The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Bruins should still be good- even if they have to remove core or valuable players they should still be no worse than 5th in the Conference and that gets you in the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Doesn't surprise me.

I've been preaching $68.8 million to anyone who will listen for a couple of months

best news is kids get to play, all those April games may mean something. Like the old days clinching a spot last week of season. That was fun. Presidents Cup runaway was boring. How cool would it be if it came down to a home and home with Toronto in a year or two to see which one of us makes the playoffs and gets to get hammered by the Mighty Buffalo Sabres (4 prospects in top 20 wow- great drafting and about to add Sam Reinhart...they are going to be unbelieveable and have the the Islanders first next year)

glad they are not in our division....oh, wait they are

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
update

CapGeek ‏@capgeek ·3 mins
Sources say the upper limit has been set at $69M.

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger ·3 mins
Salary cap for 2014-2015. Cap is at $69. Lower Limit is $51 million.

Last edited:

iiBruins17*

Bruins should still be good- even if they have to remove core or valuable players they should still be no worse than 5th in the Conference and that gets you in the playoffs.

Who gives a **** about making the playoffs, it's about winning the Cup with this team.

If PC didn't give idiotic deals to Kelly, Campbell, Marchand, and McQuaid(even though I love him) to some extent, we wouldn't be wasting a year of this core and Chara

David Krejci*

Who gives a **** about making the playoffs, it's about winning the Cup with this team.

If PC didn't give idiotic deals to Kelly, Campbell, Marchand, and McQuaid(even though I love him) to some extent, we wouldn't be wasting a year of this core and Chara
Agreed.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Bruins are gonna be in rough shape. It hurts to know that as a whole, there is nowhere to go but down from last season in which they blew it in royal fashion.

HOWEVER, there is some silver lining. Seidenberg returning is a huge positive to the team. Hamilton could pull a Fowler and become a #1 Dman this year (which we saw shades of last year). Eriksson could rebound an be an absolute beast.

I'm not completely worried about what happens, but I'm not completely stoked either about the direction of the team for the next season or two. I'm hoping Koko comes up and lights it up because he pretty much has a guaranteed spot on the wing now.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Doesn't surprise me.

I've been preaching $68.8 million to anyone who will listen for a couple of months

So what are the options Dom ?

We're sitting at $67,329,643 with 18 players signed. Does that number include Iggy's bonus from last season or not ? If so, this doesn't seem like the end of the world.

David Krejci*

If we trade a player, but retain part of his salary, does that count against our cap?

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

Look at the finals this last year (5th seed against a 6th seed) and tell us again about how no one gives a **** about making the playoffs as a 5th seed.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Playoffs are all about who gets hot at the right time... Thomas and the boys did in 2011. Look at the Kings in 2012, they couldn't score more than 2 goals a game. Quick, Kopitar, Brown get hot, they annihilate the playoffs.

Skill does matter a lot, but its not everything. Rask, Krejci, Iginla, Lucic, Chara, Marchand, etc. were cold against Montreal. Subban and Price were hot. We lose.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Do we have a right-handed shot RW? We really need to get a cheap one. A similiar prospect to Koko or Spooner. But, a RH shot.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
So what are the options Dom ?

We're sitting at $67,329,643 with 18 players signed. Does that number include Iggy's bonus from last season or not ? If so, this doesn't seem like the end of the world.

Look at it like this

Bruins cap is now 64,250,000.00

If they sign Krug, Smith to their qualifying offers (not happening) it puts them over the cap by -54,269.00 with Iginla/Replacement and 12th and 13th forward to sign.

Way more than Savard's LTI space. Someone has to move

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'm not worried. And you shouldn't be either

It's all good man, enjoy the ride

I trust claude and peter

...And bergy and rask

I think the bruins should just draft whoever is most pro ready and a winger in this draft with their first pick

Someone is ready to move up and I think one of Kelly or Campbell has to go

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Do we have a right-handed shot RW? We really need to get a cheap one. A similiar prospect to Koko or Spooner. But, a RH shot.

BFerlin, come on down
picture.php

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Look at it like this

If they sign Krug, Smith to their qualifying offers (not happening) it puts them over the cap by -54,269.00 with Iginla/Replacement and 12th and 13th forward to sign.

We have to move Kelly and Quaider to sign them. On the roster we submit Savvy can be our 12th forward. Then you put him on LTIR and activate your 12th and 13th forward. And, 7th defenseman. I don't see any way Iggy fits unless it's 1m + bonus money.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Wouldn't mind seeing one of Boychuk or Seidenberg moved at the draft. The only position of any sort of depth, both prospect wise and starting 6. Boychuk makes the most sense if you feel you can't sign him.

Boychuk + our best prospect in P + our 1st + our next highest pick for Edmonton's pick.

RedBruin

Jul 4, 2010
Germany
Look at it like this

Right. Now, that doesn't sound like fun. I figure Kelly has to go, at least. Moving McQuaid alone doesn't really help that much considering you need a replacement as well.
I guess signing Iggy for like 1m base salary + heavy bonus seems the best option to go for now, no ? Kind of a robbing Peter to pay Paul scenario but still...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad