Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
That's not a playoff roster and if that team does get into the playoffs they get swept by any team that can forecheck.

As far as Briere goes he should definitely be bought out but I almost guarantee that he absolutely rips it up next year on his new team.

If Lavy is the coach that for sure will happen. We need a coach who will actually play a system and one that will play to the strengths of his team. Lavys only answers to anything are changing the line combos, calling a timeout, and punching coke machines

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
That's not a playoff roster and if that team does get into the playoffs they get swept by any team that can forecheck.

As far as Briere goes he should definitely be bought out but I almost guarantee that he absolutely rips it up next year on his new team.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Gagne - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
(TBD)

That is DEFINITELY a playoff roster. We could never beat Boston, but that's definitely a playoff roster.

**** it. We were a playoff team this 1/2 season if we weren't injured all the time and Bryzgalov played halfway to his capabilities.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I still love Briere for the Miller helmet tap and everything else, but it's simple math.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
That is DEFINITELY a playoff roster. We could never beat Boston, but that's definitely a playoff roster.

How are you confident that the Flyers currently have a playoff roster when their only goalie (assuming Bryz is bought out) is statistically one of, if not the, worst goaltenders of the past 4 seasons?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
When did it become ok for this team to just aim for the playoffs? The only team that team will beat is the Pens

It became OK since people are actually looking at the future for once and not just winning the next couple years. Would it be better for the Flyers to overpay for a guy like Horton and trade Couturier, Schenn and picks for a guy like Boyle and other former all-stars? Sure the team would probably have a better chance winning a cup in the short term but you sacrifice the future. This way the young guys all get the experience, grow together and be serious contenders in a few years. In the mean while you ice a competitive team that if a few people get hot or you get good playoff match-ups you might get lucky and make it to the finals or something.

I just don't understand why someone would want to sell the future for a shot now. That's how this organization has operated for a long time and consequently they don't have a cup in 40 years.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You complement Briere with the right players (like when he had Prospal and Leino) and the guy is money. Yeah his D has regressed but come playoff time you can't argue with his productivity..

Anyway, if it wasn't for the money I still would have liked to have kept him.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Briere was just one of many overpaid players given too many years when they already had plenty of centers and never truly lived up to his cap hit. Not his fault of course, but I can't say I'm feeling terrible to see that mistake go. IMO his mistake of a contract was the main issue for their cap problems all of these years.

I disagree. He has had amazing years with us, and amazing series too. Should've won the Conn Smythe in 2010 imo. His only two bad years were the 2 lasts.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
How are you confident that the Flyers currently have a playoff roster when their only goalie (assuming Bryz is bought out) is statistically one of, if not the, worst goaltenders of the past 4 seasons?

:dunno:

I just am. That's how bad I think Bryzgalov and Leighton were.

StevensCakeBakerBacker

Nov 11, 2009
I disagree. He has had amazing years with us, and amazing series too. Should've won the Conn Smythe in 2010 imo. His only two bad years were the 2 lasts.

I disagree.

Briere wouldn't have to be Briere if he wasn't Briere.

In other words, Briere wouldn't have to have scored "clutch" playoff goals if he didn't give up so many goals with his lazy play.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

How is that not a playoff roster? It looks like a team with a balanced offense and balanced defense? The only issue is the goalie, and that may or may not turn out to be an issue in the end. Why would they be swept by a team that can forecheck?

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
How is that not a playoff roster? It looks like a team with a balanced offense and balanced defense? The only issue is the goalie, and that may or may not turn out to be an issue in the end. Why would they be swept by a team that can forecheck?

I think just because Lavy cannot or will not adjust in game or in series. A goalie who can move the puck like Mason or Bernier could really help in that department though

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds
Gagne - Laughton - Read
Rinaldo - Hall - Talbot
Rosehill

Timonen - Schenn
Streit - Coburn
Gustafsson - Grossmann

Mason
(TBD)

**** it. We were a playoff team this 1/2 season if we weren't injured all the time and Bryzgalov played halfway to his capabilities.

I am not sure I agree with this. too many question marks. especially in goal.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I believe this says it best:

“All stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you.â€
― Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon

:(

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I believe this says it best:

“All stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you.â€
― Ernest Hemingway, Death in the Afternoon

:(

Good quote. Loved Danny in Flyers orange, wish him nothing but the best. Will never forget that 2010 run.

But a truly underrated DB48 moment, his shootout goal in Buffalo to end the Flyers losing streak back in 08 I believe.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Danny Briere Bought Out

We knew it was coming but according to the rumor it is true:

Per Pierre LeBrun, Flyers have informed Daniel Briere that he's been bought out. Not official until 48 hrs after cup final.
-NHLupdate

Also here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/25403/rumblings-letang-briere-coaches-more

BRIERE BUYOUT

Daniel Briere will be an unrestricted free agent shortly, with the Philadelphia Flyers deciding to buy him out.

A source told ESPN.com that Briere and Paul Holmgren met last week, at which time the Flyers GM informed the veteran center of the team’s decision. No bitter feelings, though, as I’m told Briere feels Holmgren handled it with class.

The buyout will wipe out Briere’s $6.5-million cap hit for the next two seasons.

What remains to be seen is whether the Flyers will buy out goalie Ilya Bryzgalov, a decision that has been met with mixed opinions within the Flyers front office.

The decision is whether to do it now or wait one more year, when they can still get a cap-friendly buyout.

Perhaps what might push the Flyers into buying out Bryz now is the availability of young netminder Jonathan Bernier from the Los Angeles Kings.

My TSN colleague Bob McKenzie reported during our Insider Trading segment Tuesday night that the Flyers, Maple Leafs and Islanders were among the most interested teams that coveted Bernier.

One source told ESPN.com Tuesday that there are five teams now with serious interest in Bernier, the list cut down from the nearly dozen clubs that poked around on him.

Has been fun Briere. Up and downs but nothing against the guy. Wish him luck in the future.

EDIT: Thanks for moving it. Didnt see the other thread haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad