a lot of respect from me that night. I hate liking a Leaf player.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That really was an amazing performance, but to me the fact that they lost the game puts a damper on it.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
That really was an amazing performance, but to me the fact that they lost the game puts a damper on it.

You could tell it did for him too. The two points were really important to Matthews.

Only the first game of the season though, but not a great Start for a number of Leaf players.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

You could tell it did for him too. The two points were really important to Matthews.

Only the first game of the season though, but not a great Start for a number of Leaf players.

To be fair to Matthews and the Leafs, Karlsson was unbelievable in OT, not much anyone can do there.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
To be fair to Matthews and the Leafs, Karlsson was unbelievable in OT, not much anyone can do there.

Part of me wishes Babcock didn't put the group out that he did to start the OT. One situation where Matthews doesn't have the experience in to go up against one of the best in the world. Definitely something to learn from. Don't chase one of the best skaters in the league behind the net in a 3 on 3 situation.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Part of me wishes Babcock didn't put the group out that he did to start the OT. One situation where Matthews doesn't have the experience in to go up against one of the best in the world. Definitely something to learn from. Don't chase one of the best skaters in the league behind the net in a 3 on 3 situation.

Like you said, he will learn and gain experience. I thought overall he had some pretty good decision making the whole game and was very smart all over the ice, was very fast to loose pucks and won a lot of battles 1 on 1, very impressed with his game. The only thing he did wrong like you said is he was too agressive on the 3 on 3 OT. Aside from that, and he will learn, he was very good.

Might have been a good idea to start some more experienced players in OT, the Leafs have some good one. Side topic, very impressed in Nylander, picked him in 2 different fantasy drafts this year and pretty happy.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
After how the NHL community erupted after Hertl and Yakupov's notable celebrations, this kid has to be their dream come true.. I'm all for personality in the league, and I don't think Matthews lacks it, he's just very humble(from my viewings at least).

Yeah I totally agree. He's got character for sure, however I think when you are as good as him and others im not going to mention you just naturally are that humble and confident, it would be odd if they weren't.

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
Are you worried about the future having the leafs in your division?

zJa8kX.gif

thanks for the chuckle.

This thread has been painful to get through.

The leafs have a good player, let it go.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I'm not a Leafer but I'm jealous that they've finally turned the corner; Matthews is amazing and likely anchoring centre position for the next 15 years.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
As much as Auston blames himself there for the loss, you've got to give him credit for taking them to OT in the first place. Carried the team on his back to an overtime loss in a 5-4 game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad