The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
All I know is I trust the Harvard educated guy that constructed a Stanley Cup winning roster who knows about 1000 x more about how to run a hockey team than anyone here. It'll be OK.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I was completely wrong in this, and thanks for correcting me. The handful of places I looked didn't show it, but I didn't look in the most obvious place. :(

Remember, they had a deal in place for Edler from Vancouver. It was contingent on Kesler going to Pittsburgh, but that fell through so it was out of their hands.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Remember, they had a deal in place for Edler from Vancouver. It was contingent on Kesler going to Pittsburgh, but that fell through so it was out of their hands.

For me, that approach was too much relying on other teams to make a deal to get the player you want. Those kind of moves are done in the offseason, as Chiarelli I think even said himself after the deadline.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
For me, that approach was too much relying on other teams to make a deal to get the player you want. Those kind of moves are done in the offseason, as Chiarelli I think even said himself after the deadline.

I assume Pittsburgh was sending a defenseman back for Kesler, in which case that was pretty much the only way they were going to move a defenseman.

I don't really remember hearing much about other top 4 defensemen available at the deadline, so it might have been the only choice Chiarelli really had.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I think they could send down 4 players from that roster on Day 1, then place Savard on LTIR, and recall them, not unlike they did last year with Hamilton and Krug.

1. They need to be waiver exempt players.
2. They still need to have a full roster after sending those players down.

Those two don't correlate. Hell, they don't even have the capability of #1.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
I assume Pittsburgh was sending a defenseman back for Kesler, in which case that was pretty much the only way they were going to move a defenseman.

I don't really remember hearing much about other top 4 defensemen available at the deadline, so it might have been the only choice Chiarelli really had.

I just didn't like the approach, if they did put everything aside in the hopes of getting Edler based on Kesler being moved. It doesn't even sound like something PC would do. It caused them to end up with Meszaros, who they couldn't trust to play over Bartkowski and who I thought was just plainly not the style of defenseman the Bruins would want.

If their approach was to not be wrapped up in Edler they could have expanded their options, I think Mike Weaver or MacDonald would have been a much better additions. I think Hemsky could have helped somewhere especially after Kelly got hurt, he had very respectable numbers after the deadline.

Believe me, I don't think the deadline was the only reason why they didn't make it out of the 2nd round. It was just part of it. I just think there were better players traded and they had the wrong approach.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I just didn't like the approach, if they did put everything aside in the hopes of getting Edler based on Kesler being moved. It doesn't even sound like something PC would do. It caused them to end up with Meszaros, who they couldn't trust to play over Bartkowski and who I thought was just plainly not the style of defenseman the Bruins would want.

If their approach was to not be wrapped up in Edler they could have expanded their options, I think Mike Weaver or MacDonald would have been a much better additions. I think Hemsky could have helped somewhere especially after Kelly got hurt, he had very respectable numbers after the deadline.

Believe me, I don't think the deadline was the only reason why they didn't make it out of the 2nd round. It was just part of it. I just think there were better players traded and they had the wrong approach.

It's possible. I don't know all the details, obviously. It's clear that Meszaros wasn't enough.

To be honest, if I'm assigning blame to the players, coaches and management, I'd give the least blame to management.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
It's possible. I don't know all the details, obviously. It's clear that Meszaros wasn't enough.

To be honest, if I'm assigning blame to the players, coaches and management, I'd give the least blame to management.

I agree, a few players underperformed and I believe the coaching staff should have changed the lines earlier and more often in response.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Wait. So Eriksson is making 4.25m. Reilly is about to make 3.25. That's 7.5m combined. Seguin is making 5.75m. I thought that trade was supposed to free up cap space, not make it worse?

Smith will not make 3.25. No chance

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
What did Kadri get as a bridge contract last year?

2yr 5.8m. A lot more pro experience than Smith though. Shouldn't factor in but higher pedigree too.1st rounder and hometown kid. I'm hoping we get Smith/Kreg for 5m.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Go big or go home salary cap fix all no shot in hell of happenin' proposal of the day....

Nashville looking for #1 pivot...

DK/Boychuck/Kelly

For

Jones/Wilson/2015 1st

Nashville needs to make playoffs and create a wave. They get a #1 C and two valuable vets. We get a future #1 D and a young forward along with the pick and cap relief.

We will not be able to keep the band together guys. Hate to be the one to break it to you.

Ok, back outside with the rest of the normals

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
If Iggy really wants to stay with Boston, why not just not sign until the season starts and Savard goes on LITR?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Dom, why does LTIR work like this? Teams are dramatically at a disadvantage for something totally out of their control, an injury to a player.

I mean, for a guy like Savard, why not have a permanent IR, and the team doesn't have to be hamstrung. It's not like they are faking it.

Make it so any guy who will never be medically cleared essentially comes of the books for cap purposes.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom, why does LTIR work like this? Teams are dramatically at a disadvantage for something totally out of their control, an injury to a player.

I mean, for a guy like Savard, why not have a permanent IR, and the team doesn't have to be hamstrung. It's not like they are faking it.

Make it so any guy who will never be medically cleared essentially comes of the books for cap purposes.

I'm not really sure Mike. I've been in favor of changing the LTIR since it began. I can understand that the NHL wants it there to count against the players share of revenues. I guess in its own sick way, that makes sense.

But for guys like Savard/Pronger, they are paid by insurance and not by the teams, so I question why they should even count as the players share of revenue. It's not like it's costing the owners any $$$. And to make matters worse, if they retire, they are subject to cap recapture.

I guess once regular Joe's like us can understand all the workings, it's pretty easy. I think I understand the cap and the workings of it pretty well, but even I find myself getting clarification at times.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Here's my crack at this thing. Originally, I thought trading Kelly and McQuaid for picks and just keep Smith/Krug. Don't think we have enough up front on the wings to compete if we did that and lose Iggy. Assuming Iggy comes back for a similiar deal, a way to be just as good would be to deal Boychuk for a wing who makes about 1m or a little higher if I can get Krug/Smith cheaper. Thru injury we will probably have accrued enough capspace to be able to deal for a defenseman at the deadline if we need one. And, we have the prospects.

1. Sign Iginla for 1.75m with the ability to make 5m.

2. Sign Krug and Smith for 2.5m each over 2 years.

3. Sign Barkowski for 1m. 7th defenseman.

4. Trade Boychuk for that wing. Could be a bigger deal. I'll call him player x for now. Maybe Chiasson. Dallas would have to add.

Lucic 6m Krejci 5.25m Iggy 1.75m Total 13m
Marchy 4.5m Bergeron 6.5m Smith 2.5m Total 13.5m
Loui 4.25m Soda 1m Player X 1M Total 6.258m
Paille 1.3m Campbell 1.6m Savvy 4m Total 6.927

Chara 6.916 - Bartkowski 1m Total 7,916,667
Seids 4m - McQuaid 1.5 Total 5,566,667
Krug 2.5m - Miller 800k Total 3,300,000

Rask 7m
Svedberg 600k Total 7,600,000

A lot like this past year's team. I thought we were pretty damn good. This compliant roster is at 64,068,334. A tad less than cap. Now, we put Savvy and his 4m on LTIR. Bring up Dougie, Spooner and Fraser. Those 3 are about 2.5m and now you have enough space to make any additional in season moves. Any ideas other than Chiasson I'm all ears. Mainly, using him as an example. Not necessarily a want.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Problem is Iggy wants a multi year deal.
Also for trades, GMs know the Bs are Cap screwed so we won't get any value in return. Only somebody to take our salary dump for peanuts back.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Guess it's up to PC to work his magic and get out of this jam somewhat unscathed. Iginla's a pipe dream at this point. Right now, i just want to make sure Smith and Krug aren't lost to this nonsense.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Problem is Iggy wants a multi year deal.
Also for trades, GMs know the Bs are Cap screwed so we won't get any value in return. Only somebody to take our salary dump for peanuts back.

I was assuming Iggy would take the same deal. I doubt he gets his cup if he wants a multi-year deal. We may not win it either. But, we'd have a heckuva lot better chance than any other of his possible destinations.

I think half of the league would be interested in Boychuk. So, there would be some competition for him. I'm not expecting a Top 6 forward. Just a decent player/prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00