Confirmed with Link: The Flyers use a compliance buyout on Danny Briere's contract (post #1)

Giroux It

Mar 30, 2013
Elizabethtown, PA
For outsiders thinking Briere is worthwhile at a lower cap hit, I'm not sure he's worthwhile at any cap hit. He's not the kind of player who ages gracefully. Once he hit the age wall he totalled himself. He can't keep up in the top 6 and he has nothing to offer in the bottom 6.

I think people get too hung up on the name instead of the actual production and performance. If you put any other name on the back of his jersey people wouldn't even bat an eye at the buyout IMO

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
For outsiders thinking Briere is worthwhile at a lower cap hit, I'm not sure he's worthwhile at any cap hit. He's not the kind of player who ages gracefully. Once he hit the age wall he totalled himself. He can't keep up in the top 6 and he has nothing to offer in the bottom 6.

@DarrenDreger
15 teams or more believed to have interest in Briere once he becomes a buyout UFA. Briere will want a 1-2 year deal. #TSN

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You know who could use Briere. The penguins. A highly skilled winger piggy backing off the dominance of crosby or malkin could lead to some big numbers. Plus he is such a great guy and his playoff performances are 2nd to no one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You know who could use Briere. The penguins. A highly skilled winger piggy backing off the dominance of crosby or malkin could lead to some big numbers. Plus he is such a great guy and his playoff performances are 2nd to no one.

In general I think Briere is bad on the wing and was awful last year. But if he plays 70+ games on Crosby's wing he could score 30 goals.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Briere needs to play center and have the right complementary players. I still see some decent years and production from him in the right situation although some have mockingly disagreed. Heck like I said..the trend lately is for former Flyers to leave and get trophies the following season....so Briere might not be the exception. Phil Esposito on NHL radio thought he would be a good fit at center on the second line for Chicago....not sure if Briere wants to go out there but not a bad situation to get a chance to play for the Stanley Cup champs. Chicago is a well run organization.....at least they know how to manage a cap. They had like only 8 players from the 2010 cup team and they go on to repeat a couple of years later. Instead, Holmgren and the Flyers are spinning their wheels..

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Discussion can continue in the sticky and also here.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/04/montreal-signs-briere-two-years-8-million/

Daniel Briere is headed home.

The Quebec native, recently bought out of his deal with the Philadelphia Flyers, has agreed to join the Montreal Canadiens on a two-year deal, the club announced on Thursday.

According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, Briere’s deal is for $8 million, with a $4 million annual cap hit. Combined with the Flyers buyout ($825,000 per year for the next four years), Briere will make nearly $5 million in 2013-14 and 2014-15.

As mentioned above, the signing represents a homecoming for the veteran forward.

Briere, 35, grew up in Gatineau and played his junior hockey for Drummondville of the QMJHL.

This deal also marks a reconciliation of sorts. In 2007, Briere spurned the Habs as a free agent, opting instead to sign with Philadelphia despite the Canadiens offering a similar deal.

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
Not a bad deal for them. Are the main board posters going crazy over the habs not playin defense?

Flyerfan808

Apr 28, 2007
Honolulu, HI
I'm really happy for Danny, he gets to play for his home team and on top of that he makes 3.333M in the buyout + 8M for the next two seasons, all of which his ex-wife can't touch.

When he returns it might be the first time a Hab gets cheers from the crowd?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If you guys want to be entertained, come on over to the Habs board and watch us go full drama-queen on the acquisition of yet another small forward. Most of us armchair Habs GMs -- me included -- aren't happy about this. Money could've been better spent elsewhere, too small, too old, not the guy we need, etc. On the surface, it looks like a PR deal to appease the part of Montreal's fan base that wants french players.

That said, Briere has a definite upside in plenty of heart, plus his legendary playoff magic. I've always liked the guy and he's a Canadien now, so we'll welcome him 'home' (even though his hometown is next to Ottawa).

Glad to hear most of you respect the guy. I think it's understood that when a player returns to his former arena, the crowd will applaud the person and not the new jersey on his back. It's the classy thing to do.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Hab fan here. So is Briere as badly broken as we keep hearing?

He began this most recent season with a wrist injury and that prohibited his abilities to take faceoffs. That was part of the reason why he played wing. Briere intimated that he preferred playing center when asked late in the season but said, in so many words, it was out of his control.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He began this most recent season with a wrist injury and that prohibited his abilities to take faceoffs. That was part of the reason why he played wing. Briere intimated that he preferred playing center when asked late in the season but said, in so many words, it was out of his control.

not really broken, just old n worn out...

but good luk with him anyways...

thanks guys.

i probably should've rephrased that. more just wanting to know how useful he still is.

hopefully moving him back to center and playing him with Pacioretty or Galchenyuk could get him producing.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
thanks guys.

i probably should've rephrased that. more just wanting to know how useful he still is.

hopefully moving him back to center and playing him with Pacioretty or Galchenyuk could get him producing.

Honestly, I think it's beyond that point. I just don't think he has much left in the tank at this point.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I've learn 1 thing, and that is to never doubt briere. He can look god awful one season, to being an all star the next. What is key for him is finding chemistry with his linemates.

in the 2010 playoffs when the flyers were just putting together lines on the fly , he and 2 linemates found this great chemistry between them. That line single handedly kept us in every game.

That line kept their chemistry throughout the next year and briere was an all star.

If he can find the right combination of linemates that suit his skills and make up for his defensive inefficiencies he will be able to return to a 60 pt form.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I've learn 1 thing, and that is to never doubt briere. He can look god awful one season, to being an all star the next. What is key for him is finding chemistry with his linemates.

I think that's more Hartnell and Coburn.

Briere has been on a steady downturn actually for a couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->