LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Regarding OP premise consider the Winnipeg Jets.

Currently they have Morrissey, Pionk and DeMelo to protect. The best of a bad group of D. There is some consideration to protect monster Dman Logan Stanley over DeMelo. Choosing the unique player over a sound #4/5 D.

They are obviously rumoured to be trying to trade to upgrade their D.

Given the rumoured price to add Eckholm or Manson or whoever they will want to protect said player.

That means exposing both DeMelo and Stanley unless a deal is struck with Seattle.

Should be some consideration to exposing Morrissey tbh

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I can see the Canes giving up a first to protect their defense. They’ll likely have Bean, Fleury and Skjei unprotected and Francis drafted both Fleury and Bean with first round picks.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Offensively... he absolutely rides the coattails... and I'm a big fan of Zach Hyman.

Don't get me wrong, he contributes in his own way (puck battles, forechecking) and does help his linemates succeed, but without their creativity, Hyman is your typical middle-6 grinder without any sort of "pestiness" to his game.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. To me, someone who rides other players' coattails would not be able to drive a line, or be very effective in all 3 areas of the game.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Colorado is screwed no matter what they do and that is regardless if EJ waives his NMC or not.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Should be some consideration to exposing Morrissey tbh
Can't see that happening.

I do see Chevy swinging a deal (maybe Harkins) to not pick DeMelo or Stanley. It gets a lot more complicated if they also trade for a RHD before the deadline.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I can see the Canes giving up a first to protect their defense. They’ll likely have Bean, Fleury and Skjei unprotected and Francis drafted both Fleury and Bean with first round picks.
Hamilton is a UFA. Still unsigned with 2 weeks to go to the TDL and given their position, won't send a good message to the Canes if they move him.

Not sure how many teams with UFAs that they would like to extend will do so before the ED. Only a week difference between the ED and the start of UFA. So, might as well go to UFA unless you are able to secure an 8 year contract.

Do I think Hamilton warrants an 8 year deal? He's a very good Dman, but he's not elite IMO that the Canes should go 8 years for.

Reactions: bleedgreen

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
We'll take Graves or Toews.

Need to consider that colorado may go 8 Skaters and a goalie to protect more Dman which leaves the possibility of one of Burakovsky or Kadri being exposed to us. We still don't know regarding EJ will he still be a required protection or will he waive it his NMC.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

I don't think the pick suffices. If Bean's exposed, Bean's gone.

Likewise, I think Bean, not the first, is probably the price for us to entice Francis to take someone like Gardiner to create cap space for us.

Bean's precisely the kind of dynamic and exciting young offensive player with years of team control left that Seattle should build around. I don't see Seattle and Francis passing on any opportunity to nab him unless we expose an even better building block.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think the pick suffices. If Bean's exposed, Bean's gone.

Likewise, I think Bean, not the first, is probably the price for us to entice Francis to take someone like Gardiner to create cap space for us.

Bean's precisely the kind of dynamic and exciting young offensive player with years of team control left that Seattle should build around. I don't see Seattle and Francis passing on any opportunity to nab him unless we expose an even better building block.
We shouldnt be letting go of two defenseman this off season, so I wouldnt use Gardiner in the deal if he's already taking Bean. I think you're right, and if it takes us adding something to the first to keep Bean then so be it. We need him for the same reason Francis will want him.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Yeah there's no point in losing sleep over the prospect of losing a decent player to Seattle. At the end of the day all they get is a #4-5 Dman or 3rd line forward which is relatively easy to replace.
Totally agree

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I think if there's 4 teams that are in terrible positions it's Montreal Minnesota, Colorado, and Tampa.

Montreal has some decent UFA's this summer, specifically Danault and Tatar, who are due for another decent contract and could form 2/3rds of a really solid top-6 line. If Seattle is thinking what I'm thinking this seems like an interesting opportunity to get two pieces of a stable, proven two-way top-6 unit. And Minnesota is in a bind w Dumba Unless Suter waives and they expose him or they protect 4D, which will expose a decent top-9 forward. Colorado has a tough situation with Graves behind Toews, Makar and Girard. Boston is also gonna lose a decent player, either young depth dman or a winger like Kase. Tampa is screwed with McDonagh and have a lot of UFA forwards they can't afford/ don't have spots for.

Other than that, Nashville will have to make a decision with Ekholm, Carolina will lose a young D, St Louis with Dunn or a good young forward, Dallas may be in a tough spot with Jason Dickinson who has been solid this year. Florida will lose a potential top-4 dman in either Gudas or Forsling (assuming they protect Ekblad, Weegar, and either Yandle or one of those two). Nutivaara or Stralman as options too, unless they go 4D in which case they lose a Duclair/Wennberg. And Dreidger potentially who is a UFA. Isles losing a solid dman in Leddy or Mayfield or potentially Dal-Colle. Philly could use the opportunity to clear an expensive forward like Voracek or else a solid bottom-6er like Lindblom or Laughton. Toronto with Holl, Washington with Jensen or a goalie. Winnipeg maybe with Logan Stanley.
Montreal will be resigning danault and letting Tatar walk . Danault won’t wanna move the family for a few extra dollars

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I value Dermott and Holl over Kerfoot, it would free up some cap space for us to resign players like Hyman and Dermott and acquire another goalie. Seattle has all leverage here, we need to pay more than we want to keep what we want.
Did you sign up here 5-6 years ago targeting 2022 as “the year” or are you able to hide username history? :laugh:

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
The price for camp dumps was roughly a 1st in the Vegas expansion draft. And now cap space has only become even more valuable.
I see Seattle really weaponizing that cap space . I think they’ll be looking for 6 or 7 contracts that are expensive with only 2-3 years remaining on them . They’ll take these contracts only with at least a first attached to them . Than they’ll retain 50 % on them and trade them for firsts or seconds . It will be these approximate 15 higher draft picks plus their own that will become the core of the team down the road .

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I see Seattle really weaponizing that cap space . I think they’ll be looking for 6 or 7 contracts that are expensive with only 2-3 years remaining on them . They’ll take these contracts only with at least a first attached to them . Than they’ll retain 50 % on them and trade them for firsts or seconds . It will be these approximate 15 higher draft picks plus their own that will become the core of the team down the road .

Why would Seattle be wasting cap space on dead weight for the next couple years.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Why would Seattle be wasting cap space on dead weight for the next couple years.
Because these approximate 15 high picks plus their own high picks will not be costing them a lot in the first one two three years . Having retained salary on a half a dozen contracts that disappears after a couple years would be well worth the investment of obtaining a boatload of high 2022 draft picks .

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Because these approximate 15 high picks plus their own high picks will not be costing them a lot in the first one two three years . Having retained salary on a half a dozen contracts that disappears after a couple years would be well worth the investment of obtaining a boatload of high 2022 draft picks .

Why would opposing teams give up a 2022 first round picks. I rather not waste potentially 1/4 of cap space on dead weight when its the cap is going to remain flat for a while. 23 players with ~60m available is not a good idea and that's basically saying we should just throw out the next 3 seasons...

Nevermind we have no AHL team until the following season.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You can only retain on 3 contracts at a time, I believe.

Reactions: violaswallet

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Why would opposing teams give up a 2022 first round picks. I rather not waste potentially 1/4 of cap space on dead weight when its the cap is going to remain flat for a while. 23 players with ~60m available is not a good idea and that's basically saying we should just throw out the next 3 seasons...

Nevermind we have no AHL team until the following season.
If teams can get Seattle to take an unwanted contract ( say 6-7-8 million per ) to sign a desirable free agent such as Hamilton for example , to some a first may be worth that .

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
That’s a good point . I never thought of that . Seattle would really wanna max out those three opportunities.

They also might wanna keep a spot or two free for retention on expiring contracts they may move down the road

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad