Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
It's in French but Danny is hometown boy here in Gatineau and Renaud Lavoie is a pretty decent informer.

RDS, Ren Lavoie, June 18

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/lnh/brière-pourrait-écoper-1.632822

"As per Renaud Lavoie, Daniel Brière is about to be bought out by the Philadelphia Flyers."

Hearing that Flyers will use amnesty buyout for Daniel Brière. Flyers could wait another year to do the same with Ilya Bryzgalov. We'll see

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS

ESPN, Pierre LeBrun, June 18

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25403/rumblings-letang-briere-coaches-more

BRIERE BUYOUT

Daniel Briere will be an unrestricted free agent shortly, with the Philadelphia Flyers deciding to buy him out.

A source told ESPN.com that Briere and Paul Holmgren met last week, at which time the Flyers GM informed the veteran center of the team’s decision. No bitter feelings, though, as I’m told Briere feels Holmgren handled it with class.

The buyout will wipe out Briere’s $6.5-million cap hit for the next two seasons.

CSN, Tim Panaccio, June 18

Also, I can confirm ESPN/Pierre Lebrun's report that Danny Briere has been notified by the Flyers that he will be bought out.

https://twitter.com/tpanotchCSN

Associated Press, June 19

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-flyers-set-buy-193832516--nhl.html

Forward Danny Briere is preparing to become an unrestricted free agent as part of the Philadelphia Flyers' offseason shakeup of their high-priced roster.

A person familiar with discussions confirmed on Wednesday that Briere has been informed by the Flyers that they intend to buy out the final two years of his contract. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the Flyers have not announced their decision.

ESPN.com first reported Briere's pending buyout Tuesday evening.

The move will shave $6.5 million off the Flyers' salary cap. Philadelphia had one of the NHL's most expensive payrolls last season, and has been forced into a position to shed salary in order to get under next season's cap, which will drop from $70.2 million to $64.3 million.

Under NHL rules, teams have the option of two amnesty buyouts to terminate contracts before the start of the 2014-15 season.

The Flyers are still on the hook to pay Briere two-thirds - about $3.3 million - of the $5 million the player was owed as part of the eight-year, $52 million contract he signed in free agency on July 1, 2007.

Flyers Use Compliance Buyout for Briere's Contract, June 20

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=674673&navid=DL|PHI|home

Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren released the following statement with regards to Danny Briere's contract.

“I met with Danny last week and informed him of our decision to use a compliance buy out on his contract. This was a very difficult decision for us to make as Danny has been a very good player for us over the past six years. Danny came to our organization as a free agent in July of 2007 and has been a tremendous player, person and role model in all aspects and for that we thank him. We wish him continued success and best wishes in any future endeavors.”

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compliance Buyouts Explained, April 2013

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/quick-guide-nhls-compliance-buyouts

Here’s what the new CBA forbids
This is where things get a little tricky (and a little disappointing, to the many Briere fans who have sent e-mails to CSNPhilly.com).

Players who are bought out by a team cannot have their contracts renegotiated by that team. So, as stated above, the Flyers would be prohibited from buying out Briere or any other player whose cap hit might be undesirable and then re-signing him to a lesser contract.

When a team buys out a player’s contract, that player is not permitted to re-join that club for the duration of the season that follows the summer during which he was bought out. That means that a player bought out by the Flyers in 2013 cannot play for the Flyers during the 2013-14 season, and a player bought out by the Flyers in 2014 cannot play for the Flyers for the duration of the 2014-15 season.

July 4, 2013: Signed with Montreal

2 year contract for Daniel Brière. 4M$ AAV (source: Ren Lavoie)

Last edited by a moderator:

RJ8812*

wow

this is news to me

Do you think this means Paul Foresberg will be brought in the replace him?

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Also for what it's worth, they say that the situation with Bryzgalov is uncertain and Holmgren may wait out the year.

On Brière, what I would like to see is Holmgren call a press conference to announce his buy-out to make plain that this is an unfortunate decision based on the cap situation alone and not one that the Flyers would otherwise do. Add lots of compliments about all that Brière brought to the Flyers in his years here, cite his stellar playoff numbers, talk him up as the important member of the team for his time here, and wish him the very best in his future career.

In other words, don't treat him like a bit of merchandise you're moving from the back shelf, but as someone who gave his all in your uniform.

Invite Brière to be there, if he wishes.

Of course, the problem would be the contrast with the scene if (when) Bryzgalov gets bought out.

* cricket *
* cricket *

RJ8812*

Also for what it's worth, they say that the situation with Bryzgalov is uncertain and Holmgren may wait out the year.

On Brière, what I would like to see is Holmgren call a press conference to announce his buy-out to make plain that this is an unfortunate decision based on the cap situation alone and not one that the Flyers would otherwise do. Add lots of compliments about all that Brière brought to the Flyers in his years here, cite his stellar playoff numbers, talk him up as the important member of the team for his time here, and wish him the very best in his future career.

In other words, don't treat him like a bit of merchandise you're moving from the back shelf, but as someone who gave his all in your uniform.

Of course, the problem would be the contrast with the scene if (when) Bryzgalov gets bought out.

* cricket *
* cricket *

I sure hope someone bakes Briere a cake

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Found this on Youtube:

****ing perfect. I have no idea what this song is, but it is hilarious perfect for this buyout. I was going to put up a YouTube clip or a highlight or some video of a good thing we would remember him for (because he really was awesome even if he's a shell anymore). However, this clip forced its hand. I had to put it here.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site

* cricket *
* cricket *

Agreed and there was a time when you could almost guarantee that would happen. After watching Gagne get jettisoned, I'm not confident the Flyers would do anything of the sort now.

Not to mention saying that Danny is a victim of the salary cap means Holmgren has to admit publicly how badly he's screwed up cap management.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Briere was just one of many overpaid players given too many years when they already had plenty of centers and never truly lived up to his cap hit. Not his fault of course, but I can't say I'm feeling terrible to see that mistake go. IMO his mistake of a contract was the main issue for their cap problems all of these years.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Found this on Youtube:

****ing perfect. I have no idea what this song is, but it is hilarious perfect for this buyout. I was going to put up a YouTube clip or a highlight or some video of a good thing we would remember him for (because he really was awesome even if he's a shell anymore). However, this clip forced its hand. I had to put it here.

Watching that video really makes me realize just how much Briere's play has fallen off the past 2 years. It's a shame really, because when he was on, he was really fun to watch.

Brostradamus

LegionOfDoom Reunion
Feb 2, 2012
Dub C
Paul Foresburg once told me that Samwise Gamgee was the purest soul he'd ever traveled with.

tumblr_mitj56qoaU1s6qui1o1_500.gif

GingerFetish

Feb 26, 2013
Found this on Youtube:

God damn, now I'm super bummed. :( CAN WE GIVE HIM UNTIL NEXT YEAR AND BUY OUT MEZ INSTEAD OR SOMETHING?!
HE'S NOT PERFECT BUT HE KEEPS TRRRYIIINNNG~

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I'll always have the memory of the 2010 cup run and all of his other great playoff performances. Didn't dislike Danny B the player, disliked Danny B the cap hit. I wish him luck.

I pretty much love everyone from the 2010 team (save Leighton, Krajicek)

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
This is a roster that I think we can all get excited about, and I filled in holes with very modest changes. I think something bigger may go down, but if they go into the season like this, the only real question mark I see is in net. I signed Gagne, moved Schenn to wing, and signed Greiss. Nothing too crazy. Still have $7 million in cap space. I expect something bigger to happen, but even if nothing does, this lineup looks pretty good.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.500m) / Scott Laughton ($1.107m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.975m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,991,667; BONUSES: $2,800,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $7,108,333

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
This is a roster that I think we can all get excited about, and I filled in holes with very modest changes. I think something bigger may go down, but if they go into the season like this, the only real question mark I see is in net. I signed Gagne, moved Schenn to wing, and signed Greiss. Nothing too crazy. Still have $7 million in cap space. I expect something bigger to happen, but even if nothing does, this lineup looks pretty good.

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)
OTHER
------

As a Habs fan, I'm pretty jealous of your Forwards. I like the young group of forwards you guys have and it has so much potential! Your Top 6 is amazing and I really don't look forward to play against Philly lol.

Although, I see 4 buyouts? I'm assuming you're using one for Pronger since he'll probably be on LTIR all year long? Having him healthy would really be great. I always liked Pronger and the way he plays.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
As a Habs fan, I'm pretty jealous of your Forwards. I like the young group of forwards you guys have and it has so much potential! Your Top 6 is amazing and I really don't look forward to play against Philly lol.

Although, I see 4 buyouts? I'm assuming you're using one for Pronger since he'll probably be on LTIR all year long? Having him healthy would really be great. I always liked Pronger and the way he plays.

LTIR: Pronger (0.000)
BUYOUT: Bartulis (0.100)
AMNESTY: Bryzgalov, Briere (0.000)
DUMP TRADE: Meszaros (0.000)

:nod::nod:

RJ8812*

can't buy-out Pronger since he's injured and he's never coming back

our two buy-outs will be Briere and Bryz

Bryz4shiz

Feb 10, 2009
Alhoa Oe

My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jay Rosehill ($0.675m) /
DEFENSEMEN
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
Thomas Greiss ($0.900m)
OTHER
------

That's not a playoff roster and if that team does get into the playoffs they get swept by any team that can forecheck.

As far as Briere goes he should definitely be bought out but I almost guarantee that he absolutely rips it up next year on his new team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad