OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’d like to see them remaster IX, such a great game. X and X-2 weren’t games I fell in love with.

When the hell are they going to announce the date for VII?? It’s been like 3 years since the trailer at E3!

Have no idea, it seems to keep getting pushed back.

But yeah FF IX was more enjoyable than I thought from back in the day and really like the characters.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Anyone playing Sekiro?

I loved bloodborne (even if it made me want to throw my PS4 out of a window) and don't know if I want to put myself through that again with another From Software game.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Anyone playing Sekiro?

I loved bloodborne (even if it made me want to throw my PS4 out of a window) and don't know if I want to put myself through that again with another From Software game.
I am, it’s really really hard at first, harder than blood borne or any of the souls games, but only because they essentially got rid of dodge rolling to avoid attacks, once your break yourself out of that habit it gets a lot easier and way more fun

Edit: oh, there’s also a lot more checkpoints than any of the other Fromsoft games, so that helps

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeahhh the dodge roll was like my go to with bloodborne so that is going to be a problem for me.

I'll end up picking it up eventually and will probably end up loving it after hating it my entire playthrough.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Yeahhh the dodge roll was like my go to with bloodborne so that is going to be a problem for me.

I'll end up picking it up eventually and will probably end up loving it after hating it my entire playthrough.
I drove my head against the wall for hours because I got so good at dodge rolling in the other games and now you kind have to stand there and deflect attacks or do a side step or jump to dodge these undeflectable attacks enemies do, the game kind of clicked into place for me once I made a conscious effort to stop doing what I would do for those other games and just do what this game wanted me to do

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I’d like to see them remaster IX, such a great game. X and X-2 weren’t games I fell in love with.

When the hell are they going to announce the date for VII?? It’s been like 3 years since the trailer at E3!

'Re-Everything' for 7, 8, and 9 please!!!

I stopped checking any updates for 7 at this point, when it comes out I'll know about it. Got too annoying waiting months to hear something only to either find out it was delayed further or just a rehash of the last announcement.

FF in general, I felt the spirit left the series once 10 came around and it's been struggling to identify itself since. Alot of ppl love 10, but for me the game and story started to feel extremely linear, I was just going forward to trigger events versus exploring a whole world and living the MC's life. Having Tidus and Yuna hook up about half way through, while pretty different and cool, was also a little out of left field and kind of gave that closure wayyyy too early.

Very possible that my 'growing up' played a role in how I experienced it but I played 10 pretty close to when I played 9 and the feels from 10 didn't come close to 9, though I had fun playing it.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Finished up Mass Effect Andromeda.

Flawed game for sure, and maybe not an all-time great. But I felt it was underappreciated.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

I stopped checking any updates for 7 at this point, when it comes out I'll know about it. Got too annoying waiting months to hear something only to either find out it was delayed further or just a rehash of the last announcement.

FF in general, I felt the spirit left the series once 10 came around and it's been struggling to identify itself since. Alot of ppl love 10, but for me the game and story started to feel extremely linear, I was just going forward to trigger events versus exploring a whole world and living the MC's life. Having Tidus and Yuna hook up about half way through, while pretty different and cool, was also a little out of left field and kind of gave that closure wayyyy too early.

Very possible that my 'growing up' played a role in how I experienced it but I played 10 pretty close to when I played 9 and the feels from 10 didn't come close to 9, though I had fun playing it.
VI (III) and VII were probably the peak IMO. Disc 1 of VIII was pretty great, but it went off the rails completely after that. If the Dollet exam was a self-contained game where you go for the highest score I'd probably have played it a tonne. Never played IX for some reason and X put me off the series completely, though Be a GM mode in Blitzball 2002 was a lot of fun.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina

Flawed game for sure, and maybe not an all-time great. But I felt it was underappreciated.
usd84mVnsqW2iatGoBFziU.jpg

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
VI (III) and VII were probably the peak IMO. Disc 1 of VIII was pretty great, but it went off the rails completely after that. If the Dollet exam was a self-contained game where you go for the highest score I'd probably have played it a tonne. Never played IX for some reason and X put me off the series completely, though Be a GM mode in Blitzball 2002 was a lot of fun.
You should give 9 a go, way better than 10 as I mentioned but I agree about blitzball, I went balls to the wall with GM mode which was fun and different.

ff8 was my first RPG. I came from Crash Bandicoot Warped, about to give up on gaming due to boredom, and someone mentioned FF series to me. Gave the newest one a go (FF8 at the time) and was hooked. The first two discs are the best storywise before it gets twisted with time warps. The world itself though was so much fun to explore somewhat at your own pace and leisure. The GF battle system/level up system was super convoluted and new/different and it required too many boring tutorials I ended up skipping, but it was very rewarding once mastered.

I never played any of the one's prior to 7, but if they ever remake/remaster them I'll give it a go. The sprites in 7 were a big shock after playing through 8 prior.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I enjoyed 10 a lot, and loved 12 even more for some reason. The hunts were a lot of fun in that game, plus the voice acting was better, and though the characters were more interesting.

But I get it, I am finishing up FF IX now, and it went back to the more classic feel and really forgot how much I enjoyed that game back in the day.

Reactions: romba

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Imperator Rome in a little over a week, can't wait for a new paradox grand strategy game

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I enjoyed 10 a lot, and loved 12 even more for some reason. The hunts were a lot of fun in that game, plus the voice acting was better, and though the characters were more interesting.

But I get it, I am finishing up FF IX now, and it went back to the more classic feel and really forgot how much I enjoyed that game back in the day.
Omg you reminded of the horrible voice acting once the PS2 came out and all games pretty much made the switch over. Really hard to get into a game with the MC sounding like only one ball dropped and the other will do so any day. I told myself to give it a chance and eventually you don't notice it every sentence but it really ruined the experience. For FFX I would have preferred an option to turn off individual voices and would ban Tidus.

Interesting regarding 12, I enjoyed it too (never ended up finishing it though). I appreciated the effort to try to recapture the old spirit in the exploration of the world and semi-time based battle system. 13 was back to the super linear mode and force fed the too-convoluted story again.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Omg you reminded of the horrible voice acting once the PS2 came out and all games pretty much made the switch over. Really hard to get into a game with the MC sounding like only one ball dropped and the other will do so any day. I told myself to give it a chance and eventually you don't notice it every sentence but it really ruined the experience. For FFX I would have preferred an option to turn off individual voices and would ban Tidus.

Interesting regarding 12, I enjoyed it too (never ended up finishing it though). I appreciated the effort to try to recapture the old spirit in the exploration of the world and semi-time based battle system. 13 was back to the super linear mode and force fed the too-convoluted story again.

I thought 12 looked very good graphics wise, music was good, and also really liked the characters. I did not mind the new battle system either.

Reactions: romba

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I have no qualms that Skyrim is a great game. Millions of people adore it (my nephews included).

For some reason I just can't quite get going on it. I think it's the fact I come from an older generation of TES gamers; I've spent so many thousands of hours on those games.

I have the same problem with The Witcher 3. I've played from the tutorial to the first town like 4 times and have petered out every time. I loved the 1st two Witcher games.

Don't give up on the Witcher 3. It's fantastic. Game of the generation, whatever, it deserves every accolade.

This is from someone who probably played 1000 hours of Oblivion and 500+ hours of Skyrim.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Don't give up on the Witcher 3. It's fantastic. Game of the generation, whatever, it deserves every accolade.

This is from someone who probably played 1000 hours of Oblivion and 500+ hours of Skyrim.

Yeah, I shouldn't. Need to go back to that one and just push through.

I just re-started FF 7. It takes me about 5 seconds to get back into old school with that game. I love it.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Anyone playing Sekiro?

Loving Sekiro. Big From Software supporter. Taking my time with it as well. Trying to grind out all 50+ mini bosses and main bosses. Really trying to explore the arts and skill trees. For those of you that are playing, stop at the Gun Fort Idol and you can do a farming run there for massive amounts of XP. That spot got me so many skills.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

I played like 4 hours of it and then never picked it up again, though I’m willing to admit I’m the problem. I just never loved how any of the Mass Effect games felt to play

Reactions: romba and Nickmo82

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I played like 4 hours of it and then never picked it up again, though I’m willing to admit I’m the problem. I just never loved how any of the Mass Effect games felt to play

They are all about momentum. Some games you can put down for a year, pick them right up and feel at home. I don't know if the ME series is like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad