OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
FFVIII was the first FF game I ever completed. Think I'm gonna go for the Remaster once i'm done with VII:R. Or maybe i'll try Tactics (never played it)
Tactics is one of my faves. It's definitely a different game that the numbered FFs. I rented it when it came out, but didn't play it through until they did the re-release. There was a global shortage of the game for a long while.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Tactics is one of my faves. It's definitely a different game that the numbered FFs. I rented it when it came out, but didn't play it through until they did the re-release. There was a global shortage of the game for a long while.
Tactics had the highest replay content imo. It’s a game I beat over and over, simply because of the amazing amount of jobs. That, and the story was terrific as well.

Vandal Hearts was another exceptional strategy rpg for the PS1 as well.

Not sure if developers can successfully implement a turn based game nowadays though. It’ll be weird.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Never played Tactics, but I always hear good things about it.
Tried to get into the 2d games, but never finished any.

VII - yes, yes, we all know.
VIII - technically on par with FFVII imo. Underrated I feel in the community.
X - another masterpiece
XII - didn't 100% complete this one. But it was still another great entry.

I think for me, it comes down to the message of the games and the musical score.
I was hooked from the first tune I heard and the games will never cease to make me emotional.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Never played Tactics, but I always hear good things about it.
Tried to get into the 2d games, but never finished any.

VII - yes, yes, we all know.
VIII - technically on par with FFVII imo. Underrated I feel in the community.
X - another masterpiece
XII - didn't 100% complete this one. But it was still another great entry.

I think for me, it comes down to the message of the games and the musical score.
I was hooked from the first tune I heard and the games will never cease to make me emotional.
VIII is definitely underrated and IX is overrated a bit. I mean i like it, a lot, but a lot of people hold as the absolute best FF game which, nah son no way.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
VIII is definitely underrated and IX is overrated a bit. I mean i like it, a lot, but a lot of people hold as the absolute best FF game which, nah son no way.

IX had terrific characters though the Story and world were just ok.
X was the exact opposite for me. Story was cool as hell but the characters were meh.... aside from Auron.

VIII was one of those games that you really had to power through the first half of it to get to the good stuff. Not a ton of people had the patience for it.

X has maybe the most underrated soundtrack of all time though. the Via Purifico theme is a masterpiece.

Edit: f*** Jules and the pull up challenge. How the f*** am I supposed to get 40+?!?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
IX had terrific characters though the Story and world were just ok.
X was the exact opposite for me. Story was cool as hell but the characters were meh.... aside from Auron.

VIII was one of those games that you really had to power through the first half of it to get to the good stuff. Not a ton of people had the patience for it.

X has maybe the most underrated soundtrack of all time though. the Via Purifico theme is a masterpiece.

Edit: f*** Jules and the pull up challenge. How the f*** am I supposed to get 40+?!?

Dude I lost 43-44 once thats the best I could do. I gave up on that.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Remake is an incredibly surreal experience. I keep thinking about me playing this game at 14 and fleshing things out that I saw to what I’m seeing now. It does so much to respect the original while being it’s own thing. And the music is what is really getting me. It’s perfect. The combat, I want to figure it out and I want to be good at it. It’s definitely reminiscent of Kingdom hearts but obviously more fleshed out. And it just looks beautiful. Also, crazy that Advent Children came out so long ago. The models in comparison to that are like playing it. Which, is required watching for FF7 fans.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Remake is an incredibly surreal experience. I keep thinking about me playing this game at 14 and fleshing things out that I saw to what I’m seeing now. It does so much to respect the original while being it’s own thing. And the music is what is really getting me. It’s perfect. The combat, I want to figure it out and I want to be good at it. It’s definitely reminiscent of Kingdom hearts but obviously more fleshed out. And it just looks beautiful. Also, crazy that Advent Children came out so long ago. The models in comparison to that are like playing it. Which, is required watching for FF7 fans.

I hated Advent Children...

But for anyone who hasnt started FF7R yet, please watch AC first.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

As many breathtaking tracks there are in that entire franchise, the score of FFX* is pretty much non-stop goose bumps for me.

"Seymour battle theme" is pretty much the best track in all of FF imo. "A Fleeting Dream", "Auron's theme" ... ahhh so many emotions.

*good lord the OG version, not that "remastered" shit ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad