So Fedorov is fired in the KHL, is there any chance he'll get job in the NHL?

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Yeah, that would be a good place for a prospective Euro to start. Expecting to get handed a job at the highest level isn't the way to go about it, because it's not going to happen. At some point a Euro will come over here and 'play the game' and then we will see how it works out for them, hopefully well.

It'll be interesting to see who the first Euro to come over and give up the entitlement they have in their homeland to actually put in the work will be. You would think there would be a few, but there aren't, The term we use here is 'fat and happy'.
Lots of hockey exits outside the North America and it is not entirely unreasonable for coaches with long track record from professional leagues to be primarily interested in roles that are upgrades to their current gig, which would mean assistant or head coach positions in the NHL, maybe on the AHL.

Now, there are up and coming coaches that may accept lower level North American leagues as reasonable stepping stone in their career, especially as it is quite evident that NHL managements are not willing to take a risk and bring in a coach without any prior experience from the North America. Jussi Ahokas is doing exactly this and I understand that his work with Kitchener Rangers has been praised.

FinnGoalie

Jul 24, 2007
Yeah, that would be a good place for a prospective Euro to start. Expecting to get handed a job at the highest level isn't the way to go about it, because it's not going to happen. At some point a Euro will come over here and 'play the game' and then we will see how it works out for them, hopefully well.

It'll be interesting to see who the first Euro to come over and give up the entitlement they have in their homeland to actually put in the work will be. You would think there would be a few, but there aren't, The term we use here is 'fat and happy'.
Who is expecting to "get handed a job at the highest level" and what exactly is this entitlement you speak of?
You happily make it sound like there is no competent hockey played or understanding of the game outside of NA plus the people who have been working with the high level game for all their lives have zero credentials, and are just generally mailing it in.

Also, in many cases, these people actually have deep expericence and a pretty good understanding of NA hockey even though they might be working in Europe or are just born in Europe. You'd be surprised to learn the level of education, experience and tactical prowess most of the top euro coaches have.

Based on what you just said above, I don't know what's your take on the credentials of the likes of Marty St-Louis or Mike Sullivan to becoming a NHL coach? Or, on the other hand, would you agree with the notion that great player =/= great coach?

So, what is you ideal (and tenable) resume to being a NHL coach?
Is it "X years coaching in NA, whatever the league is" or "X years as as an NHL player" or "Pro coach education" or something else? What is the point when a non-NA born coach isn't considered "fat and happy" anymore when hired?

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Not sure if I would want him to coach. I do believe he could be a decent coach but I don't want the Wings to be a similar old boys club like the Oilers were.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Not sure if I would want him to coach. I do believe he could be a decent coach but I don't want the Wings to be a similar old boys club like the Oilers were.

Yeah, they should retire Larkin and make him their head coach, and then nobody will accuse them in promoting old boys club traditions.

Dec 29, 2004
In this case "doing the work" means .... doing the same job he currently does in his home country, but now at a lower level of pay/prestige.

The AHL and the NCAA are inferior to both the KHL and the SHL. Might even be inferior to the NL these days. The NCAA are below most 2nd tier European leagues.

You happily make it sound like there is no competent hockey played or understanding of the game outside of NA plus the people who have been working with the high level game for all their lives have zero credentials, and are just generally mailing it in.
I am actually amazed by this thread. For the longest time I 'assumed' Americans had a greater sense of 'Entitlement' than Europeans. I was wrong...

• Wow
Reactions: mattihp

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
I am actually amazed by this thread. For the longest time I 'assumed' Americans had a greater sense of 'Entitlement' than Europeans. I was wrong...

'Entitlement' is the exact definition of the NHL Good Old Boys Coaching Club.

It's why coaches are recycled ad nauseam. And for the few who get it you don't even have to pay your dues (St. Louis, Sullivan). Just be a good old North American boy.

It's the only aspect of our game still espousing Don Cherry-like thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I think like a team like Utah could use him I think his falling out with the wings means he probably wont comeback.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
f114d4da218225cfa016f6883648308bf6c75bad8adf222035df4efb059cab64.png

He looks like a pirate.
This guy could be in every original FX series.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Who is expecting to "get handed a job at the highest level" and what exactly is this entitlement you speak of?

Also, in many cases, these people actually have deep expericence and a pretty good understanding of NA hockey even though they might be working in Europe or are just born in Europe. You'd be surprised to learn the level of education, experience and tactical prowess most of the top euro coaches have.

Based on what you just said above, I don't know what's your take on the credentials of the likes of Marty St-Louis or Mike Sullivan to becoming a NHL coach? Or, on the other hand, would you agree with the notion that great player =/= great coach?

So, what is you ideal (and tenable) resume to being a NHL coach?
Is it "X years coaching in NA, whatever the league is" or "X years as as an NHL player" or "Pro coach education" or something else? What is the point when a non-NA born coach isn't considered "fat and happy" anymore when hired?

You’re just simply not going to learn how to yell “LETS GO BOYS GET PUCKS DEEP” in Europe, it’s just not going to happen. You need several years as an ECHL assistant to the assistant head coach first, then you can think about moving your way up the ranks to an assistant NHL video coach sometime by 2035.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad