The All Purpose "Jack Johnson Sucks" Thread

Will they need to add a sweetener to trade Johnson?

• Total voters

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
We should bring back the original thread announcing we signed Johnson. It would be comical to see who tried to defend the signing.

When the coaches are looking at the tapes they might be looking at not just the overall package but keying on things they think hurt his game that they feel they can readily fix. Seeing issues that can explain his analytics may seem to them as more of a plus than a minus, depending on what they are, and from what they say the coaches are happy to have him, two being quite excited to have him.

He obviously has the tool set that cannot easily be coached further but this is his chance to change his game with a new system.

If his physical game is still there there is still time to improve, especially in mental areas. He is after all 31 not 75.

I see a lot more upside potential here than downside, so I like the signing.

:oops:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I couldn't of been the only one that noticed JJ inability to hold in pucks in the Flyers zone tonight.

I knew he was bad, but i didn't realize he was this bad with the puck on his stick.

Its like Scuderi bad.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I couldn't of been the only one that noticed JJ inability to hold in pucks in the Flyers zone tonight.

I knew he was bad, but i didn't realize he was this bad with the puck on his stick.

Its like Scuderi bad.

His inability to handle the puck is truly fascinating. It's like the rest of the players are pranking him and have switched his regular stick with a rubber one and he hasn't yet caught on to the joke.

Reactions: SEALBound and TNT87

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Its like Scuderi bad.

There is nothing separating him from being Scuderi anymore. If anything, the evolution of the league from 2015 to 2019 means he’s worse relative to the league than Scuds was.

f***.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
There is nothing separating him from being Scuderi anymore. If anything, the evolution of the league from 2015 to 2019 means he’s worse relative to the league than Scuds was.

Weren't you a more positive poster recently? I feel like you've broken a bit lately and become "one of us, one of us"...or maybe I'm mistaken. Lol.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Weren't you a more positive poster recently? I feel like you've broken a bit lately and become "one of us, one of us"...or maybe I'm mistaken. Lol.

Yea :laugh:, I reached a breaking point watching this team get shelled in important games and seeing JJ get worse and keep playing. I still think they’re two moves on D from being the best team but it’s clear they’re too dumb to see JJ as the disaster that he is.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hey so been a while. This season has been really, really, really not fun.

But anyhow I'm super shocked to see Jack Johnson hasn't worked out.

Shocked, I tell you. I'm betting pixies has been super magnanimous about this whole thing.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Both teams and private stats companies (like the one Chayka founded) come up with plenty of microstats and models we don't know about. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Pens compiled a pile of "analytics" like Net Battles Won or Penalty Killing Blocks that supported their gut affection for Johnson.

Remember that the Oilers media reported that their team's analytics department concluded that Kris Russell was better defensively than Marc-Edouard Vlasic. Some of these companies are just yes-men who coat a thin veneer of statistical rigour to confirm what teams already think about players.

Not really JJ related but I’d bet my left arm they have their own stat to track zone time and the org places significant weight on it.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
one aspect of Maatta getting hurt and out for the next month is it probably makes it highly unlikely we get rid of JJ any time soon. But JR can't be blind to the Johnson effect, nor can Sully be. I think we were always going to wait and see how he does in the playoffs anyway. But he's really a drag on our team. A slightly better skating Rob Scuderi...

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
one aspect of Maatta getting hurt and out for the next month is it probably makes it highly unlikely we get rid of JJ any time soon. But JR can't be blind to the Johnson effect, nor can Sully be. I think we were always going to wait and see how he does in the playoffs anyway. But he's really a drag on our team. A slightly better skating Rob Scuderi...

In what world do you live in that JJ was going to get scratched?
Wasn't gonna happen

We could be afforded an all star roster of dmen and somehow/someway JJ would leach himself into the top 6

Sully and JR LOVE HIM- let that sink in

Apr 9, 2009
USA
We should bring back the original thread announcing we signed Johnson. It would be comical to see who tried to defend the signing.

Why? How dare people be optimistic about their team.

I guess optimism isn't the HF Pens way though. Those idiots!

I thought he could be OK. Fire away?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
No one THOUGHT he'd be okay..but we HOPED he wouldn't be what we already knew him to be.

A bunch of posters put crazy free agent signings and silly trades out every day around here.

...the common denominator? No one ever wanted to trade for or sign this guy. Not the optimists. Not the pessimists. Not the fire sullys. Not the advanced stat freaks. No one.

most trades that happen had at least one poster wanting the guy at some point on HFPens.

Not with JMFJ. No one wanted him.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad