The All Purpose "Jack Johnson Sucks" Thread

Will they need to add a sweetener to trade Johnson?

• Total voters

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I like how the narrative is now "he hits tho!" Despite the guy being sold to the fans (well... those that somehow didn't catch a Jackets game for years) as some sort of puck mover.

Just like how Scuderi was essential because of his shot blocking. Or, in other words, both always finding themselves on the defensive end of the puck because they are hemmed in their end nonstop.

I don't know if it's apologist garbage or just lazy.

deepelemblues

May 25, 2016
Pittsburgh
as long as sully/JR doesn't say he's a glue guy and a locker room leader like hurdle did about sean effing rodriguez for effing years... there is hope

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I like how the narrative is now "he hits tho!" Despite the guy being sold to the fans (well... those that somehow didn't catch a Jackets game for years) as some sort of puck mover.

Just like how Scuderi was essential because of his shot blocking. Or, in other words, both always finding themselves on the defensive end of the puck because they are hemmed in their end nonstop.

I don't know if it's apologist garbage or just lazy.

As fans, it is probably just the fact we can't change the personnel, so sometimes have to try and convince ourselves that it isn't so bad. Only way to sleep at night. Or something.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As fans, it is probably just the fact we can't change the personnel, so sometimes have to try and convince ourselves that it isn't so bad. Only way to sleep at night. Or something.

I sleep incredibly well. Though I kinda hope JR has the occasional night terror.

Ah well guys. Ya can't have a whole defense full of Kris Letangs and be successful, right?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Last night in a game the Pens were clearly the better team, the Pens were outshot 19-6 with Johnson on the ice. YET THE GAME STORY IS A DEFENSE OF JOHNSON. God the Pittsburgh media's desire to prop this guy up is bizarre.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Like I said in the off-day thread, I think JR is right about Johnson never getting a fair shake from fans, but Johnson's play this year has been closer to what fans have said about him than what the team said about him. His play this year hasn't warranted JR having his back like this, regardless of how bad you think he has been this year. He shouldn't be throwing him under the bus obviously, but to have his back this much when his play has been what it has been just reeks of delusion.

Even ignoring all of the advanced stats that say he has been a dud for years, he has been a massive disappointment for what JR advertised him to be this off-season. I don't know how JR can seriously be satisfied with his performance this year when his puck moving/handling and offensive abilities have been so far below advertised. If Johnson had terrible advanced stats but still had at least decent offensive abilities or decent puck moving talent, I wouldn't have a problem with JR being happy with his performance. But he has underachieved from what JR said he was, so I don't know how he can be satisfied with Johnson's performance.

Last edited:

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The scary thing is that, by and large, you don't game plan for another team during the regular season - there just isn't time. But when they get into the playoffs and other teams see them every other day for two weeks, coaches like Trotz and Tortorella and Cooper will absolutely manage the games to exploit Johnson when he's on the ice. Any D-Zone start he has on the road will be a nightmare for the Pens - opponents will load those situations up and the Pens will get run.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Last night in a game the Pens were clearly the better team, the Pens were outshot 19-6 with Johnson on the ice. YET THE GAME STORY IS A DEFENSE OF JOHNSON. God the Pittsburgh media's desire to prop this guy up is bizarre.

Nothing bizarre about them not wanting to cross the GM.

Plenty of things you can say about that desire, but bizarre isn't one of them ;)

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
JJ has been as bad as I thought when JR signed him.
I'm going to loose it if he doesn't pull the plug next season.

Reactions: treeni12

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Up until the end of last month JJ were on the ice for more goals against per hour of 5v5 ice time than all but 6! players in the entire league...
Wake the F up JR and take of those rose tinted glasses....

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Cone-og-ignorance.jpg

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
At least I can see why Malkin is forced to have JJ tied to him by the hip. He's one of the players JJ drags down the least....
Literally nobody else can play with him without creating a black hole on the ice....

treeni12

Oct 30, 2018
These are Scuderi level numbers. Also fails both eye test and adv. numbers. Horrendous signing

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
At least I can see why Malkin is forced to have JJ tied to him by the hip. He's one of the players JJ drags down the least....
Literally nobody else can play with him without creating a black hole on the ice....

So dragging down the least is the standard? How about just not playing JJ?...

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I literally felt gaslighted reading that article. If that's how the organization really feels about Johnson we are fuuuucked.

Have they considered for even a second that maybe the reason we criticize him is that he's demonstrably terrible in every way?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad