OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yeah I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old, full time job, house, spouse, etc. All demand time. I bought RDR2 on release day. I still haven’t beaten the epilogue (though I have finished the main story).

It’s a massive time sink, deliberately. I understand people with kids who say they just don’t have time for it.

But I still think it’s a great game that if you CAN find time to play, you should.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I tried Horizon Zero Dawn... and while it looks stunning on my 4k TV, I was bored. Very bored. :dunno:

I felt exactly the same way. It looks fantastic but nothing compelled me to keep going. I got a little bit into the part when she's grown up and just never went back.

Sometimes it's hard to put a finger on these things.

There's a game called Ryse that everyone seemed to hate but I lOVED that game. I played it non-stop until the final vengeance. Great experience for me (also a stunning looking game).

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old, full time job, house, spouse, etc. All demand time. I bought RDR2 on release day. I still haven’t beaten the epilogue (though I have finished the main story).

It’s a massive time sink, deliberately. I understand people with kids who say they just don’t have time for it.

But I still think it’s a great game that if you CAN find time to play, you should.
I feel this.

I got RDR2 for Christmas and I've played through maybe only the first 3 or 4 missions. Between work, job interviews (would be for a promotion, but still), wife, an almost one year old at home, and maintaining said home, I'm lucky if I get 2 or 3 hours a week to play video games.

90% of the time I play I'm already so tired that I just put NHL in the console and go to franchise mode and sit on my ass and hit the sim button.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
RDR2 has no replay value and a lot of the rewards systems in the game are useless. I’m disappointed in it cause it’s a beautiful game with a lot going on, but if you don’t like hunting there’s no reason to play after you beat it.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
RDR2 has no replay value and a lot of the rewards systems in the game are useless. I’m disappointed in it cause it’s a beautiful game with a lot going on, but if you don’t like hunting there’s no reason to play after you beat it.

Red Dead, much like most open world games, become replayable a few years after you end up beating them. You spend so much time on them that you eventually have to give it a break in order to go through them again.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Red Dead, much like most open world games, become replayable a few years after you end up beating them. You spend so much time on them that you eventually have to give it a break in order to go through them again.

That was true for me and GTA4, but I don’t see it for me and RDR2. The new model is for online gameplay and I don’t do that. The repetetiveness of RDR2 is what will stop me from replaying it. I think it’s very similar to MGS5 in that it’s a beautiful game with ridiculous amounts of customization but no real purpose to do anything.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Honest Question: Do the LoL forums have paid shills answering very obvious complaint questions?

Every time I read threads on any of the main LoL boards , I feel as if a lot of the responses are gaslighting.

Has anyone noticed this? I wouldn't put it pass their spyware current parent company to do things like that.

I know some of it is fanboyism, and I also know there are a lot of "baddies" who won't just "git gud", but improvement aside , a good portion of the gripes players have with the game are absolutely correct, yet 90% of the responses are always laughingly dishonest that I start to feel as if I'm being gaslit.

Seriously spooked.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
About 10 hours into my first Witcher 3 playthrough. Holy snikes is this game good!

Best game I’ve played in 5+ years. I liked it more than Breath of the Wild even.

And it never ends. Once you finally make it through the colossal story there’s easily 25+ hours in the DLC, which is probably the best ever released for a video game.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I'm realllll late to the party on this one but any Persona 5 players in here? Had it since launch but never touched it until now. I'm obsessed with it so far.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I started playing Funal Fantasy X this weekend. I’ve always wanted to play it, but for some reason I never got around to it. I feel like I’m decently far into it, but probably not that far in the grand scheme of things, it’s fun, but man there’s soooo many cutscenes

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I started playing Funal Fantasy X this weekend. I’ve always wanted to play it, but for some reason I never got around to it. I feel like I’m decently far into it, but probably not that far in the grand scheme of things, it’s fun, but man there’s soooo many cutscenes
I hope you are playing the PS4 remaster. If not, you are missing out on A LOT of post game content.

I go back and forth but more often than not, FFX makes it in my top 5 of all time. In my opinion (without spoiling anything), it has the best music of any FF game, the remaster has a great deal of post game content, I absolutely loved Blitzball, the battle system (at the time) was a refreshing change that didn't completely move away from traditional FF battle systems, and most of all, I generally liked all the characters. The only downside is that some of the cut scenes can be a bit cringe worthy.

The only piece of advice I will give you, make sure you use the destruction sphere at each temple. One particular temple you can only access once and should you miss it, you will not be able to acquire arguably the most powerful aeon in the game. As far as I know, that is truly the only permanently missable thing in FFX and it is a big one.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I hope you are playing the PS4 remaster. If not, you are missing out on A LOT of post game content.

I go back and forth but more often than not, FFX makes it in my top 5 of all time. In my opinion (without spoiling anything), it has the best music of any FF game, the remaster has a great deal of post game content, I absolutely loved Blitzball, the battle system (at the time) was a refreshing change that didn't completely move away from traditional FF battle systems, and most of all, I generally liked all the characters. The only downside is that some of the cut scenes can be a bit cringe worthy.

The only piece of advice I will give you, make sure you use the destruction sphere at each temple. One particular temple you can only access once and should you miss it, you will not be able to acquire arguably the most powerful aeon in the game. As far as I know, that is truly the only permanently missable thing in FFX and it is a big one.
I am playing the remaster on PS4, and I didn’t get the destruction sphere in the very first temple because I didn’t realize that if I pushed the pedastle into the slot it would move me on right away, so I hope that’s not the temple you’re referring to. But even if it is, I’m not far enough where I’d actually be upset starting over (I just got Riku as a full time party member).

Overall I’m not exactly loving like half the characters, but I’m really enjoying playing it so far. Definitely agreed on blitzball and the combat system, any time I’ve grinded for stuff, it hasn’t fully felt like any sort of grind, so I’m really looking forward to getting into the later game stuff at some point

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I am playing the remaster on PS4, and I didn’t get the destruction sphere in the very first temple because I didn’t realize that if I pushed the pedastle into the slot it would move me on right away, so I hope that’s not the temple you’re referring to. But even if it is, I’m not far enough where I’d actually be upset starting over (I just got Riku as a full time party member).

Overall I’m not exactly loving like half the characters, but I’m really enjoying playing it so far. Definitely agreed on blitzball and the combat system, any time I’ve grinded for stuff, it hasn’t fully felt like any sort of grind, so I’m really looking forward to getting into the later game stuff at some point

It isn't. I mean, it wouldn't exactly be a huge spoiler if I told you, but like I said, you just don't want to miss it. It is actually in last 1/3rd of the game.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
It isn't. I mean, it wouldn't exactly be a huge spoiler if I told you, but like I said, you just don't want to miss it. It is actually in last 1/3rd of the game.
Yeah, once I got a magic sphere or whatever it was from the second temple I figured that I didn’t miss anything all that important, but sometimes with these gigantic games you can walk right pass something incredibly important that you’ll never be able to get again.

By the way.

I. Am. Ready.

Also pretty excited for this

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Yeah, once I got a magic sphere or whatever it was from the second temple I figured that I didn’t miss anything all that important, but sometimes with these gigantic games you can walk right pass something incredibly important that you’ll never be able to get again.

Also pretty excited for this

Those are actually pretty useful early on.

If you decide you want to know which temple it is, see below

Bevelle

I am super excited to see what E3 has to offer for FF7.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I’ve been excited for a FF7 remake for the better part of the last decade.

At this point I’ll believe it when I see it.
That is a strange comment to make (timing wise) given that they just released a trailer and said they will be doing a huge reveal at E3. If it was a few weeks ago, I would understand given the complete lack of information for a few years.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
My bold guess is FF7RM will be a PS5 title. They have no reason to continue pushing the PS4 with PS5 most likely slated for a late 2020 release. I just don't see them "wasting" such an enormously anticipated title to sell a 6-7 year old console that has twice as many units moved compared to the Xbox One. Second bold guess is the E3 reveal will be saying they'll release like 2-3 episodes together to start.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So I’m playing FFX for the switch. I hate the Chocobo race with the balloons. I did it years ago why should I do it again for Tidus’ special weapon? Also notice no one says his name except for a Dialogue at Kilika pier.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That is a strange comment to make (timing wise) given that they just released a trailer and said they will be doing a huge reveal at E3. If it was a few weeks ago, I would understand given the complete lack of information for a few years.

Yup, get all that. And I remember the 2015 tease, and the 2017 footage, and the 2018 footage, to go along with the 2019 footage.

Now let’s see a release date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad