LeBrun: Teams calling Seattle ahead of the deadline about expansion protection for acquired players

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I think if there's 4 teams that are in terrible positions it's Montreal Minnesota, Colorado, and Tampa.

Montreal has some decent UFA's this summer, specifically Danault and Tatar, who are due for another decent contract and could form 2/3rds of a really solid top-6 line. If Seattle is thinking what I'm thinking this seems like an interesting opportunity to get two pieces of a stable, proven two-way top-6 unit. And Minnesota is in a bind w Dumba Unless Suter waives and they expose him or they protect 4D, which will expose a decent top-9 forward. Colorado has a tough situation with Graves behind Toews, Makar and Girard. Boston is also gonna lose a decent player, either young depth dman or a winger like Kase. Tampa is screwed with McDonagh and have a lot of UFA forwards they can't afford/ don't have spots for.

Other than that, Nashville will have to make a decision with Ekholm, Carolina will lose a young D, St Louis with Dunn or a good young forward, Dallas may be in a tough spot with Jason Dickinson who has been solid this year. Florida will lose a potential top-4 dman in either Gudas or Forsling (assuming they protect Ekblad, Weegar, and either Yandle or one of those two). Nutivaara or Stralman as options too, unless they go 4D in which case they lose a Duclair/Wennberg. And Dreidger potentially who is a UFA. Isles losing a solid dman in Leddy or Mayfield or potentially Dal-Colle. Philly could use the opportunity to clear an expensive forward like Voracek or else a solid bottom-6er like Lindblom or Laughton. Toronto with Holl, Washington with Jensen or a goalie. Winnipeg maybe with Logan Stanley.
Avs aren't in terrible position. Yes they'll lose a decent player, but it'll actually help to get a $3m+ contract off the roster next season.

They'll go 7+3+1:

Mackinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Kadri
Burakovsky
Nichuskin
Jost

Makar
Girard
Toews

Grubauer

Exposed:
- Compher, Donskoi, O'Connor
- Graves, MacDonald, Johnson (either he waives his NMC or he'll get bought out or traded, simple as that)
- Francouz

Avs have good depth on D so even if they lose Graves they'll be fine, especially given how well MacDonald has done this year (he led the league in Corsi last time I checked):

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Byram
MacDonald - Timmins/Johnson

A no.5/6 LHD is also one of the easiest positions to fill so if needed Avs could easily just sign an UFA Dman if needed.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Unlikely... barring any sort of substantial deadline addition with term.

Dermott is replacable, but Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin and Holl are not.

Up front, the Leafs have the big 4, Hyman who's a UFA, and then a bunch of other guys who are either:
a) impending UFAs -- see Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds
b) exempt -- see Mikheyev
c) replacable from Toronto's standpoint -- see Kerfoot, Engvall
You are right. I thought Holl was in his final yr.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Then they keep Dermott and deal Kerfoot post-expansion draft. Regardless the point was that neither Kerfoot or Dermott are worthy of dealing a 1st to protect one over the other.
and really, the Leafs would be better off using the 1st on ANOTHER Dman...then lose that guy in the ED and still have Dermot after the ED. AT least they add a Dman for this playoff run AND keep Dermott for the future.

Much better use of a 1st

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Unlikely... barring any sort of substantial deadline addition with term.

Dermott is replacable, but Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin and Holl are not.

Up front, the Leafs have the big 4, Hyman who's a UFA, and then a bunch of other guys who are either:
a) impending UFAs -- see Thornton, Spezza, Simmonds
b) exempt -- see Mikheyev
c) replacable from Toronto's standpoint -- see Kerfoot, Engvall

Resign the old guys after the expansion draft.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I think if there's 4 teams that are in terrible positions it's Montreal Minnesota, Colorado, and Tampa.

Montreal has some decent UFA's this summer, specifically Danault and Tatar, who are due for another decent contract and could form 2/3rds of a really solid top-6 line. If Seattle is thinking what I'm thinking this seems like an interesting opportunity to get two pieces of a stable, proven two-way top-6 unit. And Minnesota is in a bind w Dumba Unless Suter waives and they expose him or they protect 4D, which will expose a decent top-9 forward. Colorado has a tough situation with Graves behind Toews, Makar and Girard. Boston is also gonna lose a decent player, either young depth dman or a winger like Kase. Tampa is screwed with McDonagh and have a lot of UFA forwards they can't afford/ don't have spots for.

Other than that, Nashville will have to make a decision with Ekholm, Carolina will lose a young D, St Louis with Dunn or a good young forward, Dallas may be in a tough spot with Jason Dickinson who has been solid this year. Florida will lose a potential top-4 dman in either Gudas or Forsling (assuming they protect Ekblad, Weegar, and either Yandle or one of those two). Nutivaara or Stralman as options too, unless they go 4D in which case they lose a Duclair/Wennberg. And Dreidger potentially who is a UFA. Isles losing a solid dman in Leddy or Mayfield or potentially Dal-Colle. Philly could use the opportunity to clear an expensive forward like Voracek or else a solid bottom-6er like Lindblom or Laughton. Toronto with Holl, Washington with Jensen or a goalie. Winnipeg maybe with Logan Stanley.
I don't think Colorado has a tough decision to make at all. Losing a 3rd pairing D in Graves in inconsequential.

MisterT

Nov 29, 2006
Do people not like Dermott? I only am suggesting this move so we can keep dermott here because He is going to replace Rielly once we don't resign him and if it isn't him then he will keep being good on the bottom pair and Sandin will take Riellys spot. If people aren't with him then that's fine I can't change that mind. But I'd rather make a move to keep Dermott and lose Kerfoot/open cap space
Dermott doesn’t have the skill set to replace Rielly.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
How many teams would want to trade and have to use a draft slot on Dermott though? Vast majority of teams already have 3 better D than him

This.. hence why it should almost be a forgone conclusion that the Kraken will get him; unless of course they just happen to be reasonably ambivalent between Kerfoot & him...which could be a possibility given that most teams will protect 7F, and very few teams have 7 forwards better than Kerfoot.

Reactions: Magic Man

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
no bigger fake drama in NHL land than sweating out, or trying to game, the Expansion draft

expose a bunch of guys
lose only one
move on

the teams that tried hardest to 'manage' the process w Vegas (Panthers, Jackets, Ducks, ...) had the worst outcomes

great topic for over-thinking threads here at HFB, tho, so carry on

Yup - just assume your team will lose 3rd pair D or a bottom-6 forward or an over-ripe prospect.

Getting Seattle to take your cap dump? LOLOLOL. Don't do it. Because of how valuable cap space is in the near future it will be extremely expensive and you'll be the Panthers/Jackets/Ducks.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Avs aren't in terrible position. Yes they'll lose a decent player, but it'll actually help to get a $3m+ contract off the roster next season.

They'll go 7+3+1:

Mackinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Kadri
Burakovsky
Nichuskin
Jost

Makar
Girard
Toews

Grubauer

Exposed:
- Graves, MacDonald, Johnson (either he waives his NMC or he'll get bought out or traded, simple as that)
- Francouz

Avs have good depth on D so even if they lose Graves they'll be fine, especially given how well MacDonald has done this year (he led the league in Corsi last time I checked):

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Byram

A no.5/6 LHD is also one of the easiest positions to fill so if needed Avs could easily just sign an UFA Dman if needed.

I don't see how EJ would waive his NMC. No benefit to him.

Even if they had to go 4-4, Landy is not signed yet, so they could leave him unsigned til the ED. Then they would still protect Mack, Rant, Kadri and 1 other forward. Even if they extended Landy, if they lost a $4 mill cap hit forward, that might not be a terrible thing. And it Still leaves Graves available on D.

Not the worst case scenario. Not worth moving assets out or eating dead cap space IMO. Jost hasn't really done much in his 4 NHL seasons. He would have 3 years of RFA left, but is now arbitration eligible. They have Bowers/Kaut as former 1st rounders who could come up and take his spot.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

They'll go 7+3+1:

Mackinnon
Rantanen
Landeskog
Kadri
Burakovsky
Nichuskin
Jost

Makar
Girard
Toews

Grubauer

Exposed:
- Francouz

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Byram

It should be pretty easy to make a deal with Seattle. Graves is the guy they should probably realistically take anyway. Give them a bonus mid-round pick to make it official and avoid a somewhat uncomfortable situation w/ EJ.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Tampa should do what they can to keep Palat, but they'll have to come up with something very enticing.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Even if they had to go 4-4, Landy is not signed yet, so they could leave him unsigned til the ED. Then they would still protect Mack, Rant, Kadri and 1 other forward. Even if they extended Landy, if they lost a $4 mill cap hit forward, that might not be a terrible thing. And it Still leaves Graves available on D.

Not the worst case scenario. Not worth moving assets out or eating dead cap space IMO. Jost hasn't really done much in his 4 NHL seasons. He would have 3 years of RFA left, but is now arbitration eligible. They have Bowers/Kaut as former 1st rounders who could come up and take his spot.
No benefit? There's no way Sakic is going to risk losing good players like Toews, Burakovsky, Nichuskin, or Jost just to satisfy Johnson. If he wants to stay on the team his best option is to waive. If he digs in his heels he'll force Sakic to buy him out just as he did last time with Beauchemin.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It should be pretty easy to make a deal with Seattle. Graves is the guy they should probably realistically take anyway. Give them a bonus mid-round pick to make it official and avoid a somewhat uncomfortable situation w/ EJ.
You don't need to give Seattle anything. If they take EJ over Graves or Donskoi they are morons. Sakic will call their bluff and let them pick whoever they want.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I value Dermott and Holl over Kerfoot, it would free up some cap space for us to resign players like Hyman and Dermott and acquire another goalie. Seattle has all leverage here, we need to pay more than we want to keep what we want.

Dermott doesn't need to be signed he's not needed

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You don't need to give Seattle anything. If they take EJ over Graves or Donskoi they are morons. Sakic will call their bluff and let them pick whoever they want.

Gotta get EJ to waive for that to happen, which he doesn't have to do. If you can get out in front of the whole thing at the cost of a mediocre draft pick, I won't complain.

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021

Leaving Landeskog exposed has disaster written all over it. Seattle is in a position to overpay players. Don't even tempt it.

Reactions: Richard88

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No benefit? There's no way Sakic is going to risk losing good players like Toews, Burakovsky, Nichuskin, or Jost just to satisfy Johnson. If he wants to stay on the team his best option is to waive. If he digs in his heels he'll force Sakic to buy him out just as he did last time with Beauchemin.
I see them doing 4-4 to protect Toew, Makar, Girard and EJ. Leaving Graves on D.

If they feel that they are better off with $2 mill in dead cap for the next 4 seasons, that's their perogative as well.

Are they really better off not having both EJ and Graves?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Habs won't sign Danault and Tatar before the ED. They'll have handshake deals with both of them to sign them after the ED. If SEA wants to overpay to get them (6x6 kind of deal) so be it, but there's slim to no chance this happens

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Habs won't sign Danault and Tatar before the ED. They'll have handshake deals with both of them to sign them after the ED. If SEA wants to overpay to get them (6x6 kind of deal) so be it, but there's slim to no chance this happens
Seattle would jump at the chance to get a Selke level C who can play against the opposition top line. That gives them a great base from which to build a competitive team even without a true 1C.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I see them doing 4-4 to protect Toew, Makar, Girard and EJ. Leaving Graves on D.

If they feel that they are better off with $2 mill in dead cap for the next 4 seasons, that's their perogative as well.

Are they really better off not having both EJ and Graves?
I'm sure if you ask most Avs fans they'd be happy to have $9m capspace over Johnson and Graves on the third pair.

Going 4+4 means losing Burakovsky or Nichuskin or Jost. I don't see that happening.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm sure if you ask most Avs fans they'd be happy to have $9m capspace over Johnson and Graves on the third pair.

Going 4+4 means losing Burakovsky or Nichuskin or Jost. I don't see that happening.
If they buyout EJ that’s $2 mill in dead space. So it’s $7 mill in cap space.

their choice. I personally don’t think it’s worth trading with Seattle. It blew up in a few teams faces trying to over think things. Either lose your 4th best Dman/8th best forward or your 5th best forward, 5th best Dman. Unless you have a goalie that you expect to lose.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Seattle would jump at the chance to get a Selke level C who can play against the opposition top line. That gives them a great base from which to build a competitive team even without a true 1C.

Possibly, but at a salary around 6-7M a year, that's a ridiculous overpayment that would hurt then in the ling run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad