LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Don’t all threads? I’ve had plenty of mine hijacked by Leafs fans. It gets frustrating.
Avs threads tend to get hijacked by Montreal fans, though it's usually the same 2-3 posters so it's probably not fair to throw the whole fanbase under the bus.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Avs threads tend to get hijacked by Montreal fans, though it's usually the same 2-3 posters so it's probably not fair to throw the whole fanbase under the bus.
I have to agree with this... most fanbase have very knowledgeable posters

as for OP, forget the SENS... or maybe they can try to bribe them to take Matt Murray of our hands :sarcasm: :laugh:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So expose Hyman and pray that Seattle doesn't go for him? I know he is a UFA but still wouldn't take the risk. Plus you can't protect 5 dmen. You're protecting Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie over those 2 so one or both of them are going to be exposed depending on the format chosen.
Every team loses someone. Teams with depth are going to lose someone good. Seattle is going to ask for the moon for taking a guy like Kerfoot when they could be taking someone significantly better.

Reactions: voxel

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Every team loses someone. Teams with depth are going to lose someone good. Seattle is going to ask for the moon for taking a guy like Kerfoot when they could be taking someone significantly better.
Yeah there's no point in losing sleep over the prospect of losing a decent player to Seattle. At the end of the day all they get is a #4-5 Dman or 3rd line forward which is relatively easy to replace.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Or they can go 8 and deal Dermott

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl

Campbell

Kerfoot becomes the best available player
Losing one in expansion and the other by trade this offseason makes sense to me. Seattle on paper should select whichever one is there and moving the other one before or after expansion shouldn't be too difficult. They traded Johnsson and Kap, players with similar production last summer. Kerfoot is the obvious player gone to make cap room this summer, playing in the middle of the lineup, they need to re-sign Hyman and get a new goalie to replace Andersen at minimum. Dermott doesn't really have a place next season. Rielly - Brodie, Muzzin - Holl is the top-4 and it's time for Sandin and Liljegren to see NHL ice. Give them a good veteran 7th D like Bogosian to share time and that is a good setup. Dermott is blocking their path as it stands. But, is a player with interesting upside in his own right. Seattle should get a good player from Toronto either way. I don't think they'll have to pay anything to lose Kerfoot's deal in trade if it comes to that. The deal itself is fair. He's a proven middle-6 player with a cap hit of 3.5M per for 2 seasons going into a year where all teams lose a player to expansion and a new team is created. I would think he'd be viewed as an asset and not someone you'd have to pay assets to take from you.

Reactions: The Podium

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Don’t all threads? I’ve had plenty of mine hijacked by Leafs fans. It gets frustrating.

No one ever accounts for the size of the fan base. How come no one ever accounts for the size of the fan base?

Is Seattle expansion discussion only limited to fans of smaller hockey markets, or obscure hockey markets (Carolina/Florida)?

Reactions: Dustin

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
It will be interesting to see who will play the village idiot this time around. There were plenty of contenders last time, and given that these bozos don't learn I expect more of the same.

I think if there's 4 teams that are in terrible positions it's Montreal Minnesota, Colorado, and Tampa.

Montreal has some decent UFA's this summer, specifically Danault and Tatar, who are due for another decent contract and could form 2/3rds of a really solid top-6 line. If Seattle is thinking what I'm thinking this seems like an interesting opportunity to get two pieces of a stable, proven two-way top-6 unit. And Minnesota is in a bind w Dumba Unless Suter waives and they expose him or they protect 4D, which will expose a decent top-9 forward. Colorado has a tough situation with Graves behind Toews, Makar and Girard. Boston is also gonna lose a decent player, either young depth dman or a winger like Kase. Tampa is screwed with McDonagh and have a lot of UFA forwards they can't afford/ don't have spots for.

Other than that, Nashville will have to make a decision with Ekholm, Carolina will lose a young D, St Louis with Dunn or a good young forward, Dallas may be in a tough spot with Jason Dickinson who has been solid this year. Florida will lose a potential top-4 dman in either Gudas or Forsling (assuming they protect Ekblad, Weegar, and either Yandle or one of those two). Nutivaara or Stralman as options too, unless they go 4D in which case they lose a Duclair/Wennberg. And Dreidger potentially who is a UFA. Isles losing a solid dman in Leddy or Mayfield or potentially Dal-Colle. Philly could use the opportunity to clear an expensive forward like Voracek or else a solid bottom-6er like Lindblom or Laughton. Toronto with Holl, Washington with Jensen or a goalie. Winnipeg maybe with Logan Stanley.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Other than that, Nashville will have to make a decision with Ekholm, Carolina will lose a young D, St Louis with Dunn or a good young forward, Dallas may be in a tough spot with Jason Dickinson who has been solid this year. Florida will lose a potential top-4 dman in either Gudas or Forsling (assuming they protect Ekblad, Weegar, and either Yandle or one of those two). Nutivaara or Stralman as options too, unless they go 4D in which case they lose a Duclair/Wennberg. And Dreidger potentially who is a UFA. Isles losing a solid dman in Leddy or Mayfield or potentially Dal-Colle. Philly could use the opportunity to clear an expensive forward like Voracek or else a solid bottom-6er like Lindblom or Laughton. Toronto with Holl, Washington with Jensen or a goalie. Winnipeg maybe with Logan Stanley.

Nashville doesn't have enough forwards worth protecting for us to worry about Ekholm, we can easily go 4-4 and come back to considering an Ekholm/Ellis move after expansion.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Nashville doesn't have enough forwards worth protecting for us to worry about Ekholm, we can easily go 4-4 and come back to considering an Ekholm/Ellis move after expansion.
Fair. Expose Duchene and hope he gets taken? He has some pretty solid underlying numbers just no actual production

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Fair. Expose Duchene and hope he gets taken? He has some pretty solid underlying numbers just no actual production

Him and Johansen both have pretty large contracts, Nashville could potentially use that as an extra slot if they're confident Seattle won't take them, and even if they do it's a load off the cap.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think if there's 4 teams that are in terrible positions it's Montreal Minnesota, Colorado, and Tampa.

Montreal has some decent UFA's this summer, specifically Danault and Tatar, who are due for another decent contract and could form 2/3rds of a really solid top-6 line. If Seattle is thinking what I'm thinking this seems like an interesting opportunity to get two pieces of a stable, proven two-way top-6 unit. And Minnesota is in a bind w Dumba Unless Suter waives and they expose him or they protect 4D, which will expose a decent top-9 forward. Colorado has a tough situation with Graves behind Toews, Makar and Girard. Boston is also gonna lose a decent player, either young depth dman or a winger like Kase. Tampa is screwed with McDonagh and have a lot of UFA forwards they can't afford/ don't have spots for.

Teams will consider higher cap hit players and making them avaiable.

For your 4 teams:
Montreal - take their chances letting their free agents hit the market, unless they have the protection spots to spare. None of the UFAs would require max term so, still competing with the rest of the league for them.

Minnesota - have 4D. Key for them to protect those 4D is asking Parise who would have 1 more year at good money $6 mill in cash, before the final 3 years pay him a total of $4 mill. He wouldn't get selected if he waived. See if he does.

Colorado - has EJ with a NMC which was signed pre Vegas, so he would have to be protected. Avs can go 4-4, to expose Graves on D, and all but 1 of Jost, Burakovsky, Nuke, etc. if they don't extend Landy before that.

TB - McDonaugh has 5 years at $6.875 mill per left and he turns 32 in 2021. He's in that category that you expose him and although he is a good player still, does Seattle want the 2 years at the end where they should expect him to decline when they are in years 4-5 of their existence?

That's where you could see the likes of Duchene exposed. Big cap number for multiple years. Teams might be able to get a better deal with another free agent for less cap hit.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
no bigger fake drama in NHL land than sweating out, or trying to game, the Expansion draft

expose a bunch of guys
lose only one
move on

the teams that tried hardest to 'manage' the process w Vegas (Panthers, Jackets, Ducks, ...) had the worst outcomes

great topic for over-thinking threads here at HFB, tho, so carry on

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Or they can go 8 and deal Dermott

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl

Campbell

Kerfoot becomes the best available player
How many teams would want to trade and have to use a draft slot on Dermott though? Vast majority of teams already have 3 better D than him

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
How many teams would want to trade and have to use a draft slot on Dermott though? Vast majority of teams already have 3 better D than him

Then they keep Dermott and deal Kerfoot post-expansion draft. Regardless the point was that neither Kerfoot or Dermott are worthy of dealing a 1st to protect one over the other.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
1st + prospect to take on a cap dump is steep. Francis might price himself out of trades if he doesn't take it down a notch.

The price for camp dumps was roughly a 1st in the Vegas expansion draft. And now cap space has only become even more valuable.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020

Lou on the Island will try to unload a salary with Seattle. (Ladd, Komarov, Leddy)

Bank on it.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Probably a deal around Philly and Ghost will happen.

I'd just take the salary dump for the right price which means building towards the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad