The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
Why are we Bruin fans so delusional... we were not good enough last year and now we have to get rid of players and we are still a top team in the east??

This team needs to stop being in love with it's own players and understand that we do not compare with the Blackhawks Kings and now Anahiem as well.

This team needs a minor rebuild in hopes of the young players to contribute seriously within 3 years. This means no Iggy and No Chara. The team as it stand snow is not good enough to win and now you wanna trade Marchand and Boychuk and you think we have a chance to win without them?

Do the right thing trade the older guys starting with Chara then Kelly and then Campbell...That's over 10 million dollars and should set us up nicely for the future. That would be the smart move but Chia is in love with his players and it will kill this team for the next few years.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Why are we Bruin fans so delusional... we were not good enough last year and now we have to get rid of players and we are still a top team in the east??

This team needs to stop being in love with it's own players and understand that we do not compare with the Blackhawks Kings and now Anahiem as well.

This team needs a minor rebuild in hopes of the young players to contribute seriously within 3 years. This means no Iggy and No Chara. The team as it stand snow is not good enough to win and now you wanna trade Marchand and Boychuk and you think we have a chance to win without them?

Do the right thing trade the older guys starting with Chara then Kelly and then Campbell...That's over 10 million dollars and should set us up nicely for the future. That would be the smart move but Chia is in love with his players and it will kill this team for the next few years.

"If you disagree with me you're delusional."

That's a great way to start your post.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014

Anybody that wants to trade Chara in my opinion, is delusional.He was 2nd in the Norris voting, he had a compound fracture in his finger. No way we trade him, our win now mode IS the Chara window, which is 4 years. He's going nowhere.

As for Kelly, I hope he gets dealt.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

"Delusional" is the perfect word for someone that thinks Zdeno Chara is a number 3 defenseman.

No, way, delusional isn't the word I meant.

Stupid. The word to describe that idea is stupid. Stupid is the perfect word. I meant stupid. Stupid.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC

You're so close with your post even though you delivered it in a very douchie way. This team was good enough to win last year. Sometimes great teams just don't win. There were a lot of teams good enough to win last year.

You're right in the fact that the Bruins won't be as good next year, but you don't get rid of Chara. No way. That's dumb. The Bruins chances next year might not be as good as this year, but they still have a shot. They'll still make the playoffs. You milk the years you have Chara and a Rask in his prime. You underestimate how great Chara is. And with Rask, if you make the playoffs, you always have a chance to go far. Don't blow it up now. Get the most out of Chara you can before this window completely closes.

David Krejci*

Trading Marchand with a couple of legit prospects for a real scoring winger who isn't going to disappear in the playoffs is exactly what this team needs.

lol at trading Chara. What they need to do, is stop putting so much emphasis on home ice in the playoffs, and their seeding, and actually rest guys down the stretch of the last month of the season instead of running everyone in the ground and then giving them the last game or two of the year off.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I agree - do a reversal starting with trading Chara and even a symbolic deal of Savard. I want to go back to 2007 and cheap seats, season ticket cookouts, carnivals, Eddy's ice cream, the Advisory Board, and free Bruins loge tickets just for getting a 5 game Providence pack. No bathroom lines no one sitting next to you- the only Bruins talk was when The Big Show spoofed on the game and the Bruins. HF boards had about 10 posters. Seven years ago seems like 70.

Trade Chara to Ottawa and bring back Muzz and the Stumpel mullet and I'll be happy

MillerTime 86

So Long Tyler SeQuin
May 11, 2007
On a Rock
I agree - do a reversal starting with trading Chara and even a symbolic deal of Savard. I want to go back to 2007 and cheap seats, season ticket cookouts, carnivals, Eddy's ice cream, the Advisory Board, and free Bruins loge tickets just for getting a 5 game Providence pack. No bathroom lines no one sitting next to you- the only Bruins talk was when The Big Show spoofed on the game and the Bruins. HF boards had about 10 posters. Seven years ago seems like 70.

Trade Chara to Ottawa and bring back Muzz and the Stumpel mullet and I'll be happy

Don't forget Samsonov !!! And maybe Lee Goren could stick this time around :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
put together a mock lineup using a few trade ideas that have been getting tossed about just to see what It might look like

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
michael trades krecji and krug and boychuck and mcquaid and campbell to get cap compliant
FORWARDS
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($3.000m)
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Colin Wilson ($2.000m) / Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Alex Chiasson ($0.867m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Luke Gazdic ($0.750m)
Alexander Khokhlachev ($0.787m) / Bobby Robins ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Roman Josi ($4.000m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Matt Bartkowski ($1.750m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
David Warsofsky ($0.660m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,750,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,692,500; BONUSES: $850,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $2,307,500

the trades I was thinking of were krejci and maybe krug or boychuk if hes willing to extend to Nashville for Wilson/josi. i think we might have to add because josi is very good and on a great contract. its obviously a huge downgrade at center but I think its a significant upgrade on defense over krug as our offensive catalyst guy that can actually play 20-22 mins a night... and a great incoming contract. Wilson was the rumored center piece in the proposed kessel trade so I think boston management likes him and he is only 24 despite seeming like hes been around forever.

once josi is in to play top 4... boychuk does become expendable. im thinking maybe use him to get chiasson and something back from dallas. boston management is rumored to be very high on chiasson. if boychuk is already gone to Nashville than use a pick/prospect. dallas is loaded with guys like chiasson and need a young center.

I think one way or the other both krug and boychuk need to be moved if we get a top 4 guy here with a long term deal that can play with Seidenberg/Hamilton/chara

once we move both guys... it makes more sense to bring bartowski back if his contract is reasonable. he has been improving and is a 20 min per night guy when we play him. im ok with him on the bottom pair

there is no great need to trade mcquaid other than cap management and if we don't bring back bartowski than id keep mcquaid but in my opinion miller is ready to bottom 6 and is a lot cheaper than mcquaid so I think mcquaid moves. Campbell also doesn't have to be dealt either for any special reason other than we don't need both him and Kelly and I guess Kelly is more difficult for us to move.

I want cap room so I can make some deadline moves during the season and try to gear up for a cup run so leaving the cap room here is intentional.

I believe this lineup gives our kids some chance to play but still keeps enough of the core around that we will make the playoffs comfortably. when the cap jumps next season we have room for a lot of improvement.

I think the pieces im adding give good value for the spots im slotting them and maintain depth which is the key to our chances of winning... we win with depth.

id love iginla to take a one year deal and stay too... id be willing to give up the cap space if he was

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008

Well, Kelly and McQuaid didn't play in the playoffs. So, technically you're not losing anyone from the roster. In fact, you're adding a pretty damn good defenseman in Dennis Seidenberg to the team that lost to Montreal. If Iggy takes a similiar deal, a guy like Campbell can be dealt and replaced by Spooner.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Maybe its just me, but I plan on riding that Chara horse into the ground. Once he's gone, we are going to have to reload big time. Sadly after 7 years, I still don't think people realize what Chara does for this team.

Unless you're talking the NHL 14 Chara for Weber/Suter/Doughty/Keith/Pietrangleo/Etc. type trade, he should be going nowhere. We live with him til he's gone.

May 29, 2013
Maybe its just me, but I plan on riding that Chara horse into the ground. Once he's gone, we are going to have to reload big time. Sadly after 7 years, I still don't think people realize what Chara does for this team.

Unless you're talking the NHL 14 Chara for Weber/Suter/Doughty/Keith/Pietrangleo/Etc. type trade, he should be going nowhere. We live with him til he's gone.

I love Chara but sooner rather than later if the Kings would go for it I'd offer up Chara and Marchand for Doughty who in my opinion is the best defenceman in the league and he's got a few good years in him to come.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I love Chara but sooner rather than later if the Kings would go for it I'd offer up Chara and Marchand for Doughty who in my opinion is the best defenceman in the league and he's got a few good years in him to come.

this board really needs a probationary period of some kind that prevents people from posting crap like this....

with that said, WHY WOULD LA TRADE THE BEST DEFENSEMAN IN THE LEAGUE FOR A GUY WHO HAS MAYBE 3 GOOD YEARS LEFT AND A 2ND LINE WINGER THAT THEY DON'T NEED?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Oh for Crissakes.

That's it. I'm done .

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

Why the **** would LA do anything other than laugh at this?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(1) Hamilton and Spooner are not waiver exempt? I thought all ELC's were. I also thought Florek and Fraser would be too, based on how few NHL games they've played.

(2) And if #2 is true, how did the Bruins have a full roster when they sent down two of their 7 defensemen last year in the same type of circumventing transaction?

(1) Hamilton, Spooner and Florek are waiver exempt. Fraser is not as he's starting his 4th year.

There's no causal link between ELCs and waivers.

(2) A maximum roster is 23 players. A minimum roster (with emergency exception) is 20 players. So if they had 22 or 23 years before these 2 D-men were sent down, they still had a "full" roster.

David Krejci*

tumblr_n7qyczUGMh1s8x6tqo2_250.gif

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

This is the song I heard in my head when I read that:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Spooner and Hamilton are exempt from waivers. Hamilton has 22 games before he is waiver eligible

Fraser is not exempt

(1) Hamilton, Spooner and Florek are waiver exempt. Fraser is not as he's starting his 4th year.

There's no causal link between ELCs and waivers.

(2) A maximum roster is 23 players. A minimum roster (with emergency exception) is 20 players. So if they had 22 or 23 years before these 2 D-men were sent down, they still had a "full" roster.

Thanks. And to follow up, I'm guessing that it is true that it is a requirement of LTIR, that you must have a full roster of 20 players in order to put someone on it? Does Savard count as one of those players?

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

as much as I would love for this to happen there is no way L.A does this deal. Chara's best years are behind him while Doughty's are still to come, throwing in Marchand isn't gonna tip the balance here.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Matt Fraser ($0.900m)
Chris Kelly ($3.00m)/ Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Bobby Robins ($0.600m)
Justin Florek/or/Craig Cunningham ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)/ Johnny Boychuk ($3,366,667m)
Torey Krug ($2.000m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
David Warsofsky ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

Sorry, I don't have a calculator handy.

This is as low as I can go. But I'm good with it. Not sure how Iggy's bonus and Savard's LTIR, if applicable, add in.

If we can't afford to ice this team...I'm pretty bummed.

So, I'm getting 63.7 million for this roster...before the team bonuses, which capgeek is saying is 4.75 million...

68.45 million.

Tight. But there.

Now I can sleep.

Crap, I didn't cover the regular bonuses (600k), not just the carry-over...damn...

Now I'm over by like a 100k...

Chia is going to have to get creative.

Last edited:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Chris Kelly's help you win in the playoffs because they adapt.

Iginla, who I was a huuuuuuuuuge fan of as a regular season player, did not adapt to the playoffs, did not show leadership, did not show grit, did not appear to understand what was required.

Kelly ratchets up the battle and the smart play when the team needs it.

Iginla just kind of coasts along and hopes for the best.

If Kelly played, they probably win the series. Kelly will help a team in the playoffs wherever he goes. Iginla very well may not, even if he gets 1st line minutes and pp time.

lol yeah if only we'd had Chris Kelly missing wide open nets that would have put us over the top. If you swap Iginla with Kelly in the playoffs this year we would have been lucky to even see a game 7 with Montreal.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
So, I'm getting 63.7 million for this roster...before the team bonuses, which capgeek is saying 600k...that seems low to me...:dunno:

Anyway, I feel a lot more comfortable now.

No problem.

you are a bit off. use capgeek's team editor. They are automatically adding a 4.75 million cap hit for this year (the bonuses that rolled over). Your estimates for Smith and Krug are also at least a million and a half bucks low between the two of them. No way we get them both for 2 each. And where is McQuaid?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad