The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I love Chara but sooner rather than later if the Kings would go for it I'd offer up Chara and Marchand for Doughty who in my opinion is the best defenceman in the league and he's got a few good years in him to come.

Good grief, let`s shut down HF til the season begins:shakehead

Even Garth Snow wouldn`t make that deal

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
you are a bit off. use capgeek's team editor. They are automatically adding a 4.75 million cap hit for this year (the bonuses that rolled over). Your estimates for Smith and Krug are also at least a million and a half bucks low between the two of them. No way we get them both for 2 each. And where is McQuaid?

Thanks.

I dropped McQuaid for Miller (+800k). Had to be done. Plus, as I've said before, where is 'Quaider gonna play? Reserve? Nahh. That's an expensive (can't believe I'm saying that) reserve when you can have someone do it for 600k. I think the Bruins want Miller on pair 3 with Krug. Times are tough.
Evidently so bad we can't cut Iggy, replace him with an in-house kid, and move on.

Smith and Krug are best case. We do this every year. People are consistantly amazed at what Chia signs players for...in all honesty, I'm thinking 2.5 per, as you more or less say...

But I'm dreaming...and Chia HAS TO HAVE IT...

Who knows?

In the end, I fully expect Chia to work a little magic. Iggy will take the fall...but from there, I don't think Chia expects to do much outside of fringe cap casualties and fringe walking paper types (McQuaid, Bart). Every bit of excess fat cut and replaced with a 600k prov grad.

Somehow, something very close to this roster is going to happen. Just my strong feeling.

And hey, I was putting this roster out right after the playoffs, when people thought the concept of letting Iggy walk was pure madness.

"That's our leading goalscorer! Never gonna happen."

These are strange times, my friend.

Last edited:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Thanks. And to follow up, I'm guessing that it is true that it is a requirement of LTIR, that you must have a full roster of 20 players in order to put someone on it? Does Savard count as one of those players?

As long as you have 20 players on the roster on Day 1, you're OK.

And that includes any player that will go on LTIR.

So, I'm getting 63.7 million for this roster...before the team bonuses, which capgeek is saying is 4.75 million...

68.45 million.

Tight. But there.

Now I can sleep.

Crap, I didn't cover the regular bonuses (600k), not just the carry-over...damn...

Now I'm over by like a 100k...

Chia is going to have to get creative.

Bonuses don't count against the cap during the season.

They might put you in cap hell the next season however... :D

So that roster is cap compliant.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
As long as you have 20 players on the roster on Day 1, you're OK.

And that includes any player that will go on LTIR.

Bonuses don't count against the cap during the season.

They might put you in cap hell the next season however... :D

So that roster is cap compliant.

Cool. I know next year is a bear :)D), but without Iggy we're only carrying 600k, I believe, so I can live with that.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Cool. I know next year is a bear :)D), but without Iggy we're only carrying 600k, I believe, so I can live with that.

If that $600K is earned, it will be added to this year cap payroll. It is only the excedent that does not fit under the cap (if any) that would be deferred to next season (2015-2016).

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If that $600K is earned, it will be added to this year cap payroll. It is only the excedent that does not fit under the cap (if any) that would be deferred to next season (2015-2016).

If they are into LTIR (which they will be) any bonuses earned in 2014-2015 will carry over to 2015-2016. It`s a given as LTIR does not cover bonuses.

Just as 2013-2014 bonuses were carried over. They had about $2 million in LTIR space left, but all bonuses were carried over.

Anything over the bonus cushion allowance (7.5% of the cap) has to fit under the cap.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Some good facts here.

Didn't know we can't go over the cap (10% allowance) and then put Savard on LTIR.

ie - we are screwed right now

What are the options?

1) Is it possible to send anyone to the AHL?

2) Can we wait to sign our RFAs until after season begins?

3) Can Kelly be placed on waivers and if he clears sent to AHL?

4) Are we stuck trading 1 of Marchand, Boychuk or Eriksson?

5) Is it plain and simple time to move Krejci and let the Spooner era begin?

jdz

May 22, 2013
Some good facts here.

That gets a big ole NO from me.

Even though a team may not appear as strong on paper, good players have a funny knack of stepping up and increasing their production when their responsibilities increase.

I'm less worried than others on here.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
What if, in order to fit everyoe under the cap, they sign Krug and Smith to one year incentive laden contracts and just take cap penalties next year?

:sarcasm:

I saw the :sarcasm: emoticon, but just in case:

Bonuses are only allowed on ELCs, 35+ 1-year contract and for some players who spent more than 100 days on IR during the last year of their previous contract.

CanadianBruinsFan

Mar 18, 2012
Halifax, NS
There's virtually 0 chance my pea brain can find that one of Marchand, Kelly or Boychuk isn't gone from Boston next year. And essentially no salary has to come back unless at least two of them are moved.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
What are the options?

1) Is it possible to send anyone to the AHL?

2) Can we wait to sign our RFAs until after season begins?

3) Can Kelly be placed on waivers and if he clears sent to AHL?

4) Are we stuck trading 1 of Marchand, Boychuk or Eriksson?

1) Yes - Hamilton and depends on who else is on the roster

2) Yes, as long as they are signed before Dec 31 or they will have to sit a year. I talked about this scenario in another thread

3) Yes but it wouldn't eliminate the cap hit. All but $100,000 would still count

4) No There are other options

5) No. Just simply no

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
1) Yes - Hamilton and depends on who else is on the roster

2) Yes, as long as they are signed before Dec 31 or they will have to sit a year. I talked about this scenario in another thread

3) Yes but it wouldn't eliminate the cap hit. All but $100,000 would still count

4) No There are other options

5) No. Just simply no

Hey Dom, can you elaborate on #4? Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself. You can also just link me to the thread where you may have done it.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
What to you guys think about Kulemin?

Watched him over the years living in Toronto. Very sound defensively and could do well on our 3rd line with Yeti. Really didn't get the opportunity to play with anyone offensively in Toronto these past few years....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00