The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

David Krejci*

Look at the finals this last year (5th seed against a 6th seed) and tell us again about how no one gives a **** about making the playoffs as a 5th seed.

I think he just meant that putting together a team to make the playoffs isn't good enough, we have to build a contender. I agree that our seeding doesn't matter at all. They need to do a better job of resting guys down the stretch, home ice doesn't mean ****. Thomas in 2012, and Chara these last two years, have been run into the ground over the course of the last month of the regular season. We can't have that. Giving them the last game or two off, isn't enough.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Who gives a **** about making the playoffs, it's about winning the Cup with this team.

If PC didn't give idiotic deals to Kelly, Campbell, Marchand, and McQuaid(even though I love him) to some extent, we wouldn't be wasting a year of this core and Chara

Marchand's deal is totally in line with his production. Campbell's deal was fine until this year.

Kelly...well...yeah.

David Krejci*

Marchand's deal is totally in line with his production. Campbell's deal was fine until this year.

Kelly...well...yeah.
Marchand hasn't done anything in the playoffs since 2011, he's been a detriment to the team in the playoffs more than he's been an asset. He had a nice ECF last year, that's it. I don't care if he puts up good regular season numbers, it means nothing if you don't do it in the playoffs. Add in all the extra crap and the idiotic penalties, I am so all set with Marchand. Package him with prospects and get a real scoring winger in here.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Look at it like this

Bruins cap is now 64,250,000.00

If they sign Krug, Smith to their qualifying offers (not happening) it puts them over the cap by -54,269.00 with Iginla/Replacement and 12th and 13th forward to sign.

Way more than Savard's LTI space. Someone has to move

The situation is not good/great but it might not be as bad as it appears.

Don't forget about the extra 10% during the summer.

So they have $8,570,357 to play with until the start of the next season.

Once the season starts, Savard goes on LTIR and they have $5,680,500 with 17 players signed.

They need at least 4 if not 5 extra players with Krug, Bartkowski and Smith as RFAs to be signed.

They are unlikely to be able to sign Iginla and will probably need to let someone go with almost no salary coming back (CBO on Ericksson?, trade of Marchand?).

Not good, but not desesperate.

Last edited:

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Ya but Krug and R. Smith need to get signed...that is $5M+ there.

Have to say a couple guys have to go...wouldn't be surprised if Marchand is gone.

So what are the options Dom ?

We're sitting at $67,329,643 with 18 players signed. Does that number include Iggy's bonus from last season or not ? If so, this doesn't seem like the end of the world.

Kaoz*

Playoffs are all about who gets hot at the right time... Thomas and the boys did in 2011. Look at the Kings in 2012, they couldn't score more than 2 goals a game. Quick, Kopitar, Brown get hot, they annihilate the playoffs.

Skill does matter a lot, but its not everything. Rask, Krejci, Iginla, Lucic, Chara, Marchand, etc. were cold against Montreal. Subban and Price were hot. We lose.

Curious... Before LA, who was the last 8 seed in a conference to win the cup?

That should tell you something, it ain't all luck.

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
NOT MOVING
Rask
Svedberg

Chara
Seidenberg
Hamilton
Miller

Bergeron
Lucic

COULD MOVE
Krug
Boychuk
McQuaid
Bartkowski

Krejci
Marchand
R. Smith
Eriksson
Soderberg
Paille
Campbell
Kelly
Caron

Doubt they will move...
Krejci
R. Smith
Soderberg
Paille
Campbell

This leaves...that are your likely tradables....
Krug
Boychuk
McQuaid
Bartkowski
Marchand
Eriksson
Kelly
Caron

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
If Iggy is gone this year, there is no way in heck Soderberg stays past 2014-15.

One has nothing to do with the other. The biggest reason we couldn't extend iggy is that we had his 3.7m bonus subtracted from our cap for 14/15. If we had that much space we would have been able to extend him. We will have plenty of space to extend Krejci and Soderberg. The cap for 15/16 is rumored to go up to 76m or even higher. We have Savvy's cap hit. But, that's no biggie. You can use the LTIR. When you're setting your compliant roster, he's your 12th forward. When he's put on LTIR you call up your ELC's for the 12th and 13th forward spots and 7th defenseman.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Everyone has the same cap to deal with.

Makes it burn that much more that they failed to cash in on cup chances the previous two seasons.

They're still in fine shape compared to most teams. Eventually, the contracts need to seek their level and you need to be able to walk away from guys at the correct time.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Everyone has the same cap to deal with.

Makes it burn that much more that they failed to cash in on cup chances the previous two seasons.

They're still in fine shape compared to most teams. Eventually, the contracts need to seek their level and you need to be able to walk away from guys at the correct time.

You are allowed to blame the players when they lose. A little more from Seguin last year. Maybe, we win it. A host of guys to choose from this year; Marchand, Krejci, Lucic to name a few. This was probably the best Bruins team since 77 or 78. Sucks, we didn't do better in the playoffs. But, not managements fault at all.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I still think Kelly is the linchpin. Move him, and him alone, and they've got a team that's under the cap.

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($3.250m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Matt Fraser ($0.688m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Justin Florek ($0.660m)
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Torey Krug ($2.750m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,750,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,410,000; BONUSES: $710,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $590,000

And that's with the full $4,750k cap penalty and giving Krug and Smith hefty raises.

I know that lineup isn't blowing anybody's skirt up, mine included, but as disappointing as it is, could you not say it's better than the team we thought we were starting with last season? I remember last summer some folks thought Soderberg would be back in Sweden by Christmas and that Reilly Smith was brought in to play with Carter Camper and Kelly was locked in as the 3C. But if the team listed above is the team we start with, the new Soderberg is a HUGE upgrade on Kelly as the 3c. Spooner and Fraser are last year's 3rd line unknowns (i.e. Smith/Soder). The D should be better as Dougie and Krug improve... Don't get me wrong, I want to see this team improve but I guess what I'm saying is the team above is the starting point for improvement, it's the worst case scenario, and it's not half bad.

Last edited:

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
I have your roster at 65, 611, 000. Even though the cap is 69m, our cap number is 64,250,000. We still have to get rid of McQuaid to be below that. We don't have a 13th forward or 7th defenseman. Hate to do it. But, might have to deal Kelly and Boychuk to get compliant.

Also, you have to submit a roster of 12 forwards, 6def and 2g before you can use Savvy's LTIR. He can be the 12th forward. But, that makes it even tighter and why I think Kelly and Boychuk will go.

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Marchand hasn't done anything in the playoffs since 2011, he's been a detriment to the team in the playoffs more than he's been an asset. He had a nice ECF last year, that's it. I don't care if he puts up good regular season numbers, it means nothing if you don't do it in the playoffs. Add in all the extra crap and the idiotic penalties, I am so all set with Marchand. Package him with prospects and get a real scoring winger in here.

Yeah, but Chia signed him AFTER he had a brilliant playoff run as one of the key cogs in the B's Stanley Cup Championship. If only you had have leant your crystal ball to Chia back then to let him know that Marchand would struggle in the next few playoffs.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I still think Kelly is the linchpin. Move him, and him alone, and they've got a team that's under the cap.

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,750,000
------

And that's with the full $4,750k cap penalty and giving Krug and Smith hefty raises.

I know that lineup isn't blowing anybody's skirt up, mine included, but as disappointing as it is, could you not say it's better than the team we thought we were starting with last season? I remember last summer some folks thought Soderberg would be back in Sweden by Christmas and that Reilly Smith was brought in to play with Carter Camper and Kelly was locked in as the 3C. But if the team listed above is the team we start with, the new Soderberg is a HUGE upgrade on Kelly as the 3c. Spooner and Fraser are last year's 3rd line unknowns (i.e. Smith/Soder). The D should be better as Dougie and Krug improve... Don't get me wrong, I want to see this team improve but I guess what I'm saying is the team above is the starting point for improvement, it's the worst case scenario, and it's not half bad.

we would never be able to go through a real season with a 21 man roster... you need to find at least a million dollars more to cut and probably realistically... 2 million more to cut

trying to go with a 21 man roster and only 500k to cover day-to-day injuries would guarantee zero wiggle room to make any type of deadline addition. once locked into this mess wed be at everyone's mercy

best to bite the bullet and deal away someone making 4 mill or more now... then use the ability to acquire someone with retained salary or a free agent that would take a bonus contract to replace the depth we are losing

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
we would never be able to go through a real season with a 21 man roster... you need to find at least a million dollars more to cut and probably realistically... 2 million more to cut

trying to go with a 21 man roster and only 500k to cover day-to-day injuries would guarantee zero wiggle room to make any type of deadline addition. once locked into this mess wed be at everyone's mercy

best to bite the bullet and deal away someone making 4 mill or more now... then use the ability to acquire someone with retained salary or a free agent that would take a bonus contract to replace the depth we are losing

Bergy/Chara...............adios friends:sarcasm:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

FORWARDS
DEFENSEMEN
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,750,000
------

what id be worried about too... is next year finding money for new contracts for some very key players...

Hamilton is certainly going into 4 mill per year territory... soderberg is a lock for that too.

then krejci/boychuk need around 3 mill minimum to get them signed too

will the cap go up at least 5 mill?

if we are going to be losing krejci/boychuk anyhow after this year... rather than lose them for nothing, id wish to be proactive and get out in front of this.

I could say soderberg too but moving him does nothing to create short term cap relief.

if we felt marchand/Eriksson weren't fitting... we could deal them instead of krejci/boychuk. its all about finding 2-3 mill in the budget. im not heart set on moving any one particular contract.

if we do move marchand/Eriksson than we need to use the money to resign krejci/boychuk because losing everyone would be a disaster.

theres no easy way out though... moving Kelly by himself isn't enough... moving Kelly and bartowski and mcquaid and thornton and iginla isn't enough...

in fact, moving iginla is counter productive. we would never be able to replace his production for anywhere near 2 mill using some other player. I actually would be in contact with denial alfredsson too using any trick I had to convince him that going back to Detroit is dumber than coming here would be.

I didn't see nearly enough from fraser or ftorek to believe they would outperform borque or caron on our third line as a goto option

our top 2 lines are not dominant to overpower the opposition unless our 3/4 lines win their matchups too. this third line proposed is very likely to be bottom 1/3 in the league and once the 4th line was asked to step up to compensate they likely would be exposed too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00