The Cap ($69M)... and it's going hurt the Bruins

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
1. They need to be waiver exempt players.
2. They still need to have a full roster after sending those players down.

Those two don't correlate. Hell, they don't even have the capability of #1.

Hamilton and Spooner are not waiver exempt? I thought all ELC's were. I also thought Florek and Fraser would be too, based on how few NHL games they've played.

And if #2 is true, how did the Bruins have a full roster when they sent down two of their 7 defensemen last year in the same type of circumventing transaction?

David Krejci*

He was our leading scorer in the playoffs. 5G in 12 games. Guess we have different interpretations of horrible.

I've already gone over a million times why those 5 goals are a deceiving stat. He was not good in the playoffs.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hamilton and Spooner are not waiver exempt? I thought all ELC's were. I also thought Florek and Fraser would be too, based on how few NHL games they've played.

And if #2 is true, how did the Bruins have a full roster when they sent down two of their 7 defensemen last year in the same type of circumventing transaction?

Spooner and Hamilton are exempt from waivers. Hamilton has 22 games before he is waiver eligible

Fraser is not exempt

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I've already gone over a million times why those 5 goals are a deceiving stat. He was not good in the playoffs.

He wasn't as bad as you say he was. 5 goals is 5 goals and he led the team. No matter how you look at it, if Iginla is gone, it's a big loss.

We'll still be a top 3 team in the East no matter the cap. Plus Seidenberg will be 100%. So Big Z's minutes will be down a few.

Like I've said a billion times, if Eriksson is on the top line, we're not going deep in the postseason. To be honest, I don't even want to give him a chance on the top line. I know it's really unfair, but were in a win now mode. Not a wait to come around mode. Too much of a gamble, and I'm a betting man, I don't think it's worth the chance. Plus, it doesn't help with our speed AND scoring situation. If we have enough cap to keep him on the third line, then GOOD. Even better depth. I like him on the third.

Hopefully this trade deadline PC and Neely are actually active. If Boychuk is dealt this offseason, I expect heavy deadline involvement.

One more thing to add to Boychuk. Again, if he is dealt, it will 110% be for a top 6 winger. Kelly will probably be a throw in. So, it could be a good thing. Good for cap, good upfront. Dougie's is going to get PAID next season. It's looking like we won't have room for JB anyway, and he holds some serious value on the market right now. It is what it is.

With all that said, is it October yet?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Better hope the old Loui Eriksson comes back or this could be a bit of a down year. If he delivers? Fine. If not? I don't see anyone matching the total Iggy put up on that line.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Canuck fan coming in peace: Wanna trade Boychuk and Kelly for Hansen and a future? You'd have a 3RW locked up for 4 years at 2,5mil and would earn cap savings of 3,86mil, would maybe help you secure all the other FA's with no retentions or sweeteners needed?

Looking for an opinion on this. I've watched zero Bruins games last season so I'm genuinely naive and hoping to get your 2 cents on this.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Considering how every GM in the league knows Boston is screwed when it comes to the cap...i'd probably give that proposal a serious thought.

I know Boychuk is probably worth more, but at this point teams aren't going to offer anything much more than that for him...And Kelly, well, he's pretty much toxic given his contract.

I like Hansen and he'd probably fit in here no problem (plus he'd go a long way in injecting some speed into the line up.) Curious to see what other people will say.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Better hope the old Loui Eriksson comes back or this could be a bit of a down year. If he delivers? Fine. If not? I don't see anyone matching the total Iggy put up on that line.

Do you remember the few games that Loui played on the line filling in for Jarome? It was pretty damn good. I know he had a 4 pointer in one of them and the line looked if not the the most dangerest it looked all year, pretty damn close. We didn't see everything that Loui can do this year.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Canuck fan coming in peace: Wanna trade Boychuk and Kelly for Hansen and a future? You'd have a 3RW locked up for 4 years at 2,5mil and would earn cap savings of 3,86mil, would maybe help you secure all the other FA's with no retentions or sweeteners needed?

Looking for an opinion on this. I've watched zero Bruins games last season so I'm genuinely naive and hoping to get your 2 cents on this.

Hansen will never be welcome in a Bruins uniform.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Honestly there is chance the Bruins might consider something like this

What it boils down to is, how do the Bruins view Kelly. Clearly many fans view him as a real problem on the team which must be dealt with. I am not sure management views him this way.

Honestly I see Kelly's injury as the main reason the Bruins didn't play LA for the cup. If Kelly plays vs Montreal, the Penalty kill isn't a train wreck and the Bruins win that series.

That said I still move him if I can.

In terms of the offer, the futures would need to be something of significant value for me to consider. Hansen is a quicker, but less effective Kelly type. So you save 1 mil to downgrade the position, and throw Johnny B n as a Sweatener

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
In terms of the offer, the futures would need to be something of significant value for me to consider. Hansen is a quicker, but less effective Kelly type. So you save 1 mil to downgrade the position, and throw Johnny B n as a Sweatener

I'd welcome a high-salary veteran, older 4th liner and a Hansen downgrade for him in a deal like this, but if what you're saying about Kelly's value is true, I doubt this trade would work then. I consider Hansen to be a great third-liner, so if you'll market Kelly as an upgrade over him, it's counter productive to what Vancouver should do in a salary dump -trade - which is to either upgrade a Top-6 winger spot or get a 2nd pairing RD to play with Edler.

Thanks for the responses though!

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Here is what the Bruins should do...

1) Keep the D together. With Rask in net and a D consisting of Chara, Hamilton, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Krug, Miller, McQuaid this team is set to be contenders for the Jennings with least goals against in the league. They can move Bartkowski for a prospect or pick or to sweeten another deal.

2) Keep Eriksson and play him on the 1st or 2nd line. He is a great player who just had a rough year. 2 concussions didn't help. 3rd line ice time didn't help. Play him with Bergeron or Krejci and he will be worth his contract. Remember - he is a Selke type player who can get points. Not easy to find.

3) I would say the solution is to move Marchand to the west. That frees up the $4M we need to be cap compliant. Also gives us no excuses when it comes to being a team that has "shenanigans" or plays "unfair" etc....

4) Move Kelly. Somehow, some way got to get this money freed up.

5) Move on from Caron.

That leaves a forward group of:

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
X - Bergeron - Smith
X - Soderberg - X
Paille - Campbell - X

2 of those spots can be filled by guys like Spooner, Khoko, Fraser, Florek, Lindblad...and 1 of these guys can be the 13th forward. The other 2, pick up some guys via the trade market for Marchand, Kelly, Caron and Bartkowski....obviously they have to cost about $2-3M per.

My question is: Is there any way Krug and Smith can be dealt with AFTER opening day and slide in to the $4M+ that is Savvy's LTIR?

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Here is my roster for opening day:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014-15
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($2.667m)
Alexander Khokhlachev ($0.787m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Matt Fraser ($0.688m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Justin Florek ($0.660m)
Marc Savard ($4.027m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) / Torey Krug ($2.667m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,750,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,057,144; BONUSES: $817,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $942,856

Then after opening day, Savvy moves to LTIR, leaving us with $5M to acquire a winger before the trading deadline for prospects.

This makes us cap compliant. This gives the young guys ice time to prove their worth and give them NHL experience. This also gets us into a playoff spot. Lindblad, Ferlin, Warsofsky and Morrow can also get some time on the team.

Move MARCHAND, BARTKOWSKI, CARON and KELLY before the season. Pick up a couple decent players OR prospects and picks.

Last edited:

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Here is my roster for opening day:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
2014-15
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($2.667m)
Alexander Khokhlachev ($0.787m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Matt Fraser ($0.688m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Justin Florek ($0.660m)
Marc Savard ($4.027m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Adam McQuaid ($1.567m) / Torey Krug ($2.667m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,750,000
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,057,144; BONUSES: $817,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $942,856

Then after opening day, Savvy moves to LTIR, leaving us with $5M to acquire a winger before the trading deadline for prospects.

This makes us cap compliant. This gives the young guys ice time to prove their worth and give them NHL experience. This also gets us into a playoff spot. Lindblad, Ferlin, Warsofsky and Morrow can also get some time on the team.

Move MARCHAND, BARTKOWSKI, CARON and KELLY before the season. Pick up a couple decent players OR prospects and picks.

Ya works, but they won't move Marchy

David Krejci*

Abso****inglutely not, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

It's not awful, I just don't like Hansen. If the "future" is a good not great prospect or a 2nd round pick or so it's probably fair value ish. I personally wouldn't go for it, but its not outlandish I don't think.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Boychuk had a heck of a year and is a bargain at this price. If Boston wants to go for it and I was GM I don't deal Boychuk unless my team gets better right now from the deal. My idea of big games and having the 2014-5 equivalent of Steven Kampfer is not that wins Cups. Johnny Boychuk in your top 4 wins Cups.

David Krejci*

It's not awful, I just don't like Hansen. If the "future" is a good not great prospect or a 2nd round pick or so it's probably fair value ish. I personally wouldn't go for it, but its not outlandish I don't think.

Outside of the fact that we all vehemently hate Hansen (and rightfully so) and that I would light myself on fire if he ever wore a Bruin uniform, it's still not a good deal.

Boychuk can not be part of a cap dump, which is what that would be. Hansen is a serviceable 3rd line player, but dealing Boychuk leaves us with a gaping hole in our top 4 d that nobody here can fill.

The only Boychuk trade scenario that makes any sense, is part of a package that brings back a legit top 6 winger, and not someone like David Perron. Someone who would make it worth it to create that hole in the top 4. Other than that, if you trade Boychuk as a cap dump, or for less than that type of winger, you are kissing all of your Cup chances goodbye this year, he's that important.

You might say "Boychuk isn't enough to get a player like that", well then he won't be traded, period. There are many other options that don't involve trading Boychuk to get the Bruins out of their cap jail here. They WILL find a suitor for Kelly, he has a lot of value as a player, despite what a lot of idiots on here think. Yes he's had injury issues for the last couple of seasons, but he is a good player and as long as he's medically cleared, many teams will be bidding for his services.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
Outside of the fact that we all vehemently hate Hansen (and rightfully so) and that I would light myself on fire if he ever wore a Bruin uniform, it's still not a good deal.

Boychuk can not be part of a cap dump, which is what that would be. Hansen is a serviceable 3rd line player, but dealing Boychuk leaves us with a gaping hole in our top 4 d that nobody here can fill.

The only Boychuk trade scenario that makes any sense, is part of a package that brings back a legit top 6 winger, and not someone like David Perron. Someone who would make it worth it to create that hole in the top 4. Other than that, if you trade Boychuk as a cap dump, or for less than that type of winger, you are kissing all of your Cup chances goodbye this year, he's that important.

You might say "Boychuk isn't enough to get a player like that", well then he won't be traded, period. There are many other options that don't involve trading Boychuk to get the Bruins out of their cap jail here. They WILL find a suitor for Kelly, he has a lot of value as a player, despite what a lot of idiots on here think. Yes he's had injury issues for the last couple of seasons, but he is a good player and as long as he's medically cleared, many teams will be bidding for his services.

Not that I think the Garrison deal necessarily sets the price, the return wasn't outstanding for a pretty similar player in Garrison.

Hansen's not without value plus a decent pick and taking a cap dump in Kelly, the value isn't that far off.

I'm not advocating moving JB at all, I'd much rather keep him if nothing of much value is coming back. Just saying if he is moved, I don't see the guys proposal being all that far off in terms of what the return could be.

David Krejci*

Not that I think the Garrison deal necessarily sets the price, the return wasn't outstanding for a pretty similar player in Garrison.

Hansen's not without value plus a decent pick and taking a cap dump in Kelly, the value isn't that far off.

I'm not advocating moving JB at all, I'd much rather keep him if nothing of much value is coming back. Just saying if he is moved, I don't see the guys proposal being all that far off in terms of what the return could be.

I've seen people bring up the Garrison thing. First of all, Garrison can't hold Boychuk's jock. Boychuk's value is what it is because of how much he elevates his game in the playoffs. Garrison has better regular season stats, but if you don't ramp it up in the playoffs, all of that is useless.

Secondly, the Canucks are in a completely different position from the Bruins. The Canucks are a re-building team, they're supposed to get futures and draft picks for their veteran players. If the Bruins do that, they are all but kissing a chance at the Cup goodbye for this year, and that is not an exaggeration.

They are two completely different scenarios and people have to stop comparing them. They're both guys who can contribute offensively, but Boychuk brings a physical element to his game that Garrison does not, and I trust Boychuk a lot more defensively than I would Garrison. Boychuk is a definitive notch higher than Garrison in terms of value. But like I said, the two organizations are at completely different ends of the spectrum, one is rebuilding, one is doing everything they possibly can to win right now.

I said Hansen's a serviceable 3rd line player. Serviceable 3rd line players are a dime a dozen, Boychuk is a unique player, and they can find someone else to take Kelly's cap dump. A move centered around Vancouver taking Kelly's cap dump, involving Boychuk and with Hansen coming back, is a salary-based trade. Boychuk will not be moved in a salary based trade, it will be a hockey trade or nothing.

He wasn't terrible, not great, but better than Krejci :sarcasm:
If you're just looking at the stats, yeah. But if you actually watched the games, even Krejci looked better than Iginla. And that's saying something, because Krejci didn't look good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad