Prospect Info: The 2020 - 2021 Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I remember that idiot Weisbrod gushing over Manukyan
He is a small skilled player taken with a 6th round pick who's lost a lot of time over the years to injuries. He's the type of player you want to take late in a draft and the type of player who could have broken out and shocked people. That's something worth liking.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wheres that poster who use to update daily our prospects? Southern Comfort I think

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
A. Manukyan the man, the myth, the legend has finally played another game. He went 0 - 0 - 0 and was a -1.
Better than Pettersson Boeser and Millers combined -9 from LAST game so theres that

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
A load more of our prospects are finally getting games in now that the AHL season is underway.

Other events of note:
-Dmitri Zhukenov has 3 goals in 5 KHL games this is his first KHL action since the 17/18 season. His points have come in an average of 10:25 of ice time.
-Viktor Perrson is splitting time between HockeyEtan and the SHL.
-Jackson Kunz is proving to be excellent at the USHL level with 9 G - 9 A - 18 P in 21 games and a +13 rating.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Thanks for the updates @Norade ! That's great news about Zhukenov. Don't know much about him but I wonder if he's good enough that the Canucks can't squeeze a bit more value out of that 2015 draft. Boeser and Gaudette go without saying, while Brisebois and Jasek have been solid foot soldiers for the farm.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
How about our top pick from this past draft, Jurmo? I can see he doesn't have many points but does anyone have any more in depth info about how he's done lately?

VNCVR

Oct 27, 2020
Podzilla is quietly up to a 1/3 PPG rate which is a vast improvement from the start of his KHL season.

He turned it on in the second half of last year as well if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't say it's necessarily due to earning more trust or many more minutes either. Wonder the reasoning

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Thanks for the updates @Norade ! That's great news about Zhukenov. Don't know much about him but I wonder if he's good enough that the Canucks can't squeeze a bit more value out of that 2015 draft. Boeser and Gaudette go without saying, while Brisebois and Jasek have been solid foot soldiers for the farm.
Zhukenov is already 23 so he'd have to come over this offseason and be willing to play in the AHL. His only other route would be to break out (0.75ppg+) in the KHL and then have us bring him over. I don't think either are likely but seeing anything at the KHL level is always a good sign.

How about our top pick from this past draft, Jurmo? I can see he doesn't have many points but does anyone have any more in depth info about how he's done lately?
I can't give a whole lot, but I can say this. JYP is second last in Liiga with the 3rd worst goals for and 3rd worst goals-against stat sealing their fate as a terrible team.

For his part, Jurmo has played in 19 of 32 games for them in his rookie season at that level. His +/- is awful and tied for second last on the team and to make matters worse this nobody close to his score has played nearly as many games as he has, so I think it's safe to say that he's not doing well right now. Of course, it can be very hard for a rookie D to come in on a bad team without anyone to shelter them so take this with a helping of salt. One other stat that stands out is his PIM, he's got the second most on his team at 39 but that's a mirage as 25 of them came from a single game. A stat that doesn't stand out but perhaps should is that he manages just over a shot per game, for a guy with no offensive numbers yet that's a good sign.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McDonough is a bit hot and cold but he definitely has a scoring touch at the NCAA level.

Kunz is still excellent at the USHL level and what's remarkable is that every player scoring at a higher rate than his has at least one extra season at this level compared to him. I expect him to do well if he steps into the NCAA next season.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Should be noted that between Pod and Hoglander (and even earlier picks like Lockwood etc.) the Canucks have followed a clear drafting archetype: players who are underrated for their production in disjointed minor leagues but whose game translates favourably to the more structured NHL (which ironically is partly because they’re so good at disrupting that structure on the opposing team).

Zlodeyev is the next iteration of this drafting philosophy. Will be watching him closely.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
McDonough is a bit hot and cold but he definitely has a scoring touch at the NCAA level.

Kunz is still excellent at the USHL level and what's remarkable is that every player scoring at a higher rate than his has at least one extra season at this level compared to him. I expect him to do well if he steps into the NCAA next season.

McDonough hot last weekend with 5 goals and an assist in two games. Running near a point a game.

Updated Kunz stats: gms 25 goals 13 assist 9 22 points and a + 19.

Some comparison charts of Kunz here. Jackson Kunz - QuantHockey

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Don’t know if it’s been done already, but trying that USHL comp thing with Kunz vs Boeser could be interesting.

On my cell now which feels cramped on that site or I’d do it myself.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Don’t know if it’s been done already, but trying that USHL comp thing with Kunz vs Boeser could be interesting.

It is like night and day.

In their draft years, age 17:

Boeser USHL 57 games 35-33-68 pts (-1 on a team that didn't make the playoffs)

Kunz USHL 5 games 1g 0 ast 1 pt (+1 on a team that was in a solid playoff position when the season was cancelled)

For the D+1 seasons Boeser had moved on to the University of North Dakota, where in 42 games he scored 27 goals and added 33 assists for 60 pts (+45 on a very good team). In his D+1 season Kunz as noted elsewhere has 22 pts in 25 games (+19 on a good team, still in the USHL.)

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Boeser was waaay ahead of Kunz. Boeser was a star at the USHL level before becoming a star at every other level. Kunz is more the hidden gem type, which is cool too. We'll see how he does for North Dakota next year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rick Dhaliwal just tweeted out some news about Podkolzin....took a cheap head-shot during a recent KHL game and is gone for three games with mild concussion. Apparently Dhaliwal got the SKA St. Petersburg president on the phone. The ugly headshot is up on his Twitter feed.

That's what I'm going to miss most about TSN 1040. They're actual investigative journalists who leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of a story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->