OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
They are all about momentum. Some games you can put down for a year, pick them right up and feel at home. I don't know if the ME series is like that.
There’s that, but I mostly mean felt to play in terms of the controls and the mechanics of it. There was just something that didn’t totally sync up with that stuff and my brain with those games (and with the GTA’s and Red Dead Redemption’s)

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
There’s that, but I mostly mean felt to play in terms of the controls and the mechanics of it. There was just something that didn’t totally sync up with that stuff and my brain with those games (and with the GTA’s and Red Dead Redemption’s)
Too open worldy?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Anyone playing Sekiro?

I loved bloodborne (even if it made me want to throw my PS4 out of a window) and don't know if I want to put myself through that again with another From Software game.

I have. If the other Soulsborne games made you want to break shit, Sekiro follows that feeling up nicely. Dodging is next to useless, the combat is all about timing (parrying enemy attacks) and keeping constant pressure on the enemy. Whereas dodging was the main mode of survival in other FROM games, blocking/parrying is your best friend in Sekiro.

I spent my first 10 hours wanting to rip out my hair, especially due to 1 or 2 bosses (maybe they were mini-bosses? idk) in particular that I got stuck on, but after I took a couple breaks to take care of life and came back, everything kind of "clicked" and it felt a lot less frustrating and much, much more fun. Parrying became much easier. In general, blocking is an insanely strong mechanic and should be your go-to.

If you loved (and more importantly had fun with) BB, I'd say definitely pick up Sekiro. Even more so if you're in to the whole feudal Japan/Samurai aesthetic. The story is interesting (but IMO isn't on the level of Soulsborne games), the characters are cool, the world is GORGEOUS to look at, and it's fun to explore. There are a loooot of layers to the game and all the mechanics available give you tons of options.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Not gonna lie this is the first NHL game that has me hooked. The revamped gm mode is realistic enough to be fun, and if you mess with the gameplay sliders enough the game feels more accurate.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like all those worlds and stuff they put in those games, I just can’t ever quite feel comfortable with like, the mechanics of fighting or moving around in them

I do wonder if we are reaching the point where the games are becoming almost too complicated for all but the hardcore fans.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I do wonder if we are reaching the point where the games are becoming almost too complicated for all but the hardcore fans.

They're definitely more demanding these days in terms of mechanics or time commitment or both. I try to control my game spending by completing the games I buy as close to 100% as I can before I buy new ones but some of these games I'm interested in are just too huge for me to justify getting if I know I won't have time to finish them. And at this point I'm not really into playing a game, burning out on it and then picking it up months later and re-learning everything. I used to do that in college when a bunch of games would come out in October-December but I'd be too busy to beat them then so I'd spend my summers catching up. These days I stick to short-burst games like NHL and maybe one AAA game like Spider-Man. I do miss the days of having enough free time to pump major hours into a Final Fantasy though.

Anyone think Days Gone looks cool? I have never been a zombie fan but I do like third-person adventure/shooter type games. I'm kind of on the fence with that one.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think you're absolutely right. The focus is too much on visuals and mechanics and not enough in the areas that matter, like a gripping story and the game actually being fun. There is an entire group of gamers between casual and hardcore and they are kind of stuck in no mans land. Mobile games don't have enough substance and many of the big budget games are just too time consuming and too complicated. Some of the games these days to me feel more like a chore than anything else.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think you're absolutely right. The focus is too much on visuals and mechanics and not enough in the areas that matter, like a gripping story and the game actually being fun. There is an entire group of gamers between casual and hardcore and they are kind of stuck in no mans land. Mobile games don't have enough substance and many of the big budget games are just too time consuming and too complicated. Some of the games these days to me feel more like a chore than anything else.

It's one reason I haven't picked up Red Dead Redemption 2.

I loved the first, but I can't say the idea of having to dress accordingly for the weather appeals to me. At some point it just feels like too much.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

I loved the first, but I can't say the idea of having to dress accordingly for the weather appeals to me. At some point it just feels like too much.

Totally agree. And I think that we as gamers (not necessarily you and I) are at fault for this. New games would constantly get destroyed for being a rehash of its predecessor. Developers started listening and added mechanics such as this to give the crowd what they wanted and while also adding a realism element. These things of course were usually added (not always) with the story quality being sacrificed.

I'm not playing a game to have to dress appropriately for the weather. I have to do that shit in real life. I don't care if my guy is running through the arctic in a tshirt. I care about if the game is fun and it has a gripping story. We are crossing a line where games (mechanically and gameplay wise) are becoming too realistic and they are no longer fun.

I waited for KH III for 15 years. I haven't put more than 10 hours into it. Maybe 15. It is a beautiful game. It is not as fun as its predecessors.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

I eventually grew to like RDR2 a lot but this was my gripe with it as well. It's like they said "Hey remember everything great about the 1st game? What if we took that and made it 30 times more complicated and added a whole bunch of unfun things like dressing and having to eat."

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Totally agree. And I think that we as gamers (not necessarily you and I) are at fault for this. New games would constantly get destroyed for being a rehash of its predecessor. Developers started listening and added mechanics such as this to give the crowd what they wanted and while also adding a realism element. These things of course were usually added (not always) with the story quality being sacrificed.

I'm not playing a game to have to dress appropriately for the weather. I have to do that **** in real life. I don't care if my guy is running through the arctic in a tshirt. I care about if the game is fun and it has a gripping story. We are crossing a line where games (mechanically and gameplay wise) are becoming too realistic and they are no longer fun.

I waited for KH III for 15 years. I haven't put more than 10 hours into it. Maybe 15. It is a beautiful game. It is not as fun as its predecessors.

I would have LOVED KH3 10 years ago. Now? No desire.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not sure if anyone saw but PS5 specs were released. If I were a betting man (and the lack of funds in my bank account suggests I am...), I would bet the FF7 remake is going to be released as part of a PS5 bundle.

The remake is closer than most think.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

I'm not playing a game to have to dress appropriately for the weather. I have to do that **** in real life. I don't care if my guy is running through the arctic in a tshirt. I care about if the game is fun and it has a gripping story. We are crossing a line where games (mechanically and gameplay wise) are becoming too realistic and they are no longer fun.

Waiting for a countdown timer to autostart after last meal to find a suitable bathroom before shitting pants destroys social influence/exp which starts a negative spiral leading to drugs, divorce, and ultimately depression.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Not sure if anyone saw but PS5 specs were released. If I were a betting man (and the lack of funds in my bank account suggests I am...), I would bet the FF7 remake is going to be released as part of a PS5 bundle.

The remake is closer than most think.

Do you think the PS5 is close, or are they just throwing chum in the water ?

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Do you think the PS5 is close, or are they just throwing chum in the water ?
Read that it is likely 2020 release, but they're relatively close as they've already sent Dev Kits to development teams whatever that means. My guess would be a month or 2 before 2020 holiday season.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005

It’s not as onerous as it sounds.

The slow pace of traveling around the map (and deliberate design decisions to slow it down, like only being able to walk incamp not run) is the biggest obstacle to being able to use your time efficiently.

Great game though.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
It’s not as onerous as it sounds.

The slow pace of traveling around the map (and deliberate design decisions to slow it down, like only being able to walk incamp not run) is the biggest obstacle to being able to use your time efficiently.

Great game though.
I guess, that is the thing... my love for video games hasn't changed. As a parent of a 1 year old son and 2 dogs, with a full time career (with a 45-60 minute commute each way), a house, etc. my available time for video games just isn't what it used to be. I think that is part of the reason I still enjoy COD so much. I can pick it up at any time and go straight to some fast paced fun action. If I try to play RDR2 while laying in bed, my ass will be asleep in 20 minutes.

The last brand new game that I played where I was completely immersed was South Park: The Stick of Truth. It was an easy going, really fun (albeit severely f***ed up) game. The pace was just right. I tried Horizon Zero Dawn... and while it looks stunning on my 4k TV, I was bored. Very bored. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->