LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Which teams do you think are going to make a trade to influence Seattle into taking a player? I guess the leafs trade their 1st in 2021 for the guaranteed selection of Alex Kerfoot.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Which teams do you think are going to make a trade to influence Seattle into taking a player? I guess the leafs trade their 1st in 2021 for the guaranteed selection of Alex Kerfoot.
I doubt that. Why would they trade Kerfoot? Why would they pay. If he is exposed, he is likely taken anyway. If they do trade Kerfoot, they can do it at the deadline.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
So protect both of them then
So expose Hyman and pray that Seattle doesn't go for him? I know he is a UFA but still wouldn't take the risk. Plus you can't protect 5 dmen. You're protecting Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie over those 2 so one or both of them are going to be exposed depending on the format chosen.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
So expose Hyman and pray that Seattle doesn't go for him? I know he is a UFA but still wouldn't take the risk. Plus you can't protect 5 dmen. You're protecting Rielly, Muzzin, Brodie over those 2 so one or both of them are going to be exposed depending on the format chosen.
Hyman is not eligible as of right now

Also there is no guarantee that both Muzzin and Brodie are protected

Reactions: Auston Escobar

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Losing Holl isn't an option, losing dermott is unwise, and Seattle has all of the leverage. I want those 2 protected and it's likely going to cost a 1st. Hopefully less but I'm being realistic about it.

Dermott is their #6 defenseman right now, and they have Sandin and Liljegren knocking at the door. I think the Leafs can afford to lose him

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I doubt that. Why would they trade Kerfoot? Why would they pay. If he is exposed, he is likely taken anyway. If they do trade Kerfoot, they can do it at the deadline.
I value Dermott and Holl over Kerfoot, it would free up some cap space for us to resign players like Hyman and Dermott and acquire another goalie. Seattle has all leverage here, we need to pay more than we want to keep what we want.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I value Dermott and Holl over Kerfoot, it would free up some cap space for us to resign players like Hyman and Dermott and acquire another goalie. Seattle has all leverage here, we need to pay more than we want to keep what we want.
Maybe. I would protect Holl if it came to those three. Seattle will get decent players from every team.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
For sure could see Philly doing it. They want to trade for a Dman for their top 4 but know that the ED is a real issue if they do so.

So would make sense if they try and talk to Seattle BEFORE the trade, to try and get something "wink, wink" worked out where both sides are happy.

Fletch gonna Fletch

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Maybe. I would protect Holl if it came to those three. Seattle will get decent players from every team.
I'm just saying given the Leafs current build I'd rather they steal someone not from our blueline which finally looks like a good NHL defense. I would protect Holl > Dermott too

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
How is Hyman exempt? Also Yes I guarentee they will protect those 2 as well as Rielly.
Hyman is a free agent at the end of the season. If Brodie and Muzzin are guaranteed to be protected that should tell you that the Leafs don't agree with your opinions on Holl and Dermott

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Haydn Fleury + 2021 3rd to take Jake Gardiner

Francis gets his own previous 1st round pick and a 3rd. Gardiner has 2 more years left at $4 million and played well this year before getting injured.

Francis could just take Haydn Fleury or Brady Skjei instead. But he would be missing out on a pick and Gardiner could net them an asset if they traded him at $2 million (50% retained).

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad