Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
I am sad, but it was a great ride. Danny boy is a good dude in my book. Contract eventually bit us in the ass.

JohnnyOnTheSpot

I Believe in G-Sus
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia
Geez, JOTS, csnphilly.com or philly.com or flyers.nhl.com there are only three places any of these interviews show up, with courierpostonline.com once in a while.

That was helpful. I'm sorry, I'll never ask to a link to a referenced article again someone just read. I'll rethink my ways.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Meltzer's Musings: Briere

:handclap:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Briere/45/52229

Will never forget Danny Boy's performance in 2010 and I agree with Meltzer about the misfortunes of last year with injuries and him playing out of his more comfortable center position which he had to do a lot here. The only complementary players he ever had were Prospal and Leino and he did real well with the both of them. Overall, I'm glad the Flyers got him and he was productive in his time here. His stock is definitely waning but if it were not for the business side of this buyout, which makes sense, I would have liked to have kept him.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I usually listen to music on my drive home from work but yesterday I heard his interview on WIP. I will deeply miss the hobbit and his fist pumps.

Flyersfan139

May 15, 2010
Exton, PA
I love Danny B but this was a good decision, the contract sucked and he isnt playing as well as he use to.

Some great playoff memories from him though! So sad to see him go :(

panayiotis

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
esplain

most of dannys contract has been payed out. why could they not trade him to some warm weather loser team, that could use his cap hit to get floor. without paying him big money. and use buyout on some other stiff.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
most of dannys contract has been payed out. why could they not trade him to some warm weather loser team, that could use his cap hit to get floor. without paying him big money. and use buyout on some other stiff.

Briere has a no-trade clause in his contract. The buyout is an option that is excluded from NTC and no-movement contracts based on the latest CBA.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Can you still line Briere up at center next year? Or is he more of a winger at this point in his career.

He began this most recent season with a wrist injury and that prohibited his abilities to take faceoffs. That was part of the reason why he played wing. Briere intimated that he preferred playing center when asked late in the season but said, in so many words, it was out of his control.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Can you still line Briere up at center next year? Or is he more of a winger at this point in his career.

If you can afford to have a defensively deficient center in your lineup, Briere is probably still good for 50~ points down the middle and a 65~ point pace in the postseason based on his elevated postseason play.

Of course, you have to really take into account what defensively deficient means when it comes to Briere.

It is probably more useful to any team at this point to use him has a 40 point winger.

Torquenstein

Nov 3, 2010
Well then I hope he finds a Team nearby for the year and resigns next year for 1.1mil/year to finish his career here

RJ8812*

Well then I hope he finds a Team nearby for the year and resigns next year for 1.1mil/year to finish his career here

no thanks

This team needs to move on from Briere. We have young players that need ice-time, and signing a guy like Briere in a year doesn't help that.

If we need to add someone at the trade deadline next year, maybe I would consider him, but I wouldn't bring him back for the entire season

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Allows for more creativity and use for Schenn really. He stepped it up this year in my eyes. While I will always love Briere in the playoffs, he never quite was the same player that he was at the end of his Buffalo stint.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Allows for more creativity and use for Schenn really. He stepped it up this year in my eyes. While I will always love Briere in the playoffs, he never quite was the same player that he was at the end of his Buffalo stint.

Really? I thought Schenn had an off year marked by the typical highs and lows you'd expect from a young player. Brought excellent physicality, but showed little offensive development in spite of increased playtime. I'm fine with his development, but I definitely wouldn't call it a huge step up.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For outsiders thinking Briere is worthwhile at a lower cap hit, I'm not sure he's worthwhile at any cap hit. He's not the kind of player who ages gracefully. Once he hit the age wall he totalled himself. He can't keep up in the top 6 and he has nothing to offer in the bottom 6.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad