Value of: The guy you're terrified of trading?

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Your hot takes just keep on coming. This is almost as bad as Eriksson Ek > Eichel

It's not a hot take. Your comment proves you don't know anything about Brodin or wild

Brodin is a legit stud shutdown d that any team would want then has added scoring to his body of work thus year.

It's almost like that you are so casual, & attack me regarding Brodin while proving you are just casual

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'm terrified of trading either Matt Boldy or Marco Rossi....and I have a feeling that at least one of them will be dealt to upgrade the center position.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I can comment on whatever I choose.... last time I checked this is the main boards.

If Monahan can't produce with one of the better offensive wingers glued to his side, while getting first unit PP time, then what makes you think he's going to do better elsewhere.
Monahan can easily turn it around and become a PPG player elsewhere. If Flames fans say they are terrified trading him away then so be it. Has size, grit, faceoffs and can score. Better skillset than Nuge for sure.

Reactions: banks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I would love to saddle Calgary, Montreal or Toronto with Kassian's $3.2 million per
And this pissed off 3.2M player can take out the 12.5M player with a cheapshot playing on a Cali team or Seattle. Like i said its not because he could burn us offensively but physically.
Was glad Lucic got traded away but was scared he could injure our players. So far he has been an Oilers fan at heart so no bad blood. But its a risk for sure.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It's not a hot take. Your comment proves you don't know anything about Brodin or wild

Brodin is a legit stud shutdown d that any team would want then has added scoring to his body of work thus year.

It's almost like that you are so casual, & attack me regarding Brodin while proving you are just casual

.......... What?

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
And this pissed off 3.2M player can take out the 12.5M player with a cheapshot playing on a Cali team or Seattle. Like i said its not because he could burn us offensively but physically.
Was glad Lucic got traded away but was scared he could injure our players. So far he has been an Oilers fan at heart so no bad blood. But its a risk for sure.

I don’t see Kassian doing anything like that. My main criticism of him is his seemingly lack of engagement I’ve witness of him. That playoff 2017 Kassian seems long gone. You can get a physical presence/nuclear deterrent for a lot less than $3.2 million. If he was signed sub $2 million I’d be more on board with keeping him.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Timo Meier. Put him with an elite center and it’s probably another Spezza-Heatley/ Thornton-Cheechoo situation
Is there one coming in in the near future for the Sharks? Maybe Bordeleau but not before a year or two. And elite might be pushing it. I would love to see the Sharks get another top centre to play with him.

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
I think Drouin in an offensive role with a goal scorer could put up 70 points. Guy has all the skill in the world but hasn't been able to put it together and confidence is at an all time low. I think coming to MTL was the worst decision for his career.

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I hope Chevy doesn't cave in and trade Ville Heinola for a top-pairing D-man, because the kid is absolutely going to be a stud top-pairing D-man real soon. We still need a rightie tho.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I would've said Bennett, but.... Hanifin.

Yeah, it was Bennett for sure. You can see why he was so polarizing on our board with his play in Florida so far.

Now it's 100% Hanifin. There are people on our board that throw him into every trade like he's an easily replaced commodity. Guy's been Calgary's best defender all year along with Tanev... plus you see the additional upside.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Bet you doubted Bennett too
Admittedly I would have never predicted Bennett to do what he has done - how many would have? I actually talked Bennett up when he was drafted (check out my post history if you doubt me) but obviously my perspective changed on him as his career progressed. I would have said he is nothing more than a good 3C at best but now I think he could be 2C.
I valued Bennett’s game... but he was never given a long time look playing with better line mates... Monahan on the other hand has had every opportunity - playing with Gaudreau and getting 1st unit PP time for almost his entire career. I don’t value Monahan’s game and I don’t think he will take his game to another level playing elsewhere.

Yes, I am an Oiler fan but I do not knock all Calgary Flames players. In fact, Jarome Iginla was one of my favourite players of all time.

Current Flames players I do value are; Gaudreau, Lindholm, Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube, Valamaki and even Tkachuk (that kills me to say).

EDIT: Totally missed Tanev as another current Flame that I value.

Last edited:

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Monahan can easily turn it around and become a PPG player elsewhere. If Flames fans say they are terrified trading him away then so be it. Has size, grit, faceoffs and can score. Better skillset than Nuge for sure.

The only way Monahan is going to be a PPG player again is if scoring in the league increases, or the Rangers trade for Kane and Monahan… And then have Monahan centre both Kane and Panarin.

Nuge is actually a good comparison for Monahan… Both players are OK, they are what they are, but they’ll never be considered a great player. Monahan is better on the draw than Nuge… But in no way should Monahan be considered a gritty player... not sure where you get that from. Nuge has a better 200 foot game and a better shot. Believe me I don’t go “bragging” about Nuge’s game either.

For such a gritty player, here’s Monahans’s first NHL fight which occurred last year... he sure picked a tough guy...

Sean Monahan vs Ryan Nugent Hopkins Jan 29, 2020

I just don’t see Monahan getting a better opportunity than he has been given by the Flames... playing with one of the better offensive producing wingers and 1st unit PP.

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Jonathan Toews

Organizationally, the development year without him went well. There's likely been a shift across the team in philosophy by buying into Jeremy Colliton's system.

I don't know that Toews philosophy on how the TOP SIX should be played will be in agreement.

Toews numbers last season say he IS STILL TOP SIX, missing this entire year... The organization is not sure what he is going forward. And whose going to trade for a player with his concussion concerns? Maybe, somebody after all Bowman brought Shaw back to retire him a year later for concussion related health issues.

So, looks like this could go into another late start for Toews in 2021-22 until he makes up his mind if he will play. And Chicago may no longer be the best option for Jonathan Toews.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Admittedly I would have never predicted Bennett to do what he has done - how many would have? I actually talked Bennett up when he was drafted (check out my post history if you doubt me) but obviously my perspective changed on him as his career progressed. I would have said he is nothing more than a good 3C at best but now I think he could be 2C.
I valued Bennett’s game... but he was never given a long time look playing with better line mates... Monahan on the other hand has had every opportunity - playing with Gaudreau and getting 1st unit PP time for almost his entire career. I don’t value Monahan’s game and I don’t think he will take his game to another level playing elsewhere.

Yes, I am an Oiler fan but I do not knock all Calgary Flames players. In fact, Jarome Iginla was one of my favourite players of all time.

Current Flames players I do value are; Gaudreau, Lindholm, Backlund, Mangiapane, Dube, Valamaki and even Tkachuk (that kills me to say).
I don't think this post is unfair at all. I'd agree with your list, but I'd replace Valimaki with Hanifin. Valimaki looked unreal outside the NHL, but so far he has resembled the dumpster fire that has burned in Edmonton since 1962.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
The only way Monahan is going to be a PPG player again is if scoring in the league increases, or the Rangers trade for Kane and Monahan… And then have Monahan centre both Kane and Panarin.

Nuge is actually a good comparison for Monahan… Both players are OK, they are what they are, but they’ll never be considered a great player. Monahan is better on the draw than Nuge… But in no way should Monahan be considered a gritty player... not sure where you get that from. Nuge has a better 200 foot game and a better shot. Believe me I don’t go “bragging” about Nuge’s game either.

For such a gritty player, here’s Monahans’s first NHL fight which occurred last year... he sure picked a tough guy...

Sean Monahan vs Ryan Nugent Hopkins Jan 29, 2020

I just don’t see Monahan getting a better opportunity than he has been given by the Flames... playing with one of the better offensive producing wingers and 1st unit PP.
Partly true. RNH is definitely a better defensive player, but I don't know how anyone could think he has a better shot when Monahan doesn't have a wrist and hip injury. I wouldn't call Monahan gritty either, that said, he does play through a lot of injuries that would sideline 95% of players. Perhaps to his detriment.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Partly true. RNH is definitely a better defensive player, but I don't know how anyone could think he has a better shot when Monahan doesn't have a wrist and hip injury. I wouldn't call Monahan gritty either, that said, he does play through a lot of injuries that would sideline 95% of players. Perhaps to his detriment.
Monohan is definitely poised for a comeback. Whether he will or not is debatable, but I have a lot more sympathy for him now that I know his timid play was maybe due to playing through injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad