Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Briere big picture:
6 seasons: 287 pts in 364 games or 0.77 pt/game. -13 total all last year (was even before).
Played in 68 playoff games (thats why he chose Phi instead of Mtl and probably other clubs btw as per many reports. Buf played 13 playoff games since he left and Mtl 46) and did even better with 72 pts.

Of course last years of a long contract are the worst but thanks whoever is responsible for that buyout opportunity!

He came in here as UFA. Nice addition to any roster at that time.

Was he ever a first-line guy with Philly or always a 2nd liner?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Briere big picture:
6 seasons: 287 pts in 364 games or 0.77 pt/game. -13 total all last year (was even before).
Played in 68 playoff games (thats why he chose Phi instead of Mtl and probably other clubs btw as per many reports. Buf played 13 playoff games since he left and Mtl 46) and did even better with 72 pts.

Of course last years of a long contract are the worst but thanks whoever is responsible for that buyout opportunity!

He came in here as UFA. Nice addition to any roster at that time.

Was he ever a first-line guy with Philly or always a 2nd liner?

He was linemates with Gagne and Knuble early on (the KGB Line); later with Hartnell and Vinnie Prospal but probably his most success was with Ville Leino and Hartnell. The notion of top line and second line was often dismissed internally but used randomly depending on the circumstance.

Last edited:

laforest

Jan 21, 2013
Philly
Found this on Youtube:

****ing perfect. I have no idea what this song is, but it is hilarious perfect for this buyout. I was going to put up a YouTube clip or a highlight or some video of a good thing we would remember him for (because he really was awesome even if he's a shell anymore). However, this clip forced its hand. I had to put it here.

Im gonna miss him :(

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
He was linemates with Gagne and Knuble early on (the KGB Line); later with Hartnell and Vinnie Prospal but probably his most success was with Ville Leino and Hartnell. The notion of top line and second line was often dismissed internally but used randomly depending on the circumstance.

Thanks.
A few interesting names in there:
Leino traded for Tolefsson and a fifth. Thank you very much.
Hartnell's rights and Timonen's for a 1st already obtained from the Preds for their Forsberg terrible experiment. Thank you very very much.
Knuble signed as free agent. Welcome
Prospal for Picard and a second. Ok with it. Good 3rd round pick.

This gm is far from perfect but he sure can shake it.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
Bitter sweet for me. As a fan, Briere was not cutting it and makes way too much. However, my girlfriend adored him and he really gave her something to latch on to when we started dating, really ushering her into a huge Flyers fans.

He was a great ambassador for the team, always the nicest guy to meet, great in the community...just had a welcoming presence. She even got a puck from him at pre-game skate, cementing her love for the franchise. Not sad to see the player go, sad to see the person go. Hope they bring him back for a farewell tour at a better cap hit like with Gagne.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'll miss him. He was my favorite player on the team, but I knew he had to go. Gotta find a new one now. Gonna wait until the season starts to see who I will go with. I'm leaning toward L. Schenn.

nuclear reactor

Apr 5, 2010
Briere was just one of many overpaid players given too many years when they already had plenty of centers and never truly lived up to his cap hit. Not his fault of course, but I can't say I'm feeling terrible to see that mistake go. IMO his mistake of a contract was the main issue for their cap problems all of these years.

Scottie Upshall fans hardest hit. As usual, all the hyperventilating about cap problems proved to be overblown. Briere was a useful player for years, and the instant he becomes inconvenient, his contract goes away. So, what was the problem all along?

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
Having started watching hockey consistently after the lockout in 04, safe to say Briere is my favorite player ever. He was a key piece of the best season I've ever seen the Flyers have. So many great memories. Gonna miss him. Shame it had to end like this

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
Briere was just one of many overpaid players given too many years when they already had plenty of centers and never truly lived up to his cap hit. Not his fault of course, but I can't say I'm feeling terrible to see that mistake go. IMO his mistake of a contract was the main issue for their cap problems all of these years.

Whoa. I agree he was a little overpaid up until this season when he became pretty much useless, but he was never an albatross on this team. I'd say he performed about as well as realistically anyone could have hoped for. Some people expected him to be a PPG player, but that was never going to happen. Given the playoff performances he's had and add in the leadership and character he brought, if given the choice I'd still sign him to that deal.

Your point about having too many centers is revisionist history. Its easy to see that now with Richards and Carter. But coming out of the 2007 season, there were legitimate questions whether either would develop into premier players. Entering that offseason, the Flyers not only didn't have a 1st line center, but really didn't have a 2nd line center either.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Even though this is a neccasery move its still gonna be a somber moment when it's made official. Briere has had so many big moments in the playoffs, especially 2010. Thanks for five and a half great seasons Danny.

99559154_std.jpg

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
^

When a team buys out a player’s contract, that player is not permitted to re-join that club for the duration of the season that follows the summer during which he was bought out. That means that a player bought out by the Flyers in 2013 cannot play for the Flyers during the 2013-14 season, and a player bought out by the Flyers in 2014 cannot play for the Flyers for the duration of the 2014-15 season.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/quick-guide-nhls-compliance-buyouts

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Now the question is, where does he sign? He probably doesn't want to move his kids around. Unfortunately, that would most likely put him in the division. :(

flyingsouth

Jun 29, 2011
Sydney
Such a shame to see things end this way, but between the cap situation and time catching up with up with him, it was almost inevitable.

All the best in the future, Danny. Just don't sign with the Pens, k?

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I can absolutely see him resurrecting his career with Pittsburgh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad