Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Pretty typical of the Canucks and Benning.....send one of your prospects to a team that has absolutely no interest in playing him. What was the point of placing him in Winnipeg in the first place?

I realize Silovs isn't one of their top prospects, but he does seem to be a favorite of goaltending coach Ian Clark. Of course when you factor in that Mikey DiPietro, who's apparently a lot higher on their depth chart, hasn't played a game either.....you really scratch your head about who in the Canucks front office has overall accountability for player development.

Surely Clark, who is into all things related to Canuck goalies, can't be thrilled with these developments.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Tyler Graovac just had a three assist night in a 4-2 Manitoba Moose win. He has eight points in seven games.

I'd like to see Graovac centering a fourth line with Motte and Bailey on the wings. It would obviously be called the medieval defence line.

Motte-and-bailey fallacy - Wikipedia
Although he's not a prospect, it boggles my mind that Graovac is being loaned elsewhere whilst our own farm team could use him BADLY. I'm floored at the stupidity, to be honest. At the very least the Canucks finally recalled Sautner from Manitoba to the taxi squad and released Rathbone to the Comets. That's a start.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Although he's not a prospect, it boggles my mind that Graovac is being loaned elsewhere whilst our own farm team could use him BADLY. I'm floored at the stupidity, to be honest. At the very least the Canucks finally recalled Sautner from Manitoba to the taxi squad and released Rathbone to the Comets. That's a start.
Eh I think its mostly that they seem him as a player who could actually play for us when Beagle and Sutter are both hurt simultaneously, and they cant keep him on taxi squad, but sending him to Utica would mean 2 week quarantine if he does need to play

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Eh I think its mostly that they seem him as a player who could actually play for us when Beagle and Sutter are both hurt simultaneously, and they cant keep him on taxi squad, but sending him to Utica would mean 2 week quarantine if he does need to play
Never thought of that. Guess that's actually a good strategy.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The forgotten man, Tyler Graovac, scored the lone goal for the Moose today in a 2-1 losss.

2 goals, 7 assists, 8 games played.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Silovs the third star in a 2-1 Moose loss to Laval. I don't know what it is, but I'm getting good vibes from this prospect. Listed at 6'4" and 205, with excellent agility.....a bit of a blank canvas for Ian Clark to work with....and obviously he probably had a big influence on the Canucks drafting him in the first place.

Can never have enough solid goaltending prospects in the pipeline.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I watched Rathbone on the weekend and can't stop thinking about how good this kid could be. So smooth. Such a strong skater. Very smart with the puck. Capable in his own zone - looks like with some time and NHL level coaching he could be solid on D. Good stick. And Physical. IMO He could be in the NHL lineup today but 20 or 30 games in the AHL isn't going to hurt him.

Also liked Woo and Lockwood (I almost wrote Wellwood). Woo looks like he could become that solid, physical D-man we've been hoping for. Lockwood looks tenacious. Doesn't look like he will be a scorer but he could become that bottom 6 checking winger that is the first out on the PK.

I wasn't as sold on Lind or Gadjovich. Lind looks a little soft out there. Gadjovich on the other hand could be a great power forward if he could improve his skating. But that's a big ask cause it's not good.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

upload_2021-3-1_12-26-50.png

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Question for those who are more knowledgeable about our prospects in Europe:

What's the scoop on Toni Utunen? Basically no points in the Finnish league but at the same time it says something that he's been a consistent mainstay on the Tappara blueline for 3 straight seasons. Is he just a solid rock of a defensive defenseman? Enough there for a contract?

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Tyler Graovac isn't in the line-up tonight for the Moose. I've asked for an update in the Moose thread on the Jets' forum, but so far no response. Could he have been called up to the Canucks' taxi squad?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Podzilla has been doing well in the KHL playoffs with 2 goals in the 2 games he's played. It's an excellent sign that he's once again had a late-season spike in production and is carrying it into the playoffs.

Zhukenov has also played in 2 playoff games but has yet to make his mark on the score sheet.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

What's the scoop on Toni Utunen? Basically no points in the Finnish league but at the same time it says something that he's been a consistent mainstay on the Tappara blueline for 3 straight seasons. Is he just a solid rock of a defensive defenseman? Enough there for a contract?

He's a total non-prospect from what I've seen. Small, not a great skater, not terribly skilled. Basically a Finnish Josh Teves/Mitch Eliot. Currently a 3rd pairing defender in a league that's somewhere between the AHL and ECHL.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
He's a total non-prospect from what I've seen. Small, not a great skater, not terribly skilled. Basically a Finnish Josh Teves/Mitch Eliot. Currently a 3rd pairing defender in a league that's somewhere between the AHL and ECHL.
Hmm, too bad.

Thanks for the response.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

First thing I noticed when I watched him is he has a very good stick defensively. Great at timing when to poke check. Defends very well, there's a reason even though he doesn't produce much offense - or any. he's always there for national team situations.

Problem is a no offense defensive dman usually brings other intangibles like size/physicality etc. He's 5-11 and isn't the best skater, although I think he moves around ok and has good gap control.

Too bad he's not bigger, because I feel he can defend very well.

Likely won't turn out to be an NHLer, but if he does, can see him like Andy Greene - the older Andy Greene. Smaller dman who is very good defensively.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
The Athletic's list is:

HMs:
Gadjovich
Focht
Jurmo
Zlodeyev

10 - Persson
9 - Silovs
8 - Lockwood
7 - Costmar
6 - Woo
5 - McDonough
4 - DiPietro
3 - Lind
2 - Rathbone
1 - Podkolzin
kind of surprised at Persson ahead of Jurmo but I can understand why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->