Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Reading his interview, he for sure will have a job with the organization when he is done as he says he 100% living in Philly when done !!

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Doesn't get much classier than that. Wish him and his family the best, and thank him for his 6 years with the Flyers.

RJ8812*

I guess it's just an agreement and he hasn't signed anything yet so I don't think it's illegal to discuss with other teams

it's not illegal if his current team gives him and his agent permission to do so

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Listened to an interview on WIP. Good interview-- still a great guy. Did state that the Flyers never came to him asking him to waive. Said this area is his home and where he goes he plans on coming back. This is home.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I hope whoever signs Danny to a price we wouldnt agree with, gets ripped apart like we were with the Streit signing. Relentless bashing for a player who has never played for us, yet

If anyone gives him an over 35 contract for $5 million a year for 4 years they will get ripped for it and deservedly so.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If anyone gives him an over 35 contract for $5 million a year for 4 years they will get ripped for it and deservedly so.

Except Streit has continued to produce and has just recently shown signs of slowing down. Briere on the other hand has more then showed signs of slowing down, surely you still remember how bad he's been. Can't really compare the two.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Briere had 8 GW goals in playoffs with #Flyers. That's No. 2 in team history, behind MacLeish (9).
Source: Sam Carchidi

Video content can be found here...

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/...goodbye-salutes-fans.html#56sCPAHLFDw0LQdC.99

Danny Briere says goodbye, salutes fans

POSTED: Thursday, June 20, 2013, 2:31 PM

Sam Carchidi, Inquirer Staff Writer

In an emotional news conference in Voorhees, Danny Briere said goodbye to the Flyers and fans on Thursday afternoon.

Briere said the fans made his six years with the Flyers "amazing," and that he will never forget the team's remarkable run to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2010. Briere led the way, setting a franchise playoff record with 30 points that spring.

The Flyers officially announced Thursday they were using a compliance buyout on Briere, though it has been the league's worst-kept secret.

"Wherever I end up, this is where I'm going to end up (living)," Briere said. "This is home."

He said he thinks he has two or three years left, and that his three boys will help him decide where his next destination will be. He will become an unrestricted free agent July 5.

"The last six years have been amazing," he said, adding he wanted to send the fans "a huge thank you."

As for his future, Briere, 35, said, "I have no regrets. I'm moving forward."

GM Paul Holmgren said he told Briere of the team's decision last week and called it a "very difficult decision. Danny has been a very good player for us over the past six years."

Holmgren called Briere a "tremendous player, person and role model in all aspects, and for that we thank him."

Briere's $6.5 million cap hit will go off the books 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Finals end.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I wonder if the lack of coverage surrounding Bryz means he is not going to be bought out. Thoughts?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
He'll be close to this area, so NYI, NYR, NJ, or WSH

Yeah that's my guess. Out of those, I'd like to see him on the Island because the Islanders are the team I hate the least out of all of those. Haha. In reality I'd like to see him go out West.

Coppy

Apr 30, 2011
I think the Islanders are a pretty good fit for him. Young team ready to take the next step up (similar to the Flyers when he signed here), need veteran leadership and some scoring depth.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I wonder if the lack of coverage surrounding Bryz means he is not going to be bought out. Thoughts?

I think the lack of coverage is a result of nobody knowing what's going to happen for sure and nothing more really. That wasn't the case with Briere. Sure there was/is the rumor that Bryz will be gone soon but there are conflicting reports. The same can't be said for Briere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad