Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
That list is not too encouraging but I guess having so many recent graduates and no pick in first 2 rounds last year, it is understable. Need some of the Lind and lower prospects to surprise. Or after Podz and Rathbone team could be waiting for a couple years for the next guy. Defn need to hit on picks the next few years if this team is going to compete throughout Hughes peak.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Athletic's list is:

HMs:
Gadjovich
Focht
Jurmo
Zlodeyev

10 - Persson
9 - Silovs
8 - Lockwood
7 - Costmar
6 - Woo
5 - McDonough
4 - DiPietro
3 - Lind
2 - Rathbone
1 - Podkolzin

Woo is a far better prospect than Lind. It isn't even close.

I'd have it :

1) Podkolzin
2) Rathbone
3) Woo
4) Dipietro
---
Huge drop
---
5) McDonough
6) Lind
7) Costmar
8) Lockwood
---
Another big drop
---
9) Gadjovich
10) Persson

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC

I'd have it :

1) Podkolzin
2) Rathbone
3) Woo
4) Dipietro
---
Huge drop
---
5) McDonough
6) Lind
7) Costmar
8) Lockwood
---
Another big drop
---
9) Gadjovich
10) Persson
Your list feels closer to reality than their list. Though I'd cautiously rank Costmar above Lind just because one's slightly more likely to be an NHL center than the other.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Guillaume Brisebois was in action tonight for Laval. There was only one of him, however, in contrast with days past when he appeared consistently in the plural.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
McDonough doing well at NCAA level will not make it at the next level unless he makes big strides in his skating,
Lockwood is the highest of all under the “huge drop”

Last edited:

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Many people are fixated on DiPietro's size and ignore the fact that all other aspects say "future NHLer." His quickness and agility/athleticism were elite by 20-year-old standards last season, his mechanics were pretty good for that age and he seems to have a good attitude-- never saw signs of him getting hangdog or quitting when things weren't going well in a game. He's a solid 'B' level prospect, I think he's unquestionably in the top 3 of Canuck prospects at this point and it's hard to understand why that guy at The Athletic keeps ranking him behind 'C' level Lind. At least he moved DiPietro ahead of Woo this time.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

I'd have it :

1) Podkolzin
2) Rathbone
3) Woo
4) Dipietro
---
Huge drop
---
5) McDonough
6) Lind
7) Costmar
8) Lockwood
---
Another big drop
---
9) Gadjovich
10) Persson
Lockwood is already an NHL bottom six player. He will be on our team next season.
Pods
Bone
Lockwood
These three are on our team next year for sure.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Many people are fixated on DiPietro's size and ignore the fact that all other aspects say "future NHLer." His quickness and agility/athleticism were elite by 20-year-old standards last season, his mechanics were pretty good for that age and he seems to have a good attitude-- never saw signs of him getting hangdog or quitting when things weren't going well in a game. He's a solid 'B' level prospect, I think he's unquestionably in the top 3 of Canuck prospects at this point and it's hard to understand why that guy at The Athletic keeps ranking him behind 'C' level Lind. At least he moved DiPietro ahead of Woo this time.
I agree re DiPietro's size. He's 2cm shorter than a couple of recent stanley cup winning goalies including Quick. His size, while on the shorter end, should not be the main deterent in his development.
I disagree slightly on Woo. Love this kid. I think he'll be in the NHL lineup at some point next year. DiPietro might take a little longer.
Lind is trending as a career AHLer but still has time to improve.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lockwood is already an NHL bottom six player. He will be on our team next season.
Pods
Bone
Lockwood
These three are on our team next year for sure.

Lockwood right now is a weak little midget who can’t produce in the AHL. He isn’t even close to an NHL player. Needs to add significant strength and show he can produce at top-6 levels in the AHL before this is any sort of discussion.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lockwood right now is a weak little midget who can’t produce in the AHL. He isn’t even close to an NHL player. Needs to add significant strength and show he can produce at top-6 levels in the AHL before this is any sort of discussion.
Lockwood is a super fast pest of a player, who is ideal for a bottom six energy/PK guy, but he will never be more than that. He will be on our team next season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lockwood is a super fast pest of a player, who is ideal for a bottom six energy/PK guy, but he will never be more than that. He will be on our team next season.

He's a speedy little waterbug at the (weakened this year where Jonah Gadjovich is scoring a goal/game) AHL level but I think you're substantially underestimating the jump to the NHL.

Guys like Motte and Jayson Megna were bigger/stronger/faster speedy high-motor waterbugs in the AHL putting up lots of points and it took years for Motte to establish himself as *barely* an NHL player and Megna isn't one. Motte is better than Lockwood at absolutely everything.

If you can't produce at a top-6 level in the AHL, you can't play in the NHL in any role. Lockwood needs to get stronger and make huge strides offensively before there can be any discussion about him making the step upward. He'd get destroyed at this level right now.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
He's a speedy little waterbug at the (weakened this year where Jonah Gadjovich is scoring a goal/game) AHL level but I think you're substantially underestimating the jump to the NHL.

Guys like Motte and Jayson Megna were bigger/stronger/faster speedy high-motor waterbugs in the AHL putting up lots of points and it took years for Motte to establish himself as *barely* an NHL player and Megna isn't one. Motte is better than Lockwood at absolutely everything.

If you can't produce at a top-6 level in the AHL, you can't play in the NHL in any role. Lockwood needs to get stronger and make huge strides offensively before there can be any discussion about him making the step upward. He'd get destroyed at this level right now.

Jake dropped in to say Hello...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Watching Brisbois playing with Laval. He’s big, and seems to skate well. Just doesn’t seem too smart. Is he a guy we will just let walk?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

You're grossly misrepresenting the career arcs of these players. Lockwood is in his age 22 season. In their respective age 22 seasons:

- Megna was still playing college hockey, which he followed up by scoring 12 points in 56 AHL games the next season, and;

- Motte scored 16 points in 46 AHL games, while also spending time in the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Even if Lockwood morphs into a decent penalty killer and a guy who scores 5-10 goals a season, it's still a 'win' for a third round draft pick.

There's no doubt he has NHL wheels, which is more than you can say for a number of the current guys plodding their way through third and fourth line duty with the Canucks.

The NHL is a 'speed league' now. If you can't keep up, you can't play.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're grossly misrepresenting the career arcs of these players. Lockwood is in his age 22 season. In their respective age 22 seasons:

- Megna was still playing college hockey, which he followed up by scoring 12 points in 56 AHL games the next season, and;

- Motte scored 16 points in 46 AHL games, while also spending time in the NHL.

This was a discussion about playing in the NHL the next year.

Also you have the year wrong on Motte. At the same age as Lockwood is now, he scored 9 goals in 17 games in the AHL.

Do you think Will Lockwood will be in our lineup next year?

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I agree re DiPietro's size. He's 2cm shorter than a couple of recent stanley cup winning goalies including Quick. His size, while on the shorter end, should not be the main deterent in his development.
I disagree slightly on Woo. Love this kid. I think he'll be in the NHL lineup at some point next year. DiPietro might take a little longer.
Lind is trending as a career AHLer but still has time to improve.

DiPietro played better in his two post-draft junior seasons than Woo did. Then last season, DiPietro played at solidly 1A level as a rookie in the real AHL, which would translate to solid #3 defenceman (and that doesn't count the fact that goalies generally take an extra year to develop). For Woo to match that would require him to be playing at legit first-pair level this season in AHL Light with its watered-down calibre. I've only seen in him a Canuck scrimmage and the opening two AHL(L) games-- he didn't look out of place but certainly didn't strike me as a guy who was going to be a top-level player in that league this season. DiPietro seems to be a tier above Woo as a prospect.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
DiPietro played better in his two post-draft junior seasons than Woo did. Then last season, DiPietro played at solidly 1A level as a rookie in the real AHL, which would translate to solid #3 defenceman (and that doesn't count the fact that goalies generally take an extra year to develop). For Woo to match that would require him to be playing at legit first-pair level this season in AHL Light with its watered-down calibre. I've only seen in him a Canuck scrimmage and the opening two AHL(L) games-- he didn't look out of place but certainly didn't strike me as a guy who was going to be a top-level player in that league this season. DiPietro seems to be a tier above Woo as a prospect.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm down on Dipietro. I think he's a great prospect. As you say goalies take a little longer. I don't expect to see him in the NHL in a #2 role for a couple of more years at least.

My impressions of Woo have leaped quite a bit this year. Going into the year I would have said that he was a hit or miss prospect. He had some good attributes, particularly on the physical side, but were they translatable to the next level and would he have enough mobility to play well at the AHL level and project as a top 6 NHL D-man?

For me, the first answers to those questions came in the scrimmage games when he held his own against NHL calibre players. I thought, well some of the top end guys who didn't need to earn spots probably weren't going all that hard but at least he looked like he belonged. Then the first couple of games in Utica he held his own (but I wasn't watching that closely). What then took my interest to another level was his play with Rathbone. The two looked like a perfect match. He showed a lot of awareness of his partner's decisions, covered when necessary, was very solid defensively, and played physical. The two were arguably the top pairing on Utica when they played together. To me this bodes incredibly well for the future. Sure the AHL is watered down but it's still a whole lot better than the last level he played at and going into the season there were questions about how well he would make the transition. He's answered those questions in just a handful of games and now it would be surprising if he doesn't see at least some time on the NHL roster next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This season will be profoundly harmful on DiPietro's career and might result in him not making the NHL
Canucks Army has taken a serious run at the Canucks for how they've handled some of their top prospects this season. And DiPietro headlines their concerns. Well worth a read, and hard to argue with any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad