LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Hyman is a free agent at the end of the season. If Brodie and Muzzin are guaranteed to be protected that should tell you that the Leafs don't agree with your opinions on Holl and Dermott
you either have 7F 3D or 4F 4D if they protect 7 forwards then the 3D they would protect is Rielly Brodie and Muzzin. If they did 4 and 4 they would protect Holl too. My argument is they don't want to lose any of their D and can capitalize on opening up cap space. If a 1st is too much for that then what do you think would convince seattle to pick the player we want them to? Same goes for every team in the league. A late 1st didn't do that much last expansion draft but here people are acting like I'm talking about a top 10 pick or something here. Also I'm pretty sure the expansion team is free to take UFA's it'd just be dumb to do that. Could be wrong there though.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Which teams do you think are going to make a trade to influence Seattle into taking a player? I guess the leafs trade their 1st in 2021 for the guaranteed selection of Alex Kerfoot.

Or they can go 8 and deal Dermott

Tavares
Matthews
Marner
Nylander
Rielly
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl

Campbell

Kerfoot becomes the best available player

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
For the next few months Francis has the best job in hockey. All the power over a slew of GM’s that mostly will be asking for an audience, hat in hand. King Francis.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Haydn Fleury + 2021 3rd to take Jake Gardiner

Francis gets his own previous 1st round pick and a 3rd. Gardiner has 2 more years left at $4 million and played well this year before getting injured.

Francis could just take Haydn Fleury or Brady Skjei instead. But he would be missing out on a pick and Gardiner could net them an asset if they traded him at $2 million (50% retained).
If he wants Fleury he'll just take him. No way he's taking on Gardiner's contract for just a 3rd round pick. He's a pretty negative asset at this point. He could very well try to bend us over a barrel and I can't really blame him. Just let him take one of the guys we can't protect. Only pay assets to keep around Bean.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Which teams do you think are going to make a trade to influence Seattle into taking a player? I guess the leafs trade their 1st in 2021 for the guaranteed selection of Alex Kerfoot.
Holl will be protected in 4F-4D format. Likely Dermott is gone over Engvall or Joey Anderson, once Kerfoot gets his next signing bonus he is owed 3.45m in salary over the next 2 years opposed to 7m over two years (3.5m cap hit for 2 years); he'll be very easy to move & will be of some value to lower budget lower cap teams.

Reactions: The Podium

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I'd rather trade Rielly at this point.

That’s an option too, and then deal for/sign another top pairing D after the expansion draft.

Regardless Toronto has options, pending what they do at the TDL, and Francis’ position isn’t strong enough to warrant Toronto dealing a 1st

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Holl will be protected in 4F-4D format. Likely Dermott is gone over Engvall or Joey Anderson, once Kerfoot gets his next signing bonus he is owed 3.45m in salary over the next 2 years opposed to 7m over two years (3.5m cap hit for 2 years); he'll be very easy to move & will be of some value to lower budget lower cap teams.
Do people not like Dermott? I only am suggesting this move so we can keep dermott here because He is going to replace Rielly once we don't resign him and if it isn't him then he will keep being good on the bottom pair and Sandin will take Riellys spot. If people aren't with him then that's fine I can't change that mind. But I'd rather make a move to keep Dermott and lose Kerfoot/open cap space

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For sure could see Philly doing it. They want to trade for a Dman for their top 4 but know that the ED is a real issue if they do so.

So would make sense if they try and talk to Seattle BEFORE the trade, to try and get something "wink, wink" worked out where both sides are happy.

Fletch gonna Fletch
So, you pay the high price to land a top 4Dman. Then you follow that up with trading another asset to ensure Seattle doesn't take that guy? The cost of acquiring this top 4Dman becomes insanely high for a team whose Goalie is struggling mightily this season.

Not worth the price tag.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
1st + prospect to take on a cap dump is steep. Francis might price himself out of trades if he doesn't take it down a notch.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
That’s an option too, and then deal for/sign another top pairing D after the expansion draft.

Regardless Toronto has options, pending what they do at the TDL, and Francis’ position isn’t strong enough to warrant Toronto dealing a 1st
I mean do you remember Minnesota? They traded a former 1st round prospect (Tuch) so the golden knights would select Erik Haula and not touch their defense. I'm expecting the same types of trades but I expect the leafs 1st rounder to be late so it'd probably be worth less than Tuch.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kinda crazy how teams are calling to not lose their players. They should add teams once every 10 years since the span between VGK and Seattle were close to one another.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
I mean do you remember Minnesota? They traded a former 1st round prospect (Tuch) so the golden knights would select Erik Haula and not touch their defense. I'm expecting the same types of trades but I expect the leafs 1st rounder to be late so it'd probably be worth less than Tuch.

I don’t expect the Leafs to be that torn over losing Kerfoot or Dermott, not enough to warrant losing a valuable asset. Not to mention a lot of the GMs regret the deals the made with Vegas

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I don’t expect the Leafs to be that torn over losing Kerfoot or Dermott, not enough to warrant losing a valuable asset. Not to mention a lot of the GMs regret the deals the made with Vegas
Yes but those regrets were due to negligence. Like who didn't know that giving up Marchessault was a mistake. But at the same time that's why I don't want them to have Dermott. Because of people in the lineup he has been forced into a bottom pair role which he has been too good for for two seasons now. Basically giving a 23 Y/O top 4 dman away for nothing? I'd rather lose Kerfoot and whatever pick.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Do people not like Dermott? I only am suggesting this move so we can keep dermott here because He is going to replace Rielly once we don't resign him and if it isn't him then he will keep being good on the bottom pair and Sandin will take Riellys spot. If people aren't with him then that's fine I can't change that mind. But I'd rather make a move to keep Dermott and lose Kerfoot/open cap space
I wouldn't say people don't like Dermott but they may value him differently than you do, I see him as being pretty expendable if someone's gotta go. I would not saying Rielly leaving is certain, there's probably a good chance (>50%) he stays.

And keeping Dermott is not worth giving up Kerfoot + a 1st when they could expose & lose Dermott (or another player), deal Kerfoot for asset(s) (likely better than the Johnson trade considering the owed salary), while keeping their 1st round pick.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

Agree, submit your lists and let Seattle select their player.

Just ask teams like Minnesota, Florida, Anaheim and Columbus how things worked out for them last expansion draft trying to influence Seattle from not selecting certain player(s).

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I like Dermot, but overall, he is one guy we can lose.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I wouldn't say people don't like Dermott but they may value him differently than you do, I see him as being pretty expendable if someone's gotta go. I would not saying Rielly leaving is certain, there's probably a good chance (>50%) he stays.

And keeping Dermott is not worth giving up Kerfoot + a 1st when they could expose & lose Dermott (or another player), deal Kerfoot for asset(s) (likely better than the Johnson trade considering the owed salary), while keeping their 1st round pick.
I see Dermott as a player that can very well be a big part of this team until after his UFA years. His ADV stats and 5v5 metrics are the best on the Leafs and I know that Dubas looks for and values players like that. Kerfoot if anything is super replaceable by getting a better winger (wait a year for Robertson) or letting Engvall play C (which he has been). Maybe not a 1st if it's not what is required but I think getting rid of Dermott would be a huge mistake and I personally would pay handsomely to make sure we don't lose him. I still say entice Seattle to take Kerfoot. You get extra cap $, you can replace him easier, and he is less valuable to the organization.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Could definitely see this pertaining to Sakic. If he can get assurances that Seattle will take Graves then he'd be more at liberty with adding another forward with term, like Miles Wood.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2