Value of: The guy you're terrified of trading?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think it's very unlikely, but I don't think Kakko is an instant no-go if the return is good enough. That scares me.

His scoring doesn't jump off the page but he put up outstanding underlying metrics and has a case to be top 10 for the Selke at 20 years old.

Somebody mentioned Mark Stone the other day and I was just like "....yeah, I see that."

Stone wasn't a full-time NHL player until his 23 YO season. Maybe Kakko isn't as "ready" as people thought but who cares? In that two-way power forward mold, he's ahead of where most guys were.
Kakko is going to be like Marian hossa. He’s already got the defensive side of the game Down and he’s still just a puppy. The points will come as he matures a little bit and he gets more comfortable making moves in the offensive zone. Kids still a puppy for god sakes, doesn’t even have his man strength yet. He’s going to make those that think he’s a bust eat a lot of crow

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hah
In particular Lundkvist, Robertson, Schneider, Jones

I have zero doubt of any of these guys being good NHL D. More then likely in their careers they will be Top 4 D or better in the NHL.. what’s scary is each and every one can be a top 2-3 D. Right now those 4 guys are fighting for 2 spots. I have no doubt we are trading 1 but more then likely 2. It makes me physically sick to lose 1 because as a NYR fan we have lacked top end talent on D forever.

if Jones turns into the next fox or similar player in the mold of fox- enough said

Schneider 6”3-6”4 with at mean streak at one 215 lbs and has untapped offensive potential. Can be looking at trading a beast.

Robertson is another big boy at 6”4 over 200. He’s going to be a shutdown monster. Positionally sound and gets physical when he needs to. Moves the puck well. My comp would be maybe a lil meaner version of Marc Staal with better offensive if he hits max potential. Staal was elite shutting down OVI and Crosby in the playoffs for year until injuries killed his career.

Lundkvist another all around excellent D that has Top pairing upside. Has a laser beam for a shot and is an excellent Defender. Fresh off a record setting season against men.
That's… high expectations.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Mantha was probably the best answer for Detroit for the longest time

Now I'd say it is probably..... Svechnikov? But honestly at this point I think we'd all just be happy to see him finally thrive in the NHL

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
That's… high expectations.
Yea it’s honestly pretty crazy to see. I never thought the rangers would have a stable of defensemen in my lifetime since the Zubov Leetch Beukaboom era in 92-95.
The guys we have drafted have either exceeded all expectations or progressed far better then I ever thought they would
Schneider and Robertson have exceeded expectations, both have had a great year of progress to their development and could realistically be in the NHL as soon as next season if it wasn’t for the logjam.
Lundkvist has broken all kinds of records as a kid in the SHL, he’s also the oldest of all the prospects so odds are he will get the nod on the rangers 3rd pairing
Jones went from winning the championship in college straight to the rangers blue line. He didn’t look out of place one bit. Some of the passes he made were unreal. And this is a kid who moved from FWD to D not too long ago. Just like Miller who had a Very good season playing top 4 minutes as a rookie next to trouba. They both made some rookie mistakes, but that’s to be expected. It’s my theory they were showcasing Jones at the end of the Year because Fox, Lundkvist and Jones all have similar size and skill sets.
Lindgren is a savage, and should have a letter pinned to his chest. He does everything you want a physical D to do. He’s a little undersized but has great chemistry with Fox and is still improving himself. Can’t believe we got him in the Nash trade.
Best for last is Fox. The best rangers D to put on the jersey since the great Brian Leetch and I don’t say thAt lightly. The kid is a rock defensively, doesn’t take penalties and is a wizard with the puck. So cerebral. He should win the Norris as a rookie as crazy as it sounds. I fully expect Hedman to win with it being somewhat of a popularity contest and his team is in the playoffs. But not just being a Homer but fox deserves it with the way he played this year. He could have 10-15 more points if some of his teammates had a better finish to their game. He was playing 30 minutes a game for it seemed like all year and never lost a beat. Thank god he was born in NY and wanted to come home to play.
Like I said the stable of prospects and young players the rangers have accumulated in such a short time is pretty remarkable. They have all exceeded expectations of where I thought they’d be right now. The flip side to that is we don’t have enough spots. That’s the part that sucks balls. At most we can juggle guys for a year or so but sooner or later a few of these guys are going to get traded. And the teams that get them are going to be more then happy. I can already see the posts now, can’t believe rangers traded this D for that guy, blah blah blah. NYR is going to have to start filling holes in their line up and some teams are going to receive great defensive prospects in return because it’s simple math, we can’t play them all

Last edited:

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Any of the top 20 or so Kings prospects from Vilardi down. I think have less problem trading the guys already in the NHL before Vilardi, except maybe Roy. Walker is another player I’d like to give more time to if possible.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yea it’s honestly pretty crazy to see. I never thought the rangers would have a stable of defensemen in my lifetime since the Zubov Leetch Beukaboom era in 92-95.
The guys we have drafted have either exceeded all expectations or progressed far better then I ever thought they would
Schneider and Robertson have exceeded expectations, both have had a great year of progress to their development and could realistically be in the NHL as soon as next season if it wasn’t for the logjam.
Lundkvist has broken all kinds of records as a kid in the SHL, he’s also the oldest of all the prospects so odds are he will get the nod on the rangers 3rd pairing
Jones went from winning the championship in college straight to the rangers blue line. He didn’t look out of place one bit. Some of the passes he made were unreal. And this is a kid who moved from FWD to D not too long ago. Just like Miller who had a Very good season playing top 4 minutes as a rookie next to trouba. They both made some rookie mistakes, but that’s to be expected. It’s my theory they were showcasing Jones at the end of the Year because Fox, Lundkvist and Jones all have similar size and skill sets.
l
They're great prospects but it's high expectations for a group of guys (Schneider, Robertson, Jones, Lundkvist) that have minimal track record at the pro level (apart from Lundkvist) and almost no NHL games.
Seriously doubt for example that Robertson could be a NHL player next season.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Turcotte.

The guy is a culture changer and has future "C" written all over him in addition to being just a full-bore high-pace player

I think he's gonna need his man strength to truly be a force because right now he's a reckless little crash test dummy but he's just so heart-and-soul and this franchise is f***ing gutless right now
Excited to see Turcotte in a Sabres jersey.

:D

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
From Boston it would have to be JDB. I dont think he would explode on a new team necessarily. But I would've hated to see him dealt at this last trade deadline while his value is so low.

Hes had a rough go during this COVID season but hes shown that he can be a 20-25 goal guy in this league. This just wasnt his year.

He's already off to a great start in the playoffs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Conor Timmins could turn into a solid middle pairing defenseman getting 25 points. I can't say I would be afraid of trading him but he's the closest thing Avs have of a guy that could be traded (since they have solid prospects in Helleson and Barron that might be ready to take the next step) that's rather good.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Excited to see Turcotte in a Sabres jersey.

:D

some-men-just-want-watch-the-world-burn.gif

Reactions: Team Cozens

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
Kind of under the radar, but Arturri Lehkonen for me. Always been a big fan of him, great defensive player and has some solid offensive abilities, but also has some of the worst puck luck you'll ever see. Always gets played in defensive roles so he doesn't have a chance to get as many scoring chances as he should. I just know that as soon as he's in a non-habs jersey, he'll get to his ceiling and find his scoring touch

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
Setting aside the implications of recent allegations (please let's not derail this), the possible loss of Virtanen was concerning. Feels like he could really put it together somewhere else - and that playing in his hometown is maybe one of his biggest hurdles. The thought of losing him to someone in the Division - and him dominating the Canucks thereafter - sounds awful.

Again, this was pre-allegations.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
They're great prospects but it's high expectations for a group of guys (Schneider, Robertson, Jones, Lundkvist) that have minimal track record at the pro level (apart from Lundkvist) and almost no NHL games.
Seriously doubt for example that Robertson could be a NHL player next season.
If miller can I have no doubt Robertson can. I expect him to Pass Miller on the depth chart on the left side very soon. He’s a hidden gem. Time will tell I guess. Schneider looked very good in his limited time in the AHL this past season as well. I’d expect both will get a heavy dose of top line minutes in Hartford to start next season. It’s not unheard of that the rangers would ice 2 rookies on their 3rd D pairing next year, but already being the youngest team in the league, they will most likely sign or trade for a vet like Ekholm for instance to line up next to Lundkvist and shoulder the burden for the Rookie.
I’m no way saying they are all going to come in and play like fox, that would be silly. I’m sure most, if not all of them will have the trials and tribulations of all other young rookies at the nhl level and hit the rookie wall so to speak but the future looks bright for these guys for sure

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
From Boston it would have to be JDB. I dont think he would explode on a new team necessarily. But I would've hated to see him dealt at this last trade deadline while his value is so low.

Hes had a rough go during this COVID season but hes shown that he can be a 20-25 goal guy in this league. This just wasnt his year.

He's already off to a great start in the playoffs.
Do you think the bruins deal him in the offseason for more cash to re-up Hall and Krecji?? I could see EDM going after Debrusk heavy to put on a line with Drai or McJesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad