OT: The All-Purpose Video Game Thread: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Thoughts on the RE2 reboot?

I loved it – though the emotional cut scenes were (as always) meh, and as it turned out I wound up not exploring the chief's office, but beyond that awesome.

Is it worth going back and playing as the other character?

It looks great, I've always sucked at RE in the past. Maybe cuz I was young. The new engine makes me want to try it, everything looks really nice and easy to use. But seeing how often and for how long Mr. X chases you makes me never want to spend money on it..just seems like a stupid thing to throw in.

I wish they would do something with FF, namely Tactics. Really loved that one despite never beating it.

Reactions: Salvage21

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I thought RE2 remake was very good. If you're worried about mr x following you there's a specific thing you do in the game that triggers his appearance that you can delay while you collect weapons and items to minimize the hassle. You can google it. I would definitely play both leon and Claire's scenarios because you do get into the chief's office in Claire's.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I really appreciated that RE 2 remake captures the feeling of the original. I also think it was very well designed. The core mechanics of resource management, puzzles, killing zombies are all well executed. I enjoyed my time with it considerably.. But I feel like there's something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. I've only finished Leon and Claire's A campaigns, but even though I really enjoyed playing through the game - when it was finished, I wasn't left with the feeling like my mind has been blown.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I really appreciated that RE 2 remake captures the feeling of the original. I also think it was very well designed. The core mechanics of resource management, puzzles, killing zombies are all well executed. I enjoyed my time with it considerably.. But I feel like there's something missing. I can't quite put my finger on it. I've only finished Leon and Claire's A campaigns, but even though I really enjoyed playing through the game - when it was finished, I wasn't left with the feeling like my mind has been blown.

I watch streamers leave tons of healing items or ammo and if that was me, I'd probably never be able to find my way back to them when I need them. I'd also be the person carrying 6 healing items with me when I have 8 inventory slots.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I watch streamers leave tons of healing items or ammo and if that was me, I'd probably never be able to find my way back to them when I need them. I'd also be the person carrying 6 healing items with me when I have 8 inventory slots.

hahaha I know what you mean. I'm currently replaying the original Resident Evil (remake) Chris campaign. He only has SIX slots total. Granted, Shotguns and bigger weapons only take up one slot but a lot of time I'll have leave my extra shotgun shells behind or I can't bring any kind of healing items. I've died so many times..

Back to RE2 Remake. Part of the improvements they made that I appreciate is that once you find an item on the map but don't pick it up - that item is then marked on the map in that room. Easy to track down extra ammo/health left behind. Also, if you are at capacity, you can still use health items without putting them into your inventory.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
Looking over my Steam account I saw that I had bought the RE1 remake at some point.

I downloaded it last night and tried it out. I'm not sure - the 1/2 hour or so I played didn't give me great inspiration to see the thing through. Something about the viewing angles and the dingy look. Hunting for items and clues seemed frustrating. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I loved the show on my ps3. The fact that there isn’t a good baseball game for Xbox is an embarrassment. I’d get the ps4 if the new ps wasn’t coming soon (though missing the Harper cover is a plus). So is there a good baseball fix on steam? Thinking about ootp but I need my road to the show.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The only BB I ever bought on steam was MLB 2k10.

Personally - I loved it. I played it to death for 2-3 years. Pitching, batting, and fielding were all very enjoyable imo.

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Looking over my Steam account I saw that I had bought the RE1 remake at some point.

I downloaded it last night and tried it out. I'm not sure - the 1/2 hour or so I played didn't give me great inspiration to see the thing through. Something about the viewing angles and the dingy look. Hunting for items and clues seemed frustrating. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood.

I definitely get where you're coming from. There's a certain rigidness to everything in the original style of RE games - from the way you move, to combat, to navigating the environment, and the camera. It's not for everybody. But ultimately, as a fan of horror film, the framing in that game is brilliant.. but can be frustrating for game play. Taking a couple of steps in any one direction can completely blind you from a creature that's ultimately right next to you ready to naw on your face. or worse yet firing bullets into the unknown, unaware if your shots are hitting the mark.

However, If you find the patience to see it through, i think you'll be rewarded with one of the most tense, atmospheric, satisfying game of all time. The original series has left an unmeasurable impact on me and I can't help but continue to go back to them every now and then.

Just one thing to keep in mind if you decide to take the plunge: The mansion itself should be viewed as it's own 'character'. The labyrinth layout is very intentionally designed to be obscure and usher your character through it's corridors. Learning through trial and error and literally running through the map hundreds of times until the layout is so ingrained in your memory is when the game really becomes special. Learn. Remember. Solve puzzle. Blow zombies heads off with a shotgun.

It doesn't get any better than that.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I've always very much enjoyed watching the whole RE series played (thank goodness for Twitch in this day and age - if you like watching high level play, check out CarcinogenSDA), but yea the originals really turned me off to the whole thing..then again I was like 8-9 when I played the first one so that would explain a lot of why I wasn't able to grasp the controls and general feel of the game. RE7 reaaaaally grabbed my attention when I watched it. Looks incredible, scary/creepy af, and just looks like a lot of fun to play. Made me want to go back to Evil Within.

Man, were the 90s one hell of a time to be a gamer. RE, Diablo 2, Super Mario RPG, Quake, Doom, all the Final Fantasies (with 7 being my first RPG that I still play through about once a year), the original Pokemon, SM64, Goldeneye, Chrono Trigger, EverQuest. Crazy to think I was still in single-digit ages when I played most of those. Even crazier to think how strongly most of those, especially the Square releases, influenced my life.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I think I'm going Wolfenstein this weekend.

I bought the two that came out a few years ago but I've never downloaded them. It's time to give them a go.

My only question is - replay RtCW first or not?

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
I've always very much enjoyed watching the whole RE series played (thank goodness for Twitch in this day and age - if you like watching high level play, check out CarcinogenSDA), but yea the originals really turned me off to the whole thing..then again I was like 8-9 when I played the first one so that would explain a lot of why I wasn't able to grasp the controls and general feel of the game. RE7 reaaaaally grabbed my attention when I watched it. Looks incredible, scary/creepy af, and just looks like a lot of fun to play. Made me want to go back to Evil Within.

Man, were the 90s one hell of a time to be a gamer. RE, Diablo 2, Super Mario RPG, Quake, Doom, all the Final Fantasies (with 7 being my first RPG that I still play through about once a year), the original Pokemon, SM64, Goldeneye, Chrono Trigger, EverQuest. Crazy to think I was still in single-digit ages when I played most of those. Even crazier to think how strongly most of those, especially the Square releases, influenced my life.

I'm with you. We're probably around the same age. The evolution of video games from the NES on has been incredible to watch. I, like you and others, was able to experience legitimate masterpieces from my most impressionable ages. Final fantasy 6, RE, Metal Gear, Super Mario, Super Metroid, Wind waker.. They all hold up today.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Loved all those FF games back in the day, and Chrono Trigger. If they come out with a reboot of Chrono Trigger with today's graphics and done right, can die happy.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
@Kupo so been replaying FF IX on the switch and anytime I use mognet, reminds me of your username and avatar lol.

Anyway they are re-releasing FF X and X-2 packaged tomorrow for the Switch and FF XII is being re-released end of this month for the Switch... just gives me another reason to replay them lol

Reactions: Kupo

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
@Kupo so been replaying FF IX on the switch and anytime I use mognet, reminds me of your username and avatar lol.

Anyway they are re-releasing FF X and X-2 packaged tomorrow for the Switch and FF XII is being re-released end of this month for the Switch... just gives me another reason to replay them lol

I’d like to see them remaster IX, such a great game. X and X-2 weren’t games I fell in love with.

When the hell are they going to announce the date for VII?? It’s been like 3 years since the trailer at E3!

Reactions: Leonardo87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad