The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Problem is Iggy wants a multi year deal.
Also for trades, GMs know the Bs are Cap screwed so we won't get any value in return. Only somebody to take our salary dump for peanuts back.

No way you give Iggy a multi-year deal IMHO.

B's can't afford him..let him walk.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I was assuming Iggy would take the same deal. I doubt he gets his cup if he wants a multi-year deal. We may not win it either. But, we'd have a heckuva lot better chance than any other of his possible destinations.

I think half of the league would be interested in Boychuk. So, there would be some competition for him. I'm not expecting a Top 6 forward. Just a decent player/prospect.

I think Boychuk could bring in a top 6. If we package Kelly in there, it opens up cap space for one. But they would have to be nothing over 4 mill.

David Krejci*

I was assuming Iggy would take the same deal. I doubt he gets his cup if he wants a multi-year deal. We may not win it either. But, we'd have a heckuva lot better chance than any other of his possible destinations.

I think half of the league would be interested in Boychuk. So, there would be some competition for him. I'm not expecting a Top 6 forward. Just a decent player/prospect.

If you trade Boychuk and don't get a top 6 forward, you're wasting yet another year of their closing Cup window, here.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
If you trade Boychuk and don't get a top 6 forward, you're wasting yet another year of their closing Cup window, here.

You're really trading Boychuk for 2 players. Your top goal scorer last year in Iginla. Plus, whatever player we get in return.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I would love for the Bruins to keep Iggy, but NOT if it means damaging the teams future (i.e. trading boychuk, marchand, eriksson, etc). Not worth it.

David Krejci*

You're really trading Boychuk for 2 players. Your top goal scorer last year in Iginla. Plus, whatever player we get in return.

Iginla was terrible in the playoffs and will be another year older and slower. I don't want him back as it is, and I'd throw myself off a bridge if they traded him to keep Iginla.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Iginla was terrible in the playoffs and will be another year older and slower. I don't want him back as it is, and I'd throw myself off a bridge if they traded him to keep Iginla.

He was our leading scorer in the playoffs. 5G in 12 games. Guess we have different interpretations of horrible.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would love for the Bruins to keep Iggy, but NOT if it means damaging the teams future (i.e. trading boychuk, marchand, eriksson, etc). Not worth it.

Boychuck is no more a part of this teams future than Iginla is. They just can't lock up another defenseman into their mid 30s for huge money. After next year Hamilton will move to the 4.5 - 5.5 range, and Johnny B will be gone

In terms of Iginla, he wants to be in Boston, and he wants to be paid like the superstar he was. He has to choose, and it seems he has chosen money. Good luck to him

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No way Boychuck brings a top 6. Not considering his term is up after this year as well as the Bruins have no leverage.

Leverage is having more than one team interested and bidding for a player. I suspect if the Bruins point JB on the market there will be more than one team bidding for his service

And real leverage is the point where there are more buyers than assets available. Right now there are maybe a few defenseman of similar value available or coming in FA, soon JB will be there and there will be no similar alternative

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Leverage is having more than one team interested and bidding for a player. I suspect if the Bruins point JB on the market there will be more than one team bidding for his service

And real leverage is the point where there are more buyers than assets available. Right now there are maybe a few defenseman of similar value available or coming in FA, soon JB will be there and there will be no similar alternative

Ok, I'll play.

What team is going to give the Bruins a legit top 6 forward for equal or importantly less than Boychuck makes and how do you backfill his role with equal talent on the blue line?

What GM is going to be the Bruins benefactor for Johnny Rocket?

Remember JFJ now works for the Bruins.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Hey guys, I'm curious as to why the Bruins didn't compliance Kelly? Is he really a valuable player, or is Boston a budget team?

Which RFAs can we expect to receive offers from the Bruins?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Agreed this team doesn't have me dreaming of a parade.

I do think you are over shooting Smith by 750k.

I don't know Beej.

While I think 3.25 may be high for Smith......if I'm an East GM that has money, likes Smith and wants to **** the Bruins......I consider an offer sheet at 3.3.

All the comp is a second rounder. If the Bruins match they are even more ****ed.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Last year he was of value and the Bruins didn't realize they'd be in Cap hell at that time.

Their crystal ball was cracked.

Ah, I see. That sucks. I'm kinda hoping the Flames can pry away Caron given your guys' circumstances, perhaps even Krug, Bartowski or Smith. I doubt we could afford a trade, but a qualifying offer in the compensation of 3.3 million or less might work.

Unless of course you guys foresee a way of solving this dilemma? I bet the Bruins make some trades for picks or something eh?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Ah, I see. That sucks. I'm kinda hoping the Flames can pry away Caron given your guys' circumstances, perhaps even Krug, Bartowski or Smith. I doubt we could afford a trade, but a qualifying offer in the compensation of 3.3 million or less might work.

Unless of course you guys foresee a way of solving this dilemma? I bet the Bruins make some trades for picks or something eh?

You can have Caron for a bag of ice shavings.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
You can have Caron for a bag of ice shavings.

Why, he's no good? What's this guys' number? I recall he was once a highly touted prospect, and given the Flames are weak on the right, I figured he'd be a guy worth gambling on. Can he skate, shoot, pass and hit?

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Why, he's no good? What's this guys' number? I recall he was once a highly touted prospect, and given the Flames are weak on the right, I figured he'd be a guy worth gambling on. Can he skate, shoot, pass and hit?

He never was able to transfer AHL success to NHL success. A change of scenery may do him good. But in Boston he's a bust.

chrisab123

Feb 9, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Chara dealt for prospects. I honestly can't see him being effective for much longer and was an absolute disaster in the playoffs. That would clear quite a bit of room.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I wouldn't mind seeing Chara dealt for prospects. I honestly can't see him being effective for much longer and was an absolute disaster in the playoffs. That would clear quite a bit of room.

He would bring a lot of prospects.

But he was playing with one broken finger and a second finger literally flayed to the bone.

But excuses aside, if you do trade Chara the message is we have now closed the window and are in rebuild mold. So, you might as well consider a fire sale and forget about any high free agents. Essentially be prepared to be the similar to the Oilers! Canucks, BlueJackets, Stars. Hoping for better tomorrow in the future.

OutspokenMinority*

Chris Kelly's help you win in the playoffs because they adapt.

Iginla, who I was a huuuuuuuuuge fan of as a regular season player, did not adapt to the playoffs, did not show leadership, did not show grit, did not appear to understand what was required.

Kelly ratchets up the battle and the smart play when the team needs it.

Iginla just kind of coasts along and hopes for the best.

If Kelly played, they probably win the series. Kelly will help a team in the playoffs wherever he goes. Iginla very well may not, even if he gets 1st line minutes and pp time.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Reilly Smith ($2.000m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Matt Fraser ($0.900m)
Chris Kelly ($3.00m)/ Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Bobby Robins ($0.600m)
Justin Florek/or/Craig Cunningham ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)/ Johnny Boychuk ($3,366,667m)
Torey Krug ($2.000m) / Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
David Warsofsky ($0.650m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)

Sorry, I don't have a calculator handy.

This is as low as I can go. But I'm good with it. Not sure how Iggy's bonus and Savard's LTIR, if applicable, add in.

If we can't afford to ice this team...I'm pretty bummed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad