Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
Best wishes Danny. Really thought and hoped you'd end your career with the Flyers, but some things are just not to be, and a dropping cap doth make a mockery of dreams!

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I say he signs with the Devils and for cheap ~2M to keep his kids in the same schools / neighborhood.

I will miss Danny B. but it is a mathematical certainty that he had to be bought out.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks for the 2010 run, Danny. That was when he was at his best, and that was my favourite time as a Flyer fan.

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
I say he signs with the Devils and for cheap ~2M to keep his kids in the same schools / neighborhood.

I will miss Danny B. but it is a mathematical certainty that he had to be bought out.

That would be really great, actually. Much as I don't want to see him in that uniform.

Evergreen

I think this was a necessary move given Danny's recent decline and our need to clear space under the cap. But I am sad to see Danny go. He is a fantastic person and was always exciting to watch, especially in the playoffs. I wish him success wherever he ends up...unless it's in Pittsburgh, in which case I hope he fails miserably. (not serious)

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
dwight-false-o.gif

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
I think this was a necessary move given Danny's recent decline and our need to clear space under the cap. But I am sad to see Danny go. He is a fantastic person and was always exciting to watch, especially in the playoffs. I wish him success wherever he ends up...unless it's in Pittsburgh, in which case I hope he fails miserably. (not serious)

While I understand how and why it has to be done (the buyout), I still think that Briere can be an effective scoring threat.

He put up 34 points in 24 games with Eisbären Berlin playing along side Giroux before the lockout but then he broke his wrist and once the NHL season started he was ailing and just never got going again as the season progressed...
Briere never was and never will be a balanced two way player but I would not rule him out being productive elsewhere till his late thirties if signed for reasonable money and used wisely in the matchups. I would still love to have him on the Flyers but just not at his cap hit... somewhere in the 2.5 - 3M range would reflect what he is worth right now.

JayB

May 30, 2012
He put up 34 points in 24 games with Eisbären Berlin playing along side Giroux before the lockout

I was always thinking how the hell he can play in Europe several weeks without his kids and so on. But he cannot give green light for transfer to nearby teams ? Nice for the team.Diva.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was always thinking how the hell he can play in Europe several weeks without his kids and so on. But he cannot give green light for transfer to nearby teams ? Nice for the team.Diva.

Idk if it was ever confirmed if Briere refused to waive his NTC or not, but even if it was, there is a big difference between playing in Europe for part of a year then going home ASAP and being traded and having to finish your career in a different area. These guys ask for these NTCs for a reason. You can't really be mad at them for not waiving.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Players get NTCs so they can have some control over their lives. He's done exactly what he meant to and now he can choose where he goes. A few weeks in Europe is not the same as a few years in a place far from his kids.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
The retool begins it will not end here expect there will be a few moves made.

The move that really needs to be done is firing Paul Holmgren as the Flyers G.M.
The Flyers should look outside their narrow box and hire a guy like assistant G.M. From Detroit Jim Nil. Nil knows how to work the salary cap, has a good drafting record, and understands how to build a good defense/goaltending.

Holmgren is a major league failure, and should be fired before the draft!

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
I agree that we need a new gm. I think if it did happen it would end up being Hextall since they like to have guys with ties to the organization. I would be fine with Hextall if Holmgren was fired

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The move that really needs to be done is firing Paul Holmgren as the Flyers G.M.
The Flyers should look outside their narrow box and hire a guy like assistant G.M. From Detroit Jim Nil. Nil knows how to work the salary cap, has a good drafting record, and understands how to build a good defense/goaltending.

Holmgren is a major league failure, and should be fired before the draft!

Nil was hired by Dallas as their GM back in April.

As an outside guy I wouldn't mind Brian Burke. I know he's an ***hole but he's a pretty good GM overall. Most will bring up the Kessel trade up but if you look at a lot of his other trades and moves he did really well. His son Patrick is a scout for us too so there's a little bit of connection.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Should've treated this whole shortened season like the playoffs and maybe we would've made them.

Briere's poor play was a big reason we missed the playoffs. He just wasn't interested in backchecking, covering his point or anything. F him. Good riddance, I've wanted him gone since March.....

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
According to Swiss newspapers, SC Bern could offer Danny Briere a 3-years/2M contract which he could accept since taxes are lower in Switzerland so it'll be like a 4M NHL contract

RJ8812*

I would laugh my ass off if he went to Switzerland. The guy was going to veto any trade this past deadline because he didnt want to move his kids, but then he goes and signs a deal to play in the Swiss league?

lawl

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Nil was hired by Dallas as their GM back in April.

As an outside guy I wouldn't mind Brian Burke. I know he's an ***hole but he's a pretty good GM overall. Most will bring up the Kessel trade up but if you look at a lot of his other trades and moves he did really well. His son Patrick is a scout for us too so there's a little bit of connection.

I want Hextall. He'd be a very good GM. He's doing a damn good job out in LA with Lombardi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad